Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would It Take To Be Convinced?
What Would It Take To Be Convinced?
An interesting question to ponder is what would qualify as substantial enough evidence to convince atheists like us of the existence of something greater? If the very simplistic scenario of a big man with a white beard appearing before us was contemplated, most of us would probably still believe it to be more rational to attribute this to some sort of hallucination; thus, this leads to the question: what would be enough to convince us non-believers? I think it's a difficult but interesting thought.
"The chances of each of us coming into existence are infinitesimally small, and even though we shall all die some day, we should count ourselves fantastically lucky to get our decades in the sun." - Richard Dawkins

RE: What Would It Take To Be Convinced?
(May 3, 2015 at 3:20 pm)PhilosophicalZebra Wrote: An interesting question to ponder is what would qualify as substantial enough evidence to convince atheists like us of the existence of something greater? If the very simplistic scenario of a big man with a white beard appearing before us was contemplated, most of us would probably still believe it to be more rational to attribute this to some sort of hallucination; thus, this leads to the question: what would be enough to convince us non-believers? I think it's a difficult but interesting thought.

I honestly have no idea.  Whatever it would possibly be, it would have to withstand examination.  It would have to be, somehow, measurable.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
"Something Greater" would have to show up and prove itself.

I'm not holding my breath on that.
God revealing himself fully to the human race, and demonstrating his power and dominion over the cosmos. He would also have to subject himself to examination and rigorous testing by scientists so that they could categorically prove he is not a mass hallucination. Nothing less would convince me, because that would most certainly qualify as 'clear and undeniable proof'.
To get me to actually like him would require a long and detailed explanation about why he isn't actually omnipotent and other forces as powerful as he prevent him from interfering too much.
Sounding a bit conflicted? Welcome to the workings of the theist mind, where doublethink is the dish of the day!
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
If someone could defy physics in a way that I can show everyone, and they experience the same thing. Do something that can be proven concretely. That would prove he exists. As far as me thinking he's worthy of worship in any way but fear would be another thing.

Yahweh seems to be able to do anything that can be explained in some other way, but nothing that can only be explained by supernatural causes. Like regrowing limbs or something.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'll tell you what it won't take, for me:
  • Unverifiable stories, whether mythology or personal anecdotes.

• PRATT arguments, especially originating from AiG, CSE and similar fraud factories.

• Tortuous logical gymnastics.

• Burden of proof shifting, portable goalposts and especially red herrings.

• Arguments from ignorance/personal incredulity.

• Arguments from popularity.

• God-of-the-gaps.

• Accusations of closed-mindedness, salted with threats of damnation.

• Anything from this list.

• Basically anything that wouldn't withstand detailed scrutiny.

It's not an exhaustive list, nor an unreasonable one.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:Like regrowing limbs or something.

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/newt-...generation

Quote:Urodele amphibians—newts and salamanders—are able to regenerate fully functional limbs in response to amputation. Cells in and near the limb stump dedifferentiate to form a mass of stemlike cells that can produce all the specialized tissues of the limb, such as muscle, nerves, and blood vessels.

Apparently fucking 'god' thinks humans have no need of such a wonderful trick.

[Image: slide_249974_1506090_free.jpg]

Scumbag.
$200 and I'm convinced

Or some real solid evidence, that could work
For me, it cannot be done. As there is no god, anything bizarre enough to suggest so would be either an unknown natural physical process or a hallucination.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(May 3, 2015 at 3:20 pm)PhilosophicalZebra Wrote: An interesting question to ponder is what would qualify as substantial enough evidence to convince atheists like us of the existence of something greater? If the very simplistic scenario of a big man with a white beard appearing before us was contemplated, most of us would probably still believe it to be more rational to attribute this to some sort of hallucination; thus, this leads to the question: what would be enough to convince us non-believers? I think it's a difficult but interesting thought.

If he shows himself to me and i have a lot of questions which i would ask him and if we can satisfy me then i will believe that he is the God

if the theory of evolution fails,if something super natural comes up out of nowhere then i will have to reconsider my beliefs
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 698 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Don't take it personally. Mystic 83 7336 October 16, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  What godly miracle would it take? Astonished 48 14599 October 8, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 38824 November 16, 2016 at 4:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How long did it take for you to deconvert? What made you change your mind? IanHulett 27 7732 August 6, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  what to do when thiests take you on a guilt trip? Twisted 14 3217 May 4, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Heh... take a look at this dyresand 15 2584 January 20, 2015 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  What would it take? eyemixer 18 4019 March 1, 2014 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  UK Atheists told to take of Jesus and Mohammed Tshirts downbeatplumb 11 3940 December 23, 2013 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Take my money, it's from Jesus Napoléon 31 13853 October 1, 2012 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Napoléon