Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
So I'm not sure if this has been done before, but for this thread, let's argue for the opposite of what we really think. The Christians will argue against Christianity, everyone else will argue for it.
Rules:
1) No parodying. Try not to make stupid arguments on purpose. Try and argue intelligently, or at least the same as outside the thread. Tongue
2) No misquoting. Don't quote people outside the thread on what they say on it to make them seem like hypocrites or something. Remember, this is the OPPOSITE of what we think.

Let me start with a little history:
There are at least four mythological characters throughout history who are so similar that they are probably all a retelling of the same myth. These are Attis, Horus, Jesus, and Zoroaster. Let's take a look at some similarities:

Attis
Died to save us, depicted with a lamb, born of a virgin on Christmas, crucified on a Friday, redeemed people with blood, descended and resurrected after 3 days, called God, religion involves eucharist
Horus
Born of a virgin, heralded by an angel and a star, crucified between 2 criminals, resurrected after 3 days, had 12 disciples, gave sermon on a mount, transfigured, buried in a tomb, fished, fulfilled the law, baptized in a river, performed miracles, called Holy, Way, Truth, Light, Messiah, Anointed, Son of Man, Good Shepherd, Lamb, Word made Flesh
Zoroaster
Born of a virgin, baptized in a river, did miracles, called Word made Flesh, talked with wise men, baptized people, tempted by Satan in the wilderness, taught about Hell, Apocalypse, etc., 2nd coming expected, religion involves eucharist

All 3 of these characters were part of religions before Jesus, and yet Jesus's stories have elements taken from ALL of them. So it doesn't take much deductive reasoning to see why this late-coming, plagiarized story is a stupid one to believe in.
RE: Devil's Advocate
The gospels do not have any of the hallmarks of myths. They are eyewitness accounts from real people detailing events in a rather matter of fact sort of way. They instead show all the hallmarks of good historical writing.

None of the supposed myths that resemble the Jesus story come from before Jesus's time. It is reasonable to conclude that they are all in fact derived from the story of Jesus, not the other way around.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(January 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm)Tea Earl Grey Hot Wrote: The gospels do not have any of the hallmarks of myths. They are eyewitness accounts from real people detailing events in a rather matter of fact sort of way. They instead show all the hallmarks of good historical writing.

None of the supposed myths that resemble the Jesus story come from before Jesus's time. It is reasonable to conclude that they are all in fact derived from the story of Jesus, not the other way around.

Lol.
I don't see this working somehow....
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
I've tried 6 different times and the arguments are so foolish they all read like parodies.
(January 13, 2014 at 3:12 am)Drich Wrote: I've tried 6 different times and the arguments are so foolish they all read like parodies.

Now you know what it looks like when we read your arguments. I ether laugh or reach for the gravol.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(January 13, 2014 at 3:12 am)Drich Wrote: I've tried 6 different times and the arguments are so foolish they all read like parodies.

Did you try 6 different arguments or just a few, several times?
The only argument that is actually necessary is: [insert follower of religion] has not met their burden of proof.
Something tells me you didn't try that one.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Psalm 14.1 "The fool has said in his heart, there is no God."

(Shudders)

One wonders what that looked like. Go on, post a few: we could all do with a laugh, since we're already speculating.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
It's the typical Minnie/cinny fare, stuff like Christ never existed, you have no proof for Christ, your an idiot for faith without proof, despite the fact we have more period manuscripts of Christ than we do any other historical figure of that period.

Then on to the figures mentioned here I was looking to reenforce the Idea that the soceity the gods mention we far older than Judaism or Christianity, but fact and reason kept me from it. In that when one does the actual era search (outside the zeitgeist propaganda movie) we find none of the attributes tying them to Jesus are true. Or we find the oldest source of information we have on those gods are more recent than the events of the NT.

So do you see the problem? To use the standard arguments calling for 'proof' while ignoring existing proof would make me portray the atheist as a hypocritical moron. Yet the irony is I was planing to use arguments I have already faced

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Devil just needs a character rewrite Nachos_of_Nurgle 16 1535 February 16, 2022 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2339 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8503 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Devil downbeatplumb 64 9393 November 29, 2016 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  9-year old girl hearing voices of the Devil. Jehanne 103 13904 July 19, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9310 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Why can't I see the devil? KUSA 43 5719 April 1, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Rcc thinks Charlie Hebdo is the devil GUBU 76 15707 January 12, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Belief in The Devil in 2015 Iroscato 71 15690 April 16, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Angry pastor warns Katy Perry’s devil sex music is preparing teens for the Antichrist abaris 60 12659 March 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist