Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we prove Christianity wrong?
Can we prove Christianity wrong?
I've done a fair bit of research into the arguments for and against Christianity. My aim has been to try and see if I could actually proof Christianity wrong. Immediately I can hear all the atheist voices calling in unison "the burden of proof falls on THEM so we don't need to prove it wrong!". I think it's good thing though if we actually try...We'll be arguing from a slightly different angle. If we can't prove it wrong, it might just get me wondering if they might actually have a point...Thinking (I've heard some very good arguments/apologetics for Christianity.)

Mentioned about the bible a lot are the inconsistancies, contradictions and miracles. The bible was written by many various authors so of course there are going to be contradictions so I don't think that we could use the first two examples as evidence against. Miracles could be seen as metaphors.

So here is the quesion again: Can we actually proof Christianity wrong? (And how?)

I challenge you...
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
RE: Can we prove Christianity wrong?
I don't think we can. But I welcome you to try.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Two kinds of proof:
Logically, the philosophy types rightly point out that you can't totally, 100% disprove the existence of a God.
But there again, the chances are so minimal that in practice you can ignore the possibility, as with Russel's teapot and the FSM (sorry, folks!). There might indeed be a headless horseman in the graveyard of the next village to us, but in my everyday life I don't take the possibility into account when walking to the pub.
Only sheep need a shepherd.
Only because your pub is near a bridge though right? The threat of The Headless Horsemen is ever-present!

Rhizo
(December 2, 2009 at 1:58 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Only because your pub is near a bridge though right? The threat of The Headless Horsemen is ever-present!
Rhizo
Uncanny! How did you know there's a bridge? Ooo-er....Thinking
(December 2, 2009 at 1:52 pm)Pope Alfred Wrote: Two kinds of proof:
Logically, the philosophy types rightly point out that you can't totally, 100% disprove the existence of a God.

Maybe it might make it easier if we narrow it down to the bible and Jesus. Christianity claims that Jesus, God and the holy spirit are one. If we can prove the bible wrong and that Jesus wasn't the son of God, then the trinity can't work either.

What do you think?
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
I'm sure we could prove it wrong in a court of law..

Circumstantial evidence only, violates the laws of nature and all the witnesses are dead.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(December 2, 2009 at 3:03 pm)Darwinian Wrote: I'm sure we could prove it wrong in a court of law..

Circumstantial evidence only, violates the laws of nature and all the witnesses are dead.

Well... all physical evidence is 'circumstantial'... but does that necessarily mean it is right or wrong?

Violating the laws of nature is a much stronger point imo Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Depends on the type of proof you want. Scientific investigation needs falsifiable statements, most christian statements however are not formulated falsifiable. There is no test we can do that unambigiously falsifies statements about the christian god, for instance that he is all good. Because of the missing falsifiability characteristic of theistic statements, it is always possible for the theist to devise a posterori arguments, i.e. arguments that after the experiment has been done explains away the result. With truly falsifiable statements this is not possible. Such a statement can either be falsified or verified by the right experiment.

For example take the theistic statements that prayer helps. Through a double blind experiment on patients recovering from operation it was found that patients that were prayed for had a slightly worse recovering history. This is probably due to added stress in the case of patients that knew they were prayed for. Does the average theist register this as proof that prayer is bull, well of course not, because god can't be tested or some other excuse that was thought up afterwards. With unfalsifiable statements this will always be possible. It is always possible to concoct some explanation afterwards. Try it yourself. With a posteriori arguments it is easy to claim that kobolds exist in your backyard, even if you have no backyard at all.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(December 2, 2009 at 3:03 pm)Craveman Wrote: Maybe it might make it easier if we narrow it down to the bible and Jesus. Christianity claims that Jesus, God and the holy spirit are one. If we can prove the bible wrong and that Jesus wasn't the son of God, then the trinity can't work either. What do you think?
Seems to me that might one of the less promising points of attack. Saerules mentioned the violation of physical laws; IMO that's number one. Then it's been clearly shown that prayers aren't answered, contrary to many clear biblical promises. My favourite is to go for the fundamental basic differences between the various christian sects; it's easy to show that very few christians have much idea of what they actually believe in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 9379 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1955 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2724 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11722 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11237 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Christianity Can't Be True Because... pipw1995 75 11555 August 31, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6788 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51163 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3607 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How to prove Christianity is right without trying very hard Dystopia 6 3716 July 15, 2015 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin