Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would it take?
What would it take?
So, as an atheist I am often asked (and often ask myself) what would I accept as evidence of the existence of god (generic theistic version). In an effort to avoid erecting a defensive structure of text, liberal use of hiding abounds. I don't deal with what it would take for me to be convinced that one god was the right one, that's a much thornier one than generic theism.

I can easily state big things, like the sun stopping for hours and the earth not ripping apart, the stars rearranging to spell words that everyone on the planet can see, etc...

My dilemma lies in identifying the minimal amount of evidence I would find as a reasonable basis to believe in god(s). If I can't nail that down, I'm not really able to answer a question my position indicates I should be able to.

PLEASE chime in where you disagree. I like a bit of biting wit pointing out my errors, it gives me entertainment and elucidation Smile

Evidence:

Subjective vs. Objective

Documented vs. Non-Documented

Repeatable vs. Non-repeatable.

I would believe, but couldn't ask you to.

The real question is what would it take for me to feel justified in telling others that I have a reasonable, evidence based argument for the existence of god(s), still in a broad theistic sense.

So my baseline line on feeling reasonable in saying others should believe would have to be a repeatable, successful, directly interactive experience. Basically if we (as people, maybe it rotates or something) could call up god(s) every Friday night, ask them to do stuff, have them do stuff on request that we can observe, and still have no conceivable knowledge of how they do that. And they could still be alien pranksters with technology literally millions of years more advanced than our own.

That seems to be a lot to ask from a theist (god on command) but if I'm honest that's the only thing that would make me feel I would have the right to tell you that I have a position so reasonable and backed with evidence that you are failing to use correct logic yourself if you do not agree with it. Obviously the definition of acceptable validation of evidence can be an issue, but for this thought experiment, assume "Phenomenally well documented evidence" meets whatever criteria you have as a skeptic.

Please let me know what you folk think would be enough to make the case to other god(s) exist. More evidence, less evidence, different evidence, and why. I think the better I can answer this question for myself the better I will be at pruning my bias towards picking 'unexplained' over 'proof' instead of the 50% odds it should be at a well defined threshold point.
RE: What would it take?
It seems to me that the question is asked out of frustration over the lack of any convincing evidence. Which is the religion with the most followers, Christianity? And it has managed to provide enough evidence to convince about 40% of the population of the planet, if we're being charitable?

Maybe they're asking the wrong question. Maybe the right question is "how could you be convinced by such meager, shoddy evidence?"
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
If he ripped open the heavens and dangled his cock from the sky, I'd believe.

If I witnessed stigmata occur on a Christian in front of my face, at the right points, simultaneously, and knew it wasn't some skin disease, I'd probably believe. Or be hella tempted to.

If we found some sort of binary in the genetic code that spelled out "I am here. I designed this." I'd probably believe.

If gay marriage is ever Legalized in Louisiana, I'll know that hell has frozen over. If hell exists, then God exists.
(February 28, 2014 at 4:06 pm)Tonus Wrote: It seems to me that the question is asked out of frustration over the lack of any convincing evidence. Which is the religion with the most followers, Christianity? And it has managed to provide enough evidence to convince about 40% of the population of the planet, if we're being charitable?

Maybe they're asking the wrong question. Maybe the right question is "how could you be convinced by such meager, shoddy evidence?"

The question is asked out of frustration by who? The believer or me? They might be frustrated, I'm just trying to come up with a threshold where I can tell them 'this' is what it would take for me to believe you.

If someone asks me what I would need to believe, and my answer is just 'well your evidence sucks' I'm not answering their question. I'd prefer to give an honest answer in response to a polite question.
If M & Ms would melt in my hands... I would believe. .
If God appeared to me and others simultaneously, that would be enough for me. I don't know why this is impossible for an all powerful deity even though chipmunks can handle it. I can never grasp why the almighty would go out of his way to hide his existence.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(February 28, 2014 at 4:20 pm)truthBtold Wrote: If M & Ms would melt in my hands... I would believe. .

Um, Did I accidentally convert someone? Sad

Who knew God worked at Wallmart? Smile
[Image: 0009473308589_500X500.jpg]
Why should you have to tell them what type of evidence to ask for? Let them show you the best evidence they have. If it's not good enough for you, explain why, so they can try to come up with something different that won't have the same flaw. Just make sure your reasons are logical.

But really, I can't imagine what it would take to convince me. Something big and obvious, unlike any of the "evidence" (and I use the term loosely) that Christians usually present.
(February 28, 2014 at 4:24 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: If God appeared to me and others simultaneously, that would be enough for me. I don't know why this is impossible for an all powerful deity even though chipmunks can handle it. I can never grasp why the almighty would go out of his way to hide his existence.

So something like multiple geographic locations, auditory and/or visual, same message/event for all people. I'm guessing the smaller the group that experiences the more it's personal belief, and the larger the group the more it's a convincing for others belief.

I'm sure you have your own idea of what you mean by 'appear', but am I reading you right?
(February 28, 2014 at 4:19 pm)eyemixer Wrote: The question is asked out of frustration by who? The believer or me?
The believer. I don't approach discussion with theists as if they need to convince me; I am simply interested in hearing why they believe what they believe. If their presentation is not convincing, the question "what would it take" can legitimately be answered with "more than you've presented so far."

To elaborate on that, keep in mind that we're not just talking about a few bits of evidence that might be relevant and a few objections that can be explained away. Nor is the theist presenting the justifications for his belief and being met with "nuh uh" as a response. In some cases we're talking about laughably poor rationalizations for very difficult questions or circumstances (to be charitable). I think that most of the time, the question "what would it take" is designed to set up a situation where the theist can simply exit the discussion without conceding the weakness of his argument. And I think it's important to consider this before attempting to make a sincere attempt at answering that question.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 698 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Don't take it personally. Mystic 83 7336 October 16, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  What godly miracle would it take? Astonished 48 14601 October 8, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 38827 November 16, 2016 at 4:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How long did it take for you to deconvert? What made you change your mind? IanHulett 27 7732 August 6, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  What Would It Take To Be Convinced? PhilosophicalZebra 71 10390 May 6, 2015 at 7:04 pm
  what to do when thiests take you on a guilt trip? Twisted 14 3218 May 4, 2015 at 1:52 pm
  Heh... take a look at this dyresand 15 2591 January 20, 2015 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  UK Atheists told to take of Jesus and Mohammed Tshirts downbeatplumb 11 3940 December 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Take my money, it's from Jesus Napoléon 31 13853 October 1, 2012 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Napoléon