Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Devil
The Devil
My question is about the motivation of the devil character in the bible.

The character is written as evil but torments people who are or have been evil.

If the devil is supposed to be evil why did the author give it this trait, which seems to conflict with its main drive?

Surely if the devil wanted to encourage evil acts then hell would be advertised as a super fun place with willing sexual partners of your choice and all the big macs you can eat

Is this inconsistency down to:

bad writing?
an oversight?

or what?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: The Devil
Both I think.

God not only allows the devil to do stuff, he actually sends him on missions.

Of course, the character of the devil evolves during the bible.

He is of course a scapegoat to handle the problem of evil.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
https://youtu.be/j-gbOnWj6Mw
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Who has Lucifer killed?

We know god killed many. Lucifer simply tempted man and refused to bow to a power hungry narcissist.

Seems like a pretty cool guy to me.

Hail Satan!
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

I believe the count is ten. God, the good guy, is into the millions between direct murders and ordered slaughters.

Index of my best videos
(November 19, 2016 at 5:10 am)robvalue Wrote: He is of course a scapegoat to handle the problem of evil.

Precisely, the devil is nothing more than a scapegoat for humanity's unwillingness to accept personal responsibility of wrongdoing.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I don't recall where, but I saw some renaissance depiction of the damned in hell. Demons, fire, the whole nine yards.

But all the tormented are smiling.

Might be a suggestion then the condemned revel in their wickedness and reap willingly their torments.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Jake on TBR said something like, "I don't understand how Satan gets to do anything, ever. Is god like, 'Ah, you can have this one. Go ahead.' "

Index of my best videos
(November 20, 2016 at 3:45 am)robvalue Wrote: Jake on TBR said something like, "I don't understand how Satan gets to do anything, ever. Is god like, 'Ah, you can have this one. Go ahead.' "

Indeed doesn't st Peter do the sorting and send the Devil the "evil" people or something, like the sorting hat in Harry Potter "Your an evil shit I see, Slytherin for you!"

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Haha yeah, something like that.

"You've been a bad boy. You don't get to listen to endless harp music, have your free will removed so you can't sin, and endlessly kiss the ringhole of a sadistic tyrant."

"Score!"

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Devil just needs a character rewrite Nachos_of_Nurgle 16 1514 February 16, 2022 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2297 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8462 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  9-year old girl hearing voices of the Devil. Jehanne 103 13854 July 19, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9156 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Why can't I see the devil? KUSA 43 5709 April 1, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Rcc thinks Charlie Hebdo is the devil GUBU 76 15633 January 12, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Belief in The Devil in 2015 Iroscato 71 15641 April 16, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Angry pastor warns Katy Perry’s devil sex music is preparing teens for the Antichrist abaris 60 12606 March 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Theist wins lawsuit because he's "afraid of the devil" Foxaèr 17 3565 January 28, 2015 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain