Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What really happens in churches
What really happens in churches
This is for the benefit of atheists who never went through a religious phase and have no idea of what goes on in a church.

The post is from The Clergy Project, a group to which I belong, made up of clergy, both former and active, who have abandoned all supernatural belief. I have edited the post very slightly to make sure that the author and his denomination cannot be identified.
Quote:I just got home from a church council meeting. We spent two hours discussing dysfunctional programs that attract no people and fixing up the building in which those programs don't happen for when those people who don't come show up. We budgeted money for such essentials as paint, rust removal, cleaning, postage (for invitations to those people who don't come to the programs that won't happen) and rodent removal (getting rid of the only lifeforms who seem to actually enjoy the church). We discussed outreach with a youth group that doesn't exist to a youth community that sees nothing relevant in the building that is so well maintained for people who don't show up for the programs that don't work. All of this for a non-existing god who is half-heartedly worshipped (but ardently prayed to when bills come due) with bad music from the turn of the century (the turn before this last one) and with empty platitudes and a lot of complaint and griping (which I am continuing here).

The whole thing seems like a giant Rube Goldberg machine. Rube Goldberg was a cartoonist who came up with designs for impossibly complex machines that did nothing constructive.
I commented:
Quote:I almost split my sides laughing. But if I weren't 30+ years away from my little Lutheran congregation (average attendance 35) I would have been crying.
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House
RE: What really happens in churches
This is SO true.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Funny. I live near 3 large retirement communities; Sun City, Sun City West, and Sun City Grand. The oldest, Sun City opened in 1960 and it was dotted with large churches. You almost can't spit without hitting a church. I, of course, would never be caught dead in one of those dens of iniquity but I have had occasion to drive by them on Sundays and noted the handful of cars or golf carts in the very large parking lots. At least everyone gets a good parking spot. Every so often there is a newspaper story in one of the local rag sheets about some preacher bemoaning the lack of attendance.

BTW, Sun City Grand...which was built in the 90's... is not so big on churches. It does have its own golf course, though and I see plenty of people out there on Sundays!
Why I get wood while sitting on those hard benches. .. I dont know... and my legs fall asleep ..
Shall we use this thread to launch a yearly State of the Faith Report? Sounds like would be participants need something more subtle than the standard programs. But then if anyone develops a more subtle understanding of religion are going to be so different than those who love the tradition. My money is on tradition holding out in the old buildings until the rodents are the last left standing.
Best experience of "church" I every had? Someone's house. Communion was dinner. Wafers were generally pizza. Wine was generally beer. We has discussions on matters theological and supported one another.

Worst was a parochial parish council on which I served a 2 year stint. Did more harm to my faith than anything else, ever. X pastors description is freakishly accurate.
Sith code
What really happens in churches? Jerkoff
Only if you're in the back pew and really, really quiet.
Sith code
This is what happened when I was in church...

Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 3, 2014 at 11:37 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Only if you're in the back pew and really, really quiet.
If you look directly at the clergy, and you listen very closely, you'll see them doing it for pay every day of the week Wink Shades

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1388 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What to do with all the empty churches? I_am_not_mafia 22 4441 March 30, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What Happens When Religion Meets Crazy! Minimalist 4 949 August 30, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What happens to your pets after you're raptured? TaraJo 24 4970 April 27, 2015 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How many churches in your town? Norman Humann 50 7400 January 29, 2015 at 8:54 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  The church to end all churches Twiger 22 5169 May 26, 2014 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Fuck Churches themonkeyman 56 14058 October 26, 2013 at 4:40 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Why I hate the protection from the law which churches give their members. Something completely different 11 6066 February 12, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Churches taunt the IRS by violating 501-c laws on political activism Ziploc Surprise 22 10674 June 26, 2012 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What really goes on in American churches. Napoléon 24 8974 April 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist