Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Rene Descartes and his followers really torture animals?
Did Rene Descartes and his followers really torture animals?
While reading The Christian Delusion, on pg. 253 co-author and editor John W. Loftus writes: "Descartes' followers used this [that animals are little more than machines] as an excuse to torture, kill, and experiment on live animals. As a result, Peter Singer tells us, experimenters "administered beatings to dogs with perfect indifference, and made fun of those who pitied the creatures as if they felt pain. They said the animals were clocks; that the cries they emitted when struck were only the noise of a little spring that had been touched, but that the whole body was without feeling. They nailed poor animals up on boards by their four paws to vivisect them and see the circulation of the blood, which was a great subject of conversation."' A brief Google search turned up the claim that "Descartes dissected his wife's dog to prove a point." Being the skeptic that I am, I like to locate the historical origin of claims, and not that these contradict Descartes' own stated ethic on animal suffering, but I would like to know their source. Do any of Descartes' own writings include these heinous acts? His colleagues'? His followers'? Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks.
RE: Did Rene Descartes and his followers really torture animals?
It would not have been considered particularly heinous in Descart's time.
RE: Did Rene Descartes and his followers really torture animals?
http://knowledgenuts.com/2013/09/29/desc...e-a-point/

Yes, it appears he did torture a dog to death. But in his defence, he did not have the benefit of modern science & truly believed that the dog felt no pain. He believed bodies were merely mechanical machines, & that only humans had souls & therefore only humans could feel pain or think. I wouldn't say Rene was necessarily immoral for doing these things, but rather that this is an example of how religion can brainwash people into doing heinous acts.

As Rene said himself; "The greatest minds are capable of the greatest vices as well as of the greatest virtues."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2121 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are the animals luckier than humans? TrueNorth 13 821 August 19, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  My House Did not have a Builder (or did it?) Dan Brooks 180 25952 January 8, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  To explain why we can define God to affirm his existence! Mystic 119 11539 March 24, 2017 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Moral law in Humans and other animals The Reality Salesman01 13 4064 February 28, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
Sad Animals and Death StealthySkeptic 14 3071 August 27, 2014 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Would non-domesticated animals go extinct if we all turned vegan? ideologue08 0 1388 May 19, 2013 at 7:42 am
Last Post: ideologue08
Question Is absolute 'nothing' really possible and/or coherent? Tea Earl Grey Hot 49 19849 April 22, 2012 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Karl Marx followers? Marx 18 9174 December 23, 2010 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: GANIMEDE