Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion - the perfect scam?
Religion - the perfect scam?
It's so good:

1) You just have to read your followers a book each week, and then they "donate" loads of money to you (tax free of course). Don't directly ask for the money, just heavily imply donating it is a good idea.

2) You don't even need to buy a different book each week, you can use the same one - great cost saving.

3) Your followers will raise their own children so that in the future they also donate money to you. If they try and escape then they will be vilified and emotionally guilt tripped into staying.

4) Not only that, but they'll also go around trying to get you more followers for free!

So don't bother starting a pyramid scheme and risk being sent to jail. Take advantage of religious people instead, because it's easy.

On a slightly less tongue-in-cheek not, donations to US churches are very approx $100 billion a year. Think what good could be done with this money (yes, I realise some of this is spent by churches on charitable causes). I am also aware that Church attendances are falling, so it isn't actually quite as easy as that to make money out of Christians.
RE: Religion - the perfect scam?
Quote: Don't directly ask for the money,

The fuckers have no trouble asking.
When I quit going to church I noticed that I had more spending money.
If you are a Christian and want more money become an Atheist.
(February 3, 2014 at 7:35 pm)FreeTony Wrote: It's so good:

1) You just have to read your followers a book each week, and then they "donate" loads of money to you (tax free of course). Don't directly ask for the money, just heavily imply donating it is a good idea.

2) You don't even need to buy a different book each week, you can use the same one - great cost saving.

3) Your followers will raise their own children so that in the future they also donate money to you. If they try and escape then they will be vilified and emotionally guilt tripped into staying.

4) Not only that, but they'll also go around trying to get you more followers for free!

So don't bother starting a pyramid scheme and risk being sent to jail. Take advantage of religious people instead, because it's easy.

On a slightly less tongue-in-cheek not, donations to US churches are very approx $100 billion a year. Think what good could be done with this money (yes, I realise some of this is spent by churches on charitable causes). I am also aware that Church attendances are falling, so it isn't actually quite as easy as that to make money out of Christians.

Who is the you?
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Re: RE: Religion - the perfect scam?
(February 3, 2014 at 11:36 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(February 3, 2014 at 7:35 pm)FreeTony Wrote: It's so good:

Who is the you?

Your preacher.
(February 4, 2014 at 12:02 am)KUSA Wrote:
(February 3, 2014 at 11:36 pm)Godschild Wrote: Who is the you?

Your preacher.

My preacher has no control over the money brought into the church, there's a board that has control over all that's spent and only then if through a vote the congregation approves. The money is divided up among a couple of dozen different things, the pastors salary in only a portion of that. I've even seen a pastors salary lessened to make sure money was available for other programs.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Some of them are pretty fucking direct in asking for the cash. Angel
(February 4, 2014 at 2:26 am)Popsicle Wrote: Some of them are pretty fucking direct in asking for the cash. Angel

How so? I've never really been to church apart from the odd carol service so not sure how it all works. When you're not brought up with this stuff it all just seems weird and pointless.

My impression was that they engineered it so that you would be publically shamed if you don't give cash. Though given you have to give 10% of your salary I'd imagine this is done through a bank transfer? How does it all work?

At best I guess it could be seen as kinda like a service such as a gym, and you are paying for that service. They obviously don't want you to see it like that, but that is essentially what it is. I'm not sure however that you can claim your money back if you find out later your pastor has been teaching you the wrong stuff (well according to the pastor at the church down the road).
The last church I went to one of the associate pastors gave a mini sermon EVERY Sunday before the service began. It was full of guilt, duty, and promises of reward.
They would pass the collection plate around looking if you put something in it. They even had a tithing machine that looked like an ATM. They had someone stand there watching you swipe you debit card and transfer money to them.
The church way paid for and they had so much money they didn't know what to do with it. Although the church was modern and in great shape they had it remodeled and had the parking lot repaved. The parking lot was fine before. It wasn't cracked up or bad looking at all. What a waste of money.
What sorts of amounts are we talking say per week or per year?

The tithing machine sounds amazing. I guess not all science and technology is the work of Satan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 16546 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Greatest Scam onlinebiker 7 687 August 24, 2020 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: no one
  Imperfect perfect Trinity Alex K 8 912 December 14, 2019 at 9:20 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Another NDE Scam Exposed Minimalist 8 1045 April 15, 2018 at 8:41 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  We are God's perfect imperfection. ignoramus 54 14447 July 9, 2017 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 62765 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why would a perfect being make an imperfect world? Socrates 138 30478 February 25, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  The Perfect Religious Doctrine The Reality Salesman01 41 6634 May 15, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10598 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4868 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger