Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Atheists
Question for Atheists
I have a powerful desire to know why the universe exists and our purpose for existence as individuals. I don't see science as a way to discover this. Do atheists search for the same thing and, if so, what is their source or method? I think most atheists don't see any purpose at all.
RE: Question for Atheists

What practical difference is there between a "powerful desire" and an ordinary desire? Is it special in some way?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Of course you can't use science to do that, you've completely messed up the process. You suppose there is a purpose for the universe and humankind without any proof. You're just going to do bad science if you continue on the same way. It's like saying, "how much gold do the pots of gold at the end of rainbows have on average? I believe there's an answer, but I don't think science is the way." Of course not, just go on using your own imagination, it worked so well when you were making things up to ask questions about.
Is it on the level of a sexual fetish perhaps?

Is your desire to find a greater reason why greater than your desire to see what is really there?
For some reason, some people think the universe cares that we exist and that we should care about it in return. The truth of the matter is that the universe is non-sentient, and anything that is non-sentient cannot care about something that is sentient. Sentient humans seem to erroneously think that there must be profound meaning behind everything. There honestly does not have to be any sort of meaning behind anything at all, except when we subscribe meaning to it because we think for some odd reason it deserves meaning where there apparently is none.

The statement that atheists see no purpose to life is likewise erroneous. Life, in its simplest layman's definition, is merely the act of living. Nothing more, no supernatural addage necessary. One does not need a belief in a fairy tale to enjoy life.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
So, you don't see science as the correct method for working out how the universe is, and therefore that precludes the rest of us from disagreeing with you? Dodgy

Besides, suppose there's no purpose to existence, as I do: so what? What changes, for us? Say you figure it out today, that there's no god and no design... are the things you enjoy about the universe suddenly going to stop mattering? Will the things you believe in that are real blink out of existence?

If your answer to those questions is anything but no, then it seems to me you've hitched your wagon to a really terrible crutch.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 31, 2014 at 12:04 am)Kitanetos Wrote: The truth of the matter is that the universe is non-sentient, and anything that is non-sentient cannot care about something that is sentient.

Oh sure it is .. at least in part. Big Grin My part.
(January 30, 2014 at 11:48 pm)Lek Wrote: I have a powerful desire to know why the universe exists and our purpose for existence as individuals. I don't see science as a way to discover this. Do atheists search for the same thing and, if so, what is their source or method? I think most atheists don't see any purpose at all.

What if there is no true purpose, either for us as individuals or even as a race? What if we are just here with no purpose except the ones we give ourselves?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
You make your own purpose. Living for an afterlife isn't a purpose for me. Live a great life, have a great time and if something comes after death(I don't believe it will) than thats the way it is. If nothing happens after death well you won't know about it.
Quote:I have a powerful desire to know why the universe exists and our purpose for existence as individuals.

Good. So you invented a silly fucking story that satisfies your desires.

Now what the fuck are you going to do with the rest of your life?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to atheists Alexmahone 34 4581 July 31, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Alien Question for Atheists Catholic_Lady 99 13323 May 30, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question From Atheists nosferatu323 200 55839 July 4, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Astonished
  A question to all atheists! Gestas 190 19907 January 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question For Fellow Atheists... Autolite 218 21221 January 28, 2017 at 9:50 am
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11849 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
  Question for Atheists tonyc4444 158 22441 March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Thackerie
  A question to atheists EccentricAlien 29 9367 February 15, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11147 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4