Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would The World Be A Better Place...?
Would The World Be A Better Place...?
Would the world be a better place if the atheists who waste their time debating Christians (especially the Fundies) or who waste time thinking about some stereotypical Christian instead turned their attention back to secularism, well more specifically humanism and progressiveness?

Why should we waste our time arguing about whether God can cook a burrito or other shit that matters in the least when we can pursue a constant lust for knowledge?

How can we progress as a society when so many waste their talents on issues that don't matter at all and serve humanity no purpose while lying to ourselves that we're somehow doing a good job by debating people who can't actually defend their beliefs through empirical findings?

I don't know all about you, but I'd rather see humanism get the chance it deserves than everyone simply follow in the footsteps of Dawkins who could have been more than what he became.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
RE: Would The World Be A Better Place...?
That question can be flipped.
Says the Christian who signed up in an atheist forum.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
So we should let them teach creation myths in science classrooms? Fat chance.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

(January 21, 2014 at 11:04 pm)Ivy Wrote: Says the Christian who signed up in an atheist forum.

I usually post as an atheist would. My posts usually are about how you online atheists have moved away from secularism. I never have to defend my faith because online atheists don't even value a secular upbringing.

(January 21, 2014 at 10:59 pm)Boris Karloff Wrote: That question can be flipped.

Yes and American atheists can continue to lag behind their mainland European counterparts. It was the atheists there that made the difference. They pushed for actual results that would better humanity.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Wait...so you're a Christian who also wants to tell us how to be better atheists?

That's a new one : P
(January 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm)Polaris Wrote: Yes and American atheists can continue to lag behind their mainland European counterparts. It was the atheists there that made the difference.

Q.F.T. Hear that bitches, I'm better at atheisting than you are! *neener neener!*
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(January 21, 2014 at 11:12 pm)Kayenneh Wrote:
(January 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm)Polaris Wrote: Yes and American atheists can continue to lag behind their mainland European counterparts. It was the atheists there that made the difference.

Q.F.T. Hear that bitches, I'm better at atheisting than you are! *neener neener!*

Actually, many Christians (I've even met a few Moslems who were just the same) are better at adhering to secular values (is there such a thing as a better atheist? *obvious hypothetical question for anyone who actually wants to answer*) than people who like to boast that they are atheist (that in no way means that the average Christian is more knowledgeable than the average atheist....studies have shown quite the opposite).

Plus I get you guys to think more about secularism in this vein if I say I am a Christian.

But continue to make the same excuses while your country slowly slips back....you won't win anything in pointless debates...you actually have to fight for progressive reform to come about in your country. Sure there will be some debates, but the focus should be on secular results and not wasting your time with people who probably won't even end up voting on most measures (unless of course their Church tells them to do so).
For the umpteenth time, atheism is nothing more than lacking the belief in gods. It doesn't matter if you're religious or not, if you want to stand for secularism and humanism, you will do so regardless of what faith you subscribe to or what you don't. You can be the most introverted people-hater and still be an atheist. You can get up on the barricades with Amnesty or make a six month trip to Africa to build wells as an atheist. There is no political or ideological attachment whatsoever with being an atheist. Now, if you said to a proclaimed humanist that (s)he doesn't do enough humanistic work, it would be a valid debate. But alas, in this case your whole notion is moot.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Too focused on the word atheist to actually see this thread has been about secularism the whole time? Secularism is much more than what can be atheism if there really ever could be anything attributed to atheism.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 995 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1790 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1578 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4479 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 12917 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  If the bible/quran/whatever was better, would you've remained theist? A Handmaid 23 3604 September 14, 2016 at 7:08 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Does Religion Have A Place in the World? InsomniacMike486 23 5729 July 31, 2015 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  I am better off being a christian than an atheist ZeldaAdmirer 13 4396 November 17, 2014 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Why people who are religious are better and more special Mozart Link 30 5051 August 17, 2014 at 8:05 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Stuck between a rock and a hard place JohnNelson98 21 3951 July 26, 2014 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: JohnNelson98