Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with all the empty churches?
What to do with all the empty churches?
Happy Easter to you. Now let’s nationalise our churches

Quote:There are 16,000 Church of England churches in England alone. A quarter of them have fewer than 16 worshippers at even intermittent services. For all the efforts of dedicated wardens, most are locked and inaccessible. What is to be done with them?

Quote:Church buildings should be “renationalised”, taken into state ownership, and then transferred to local parish or town councils. They might in turn set up local trusts. These secular bodies would be responsible for subletting churches for community use, which would of course include for Christian worship in whole or part. All denominations would be encouraged to cohabit.

Quote:About 90% of England’s listed parish churches are in villages and small towns. These are places from which pubs, shops, police stations and GP surgeries are now fleeing. Their buildings can at least make way for houses. No one can dispose of a historic church – and rightly so. The sensible answer must be for churches to try to offer some of the community purposes that high streets have abandoned.

Church buildings should revert to what they were when built – places of congregation, comfort and local enterprise. Even if chancels remain in religious use, naves, aisles, towers and churchyards should be adapted for other purposes, with some regulatory latitude. This might embrace not just local shops, but creches, libraries, day centres for the elderly, places to collect a pension, pick up a parcel, connect to wifi, meet a friend or have a drink. We are saddled with these fine buildings. At least we should try to use them.

Personally I don't like the idea of a church tax, but I like the idea of the government renationalising churches and putting them to a different use and making them community centres. Although that happens already. I live opposite a community centre which used to be a church. It's a process that is naturally happening anyway but of course this does mean that there is a risk that a lot of historic buildings will not get sold off and fall into disrepair.
RE: What to do with all the empty churches?
Sunbury, where I live (birthplace of the ashes ...founded 1812), there are very old historic churches that have been declared derelict. What to do?
Knock 'em down? or stabilize them and keep them for the sake of history? I say knock it down ...there's enough old churches to look at...

The good ones, keep for their workmanship and detail if significant.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
4000 unused churches?  You could house a lot of homeless people in those.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
We could give some to the muslims to save them building new mosques.

The muslims would be happy because they would get them for free.
The locals would be happy because the churches blend in better.
The CofE would be happy as they their followers have to fill up other churches.
The Daily Mail would be happy as it would give them something to rant about.
Ha, Romania has more churches , 18300 and just 400 hospitals . We are the top. Wink
Give them away. It's the christian thing to do.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 30, 2018 at 3:39 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 4000 unused churches?  You could house a lot of homeless people in those.

Boru

Most of them seem to be turned into pubs.
Which is surprising as most pubs are being turned into flats.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Animal shelters.

Or brothels.
Walgreens ??

CVS ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 30, 2018 at 6:33 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Animal shelters.

Or brothels.

Or both. Could also have a sideline as a steak house.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1349 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 66907 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  How many churches in your town? Norman Humann 50 7336 January 29, 2015 at 8:54 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  The church to end all churches Twiger 22 5117 May 26, 2014 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  What really happens in churches xpastor 20 4241 March 3, 2014 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  Fuck Churches themonkeyman 56 14034 October 26, 2013 at 4:40 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Excavating The Empty Tomb Minimalist 135 37346 June 6, 2013 at 6:24 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  The Puzzle of the Empty Tomb Smotts 16 5397 April 8, 2013 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why I hate the protection from the law which churches give their members. Something completely different 11 6052 February 12, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
Tongue "How do you explain the empty tomb?" Tea Earl Grey Hot 68 21421 September 9, 2012 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist