Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agnostic leaning towards atheism
Agnostic leaning towards atheism
Hello all who read this introduction Tongue This is going to be kinda long since well I don't have many people to talk to about my feelings on this matter. Let me pour my heart out on the internets then...Tongue

A bit about me quickly, and then I'll get into what brought me to this site in the first place. I'm 25, female, and currently a Philosophy/Psychology dual major with Pre-Medicine. I hope to be a psychiatrist. I suffered from schizophrenia for 7 years (in and out of hospital), and until recently I was unable to pursue my educational goals. I may be a bit late out of the gate, but I'll get there soon enough! Wink I figure my first hand experience of being in a mental facility many times will lend me a bit of sympathy to my future patients (I should mention I am happily, and successfully, medicated; and I am in recovery..it's not going to be a case of the mad leading the mad if that's what your thinking Tongue). I'm in a closed polyamourous relationship with two amazing partners who are religious. Anyway enough of this, and into the meat and potatoes of my introduction.

I was raised without religion. Not in the sense of being an Atheist, but simply in a house that God was not really part of the daily discussion. I knew my mother believed in God, and an afterlife; but, my fathers views have always remained a mystery as he really just never talked about religion (he was raised Catholic...go figure that religion isn't one of his favourite topics). Neither of my parents forced their views upon me, and neither of them even encouraged me to seek out religion. However, I did start 'finding' religion at an early age. (I should mention here that my Grandmother, who was quite an influence on me, does have a strong belief in God. She always encouraged me to share in this belief, and she was the first person that I can pinpoint who put the fear of hellfire into my brain)

My first encounter with organised religion, which in hindsight terrifies me that this is possible, was with the Mormon church. I am a bit of an internet nerd (go figure..being on a forums and all), and needless to say I spent a lot of my early years surfing the internet. At about the age of 10 I happened across a series of books aimed to brainwash...I mean educate... children about the 'truths' of the mormon church. I sent away for the workbooks, and each week I worked though my Jesus booklets, sent it off to be graded, and eagerly awaited my certificate and next booklet. Give a nerd kid a certificate, and she's hooked! I finished the entire series, and at the end I was a legit Jesus-Freak; but not just any kind of Jesus-Freak...a mormon one.

My parents showed some concern with my interest in the mormon church (for obvious reasons), but they have always allowed me my religious journey; and so they didn't interfere. Well soon enough I had finished all the booklets and earned all the certificates. I lost interest in mormonism (effective programme huh?), but I retained my Christianity much to the delight of my Grandmother (a girl brought up in a strict Jehovah's Witness family). She filled me with stories of Jesus's/God's mercy, glory, and horrible terrifying wrath. Mainly she just terrified me with hellfire, and with how I would go there if I didn't behave/live up to Christian standards. Obviously no child wants to burn in hell forever so I obeyed. (I am now convinced this is a form of child abuse, but I understand my Grandmother didn't do this maliciously. It's forgiven, but I've learned I'll never do this to my children when I have them nor shall anyone else for that matter.)

All through most of my early adult life I was comfortable. I was terrified of hell, but I knew that if I behaved I wouldn't have to worry about it. I was a good Christian, and I even considered becoming a nun. Then I found pot...and mushrooms...and then...LSD. I should say I love LSD (a bit too much my doctors would say as it seriously helped bring out my schizophrenia much earlier than it probably would have otherwise. I now do it only occasionally, not like I used to). I've tripped so many times, and at so many different doses, I can no longer count; and acid was an integral turning point in my spiritual journey. I taught me to question things.

I learned, like everyone does, that parents and adults can lie at an early age; but for some reason it wasn't until I took LSD (and not on my first trip by any means) that I realised that they could also lie about religion. I must admit this realisation shocked me. I became an atheist, but I couldn't ever escape my fear of hellfire or pleading with God when times got tough or I was afraid. I was always drawn back to religion, and so I kept looking. I found Islam in my early 20's (around 21). I became a radical Muslim. I wore niqab (face covering), prayed five times a day, fasted, didn't associate with men, and only kept other Muslim friends. The whole shebang. My parents again showed concern, but they respected my decision (although my father rather hesitantly). I lived like this for three years, and I should stress this was total immersion as in it was all I read about, talked about, and thought about.

I became a complete faith-head. Embarrassingly I admit I stopped thinking critically, and most importantly I stopped thinking for myself. I believed and followed the dogmas of Islam to the letter, and I felt it was the only answer. Anything contradictory (this included evolution I, again embarrassingly, admit) was tossed aside as a Western plot to destroy faith. I was afraid to even think of anything against God (like the thought would be enough to eternally damn me to hell). This, I remind you, was up until this last year.

Last year, around January, I started to recover from my psychosis. I finally had a diagnosis, and my doctors were getting me onto medications that were finally working for me. It was in January that I was finally labeled by my doctor as being 'in recovery'; and it was then that I was cleared to pursue my normal life. I must mention...with medication came mental clarity; and with mental clarity I lost God. My deep spiritual connection that I felt toward God my entire life vanished. I thought "What if there is no God" freely without fear of retribution, and when no retribution came I kept on thinking it; but now I can't shed feelings of guilt for thinking like this, and I want to be free of this guilt.

That gets me to where I am now. I'm a medical student, and a scientist. I believe in evolution, and I believe in science. I base my morals in my philosophy, and I gain my knowledge of our universe from my studies in the various disciplines of science; but, I am struggling to shed my religious tendencies. I now realise that these are just residual emotions left in me from my grandmothers influence combined with, what I am now convinced was, my years of schizophrenia induced religious psychosis. I still struggle to free my mind of the constraints of religion. I want to shed these shackles, but I am having trouble...and that's why I'm here. I hope to learn from you all, and grow. Please, help me shed my religion and embrace the freedom of atheism.

Okies. I'll make other posts dealing with my specific issues as I feel comfortable bringing them up, but this is me in a nutshell and my journey (in brief...sort of) to this page.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

best wishes!
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
RE: Agnostic leaning towards atheism
Wow, quite the story! It's got everything from LDS to LSD, and a bit of DSL Big Grin

Welcome to the forums! And good luck with the shackle shedding, but if you're unsure, there are also some nice Christians around in case you want a second opinion.

P.s. agnostic leaning towards atheist, do you mean agnostic as opposed to atheist, or agnostic *and* leaning towards atheist? Just curious re your definjtion
Thanks for reading Alex K. I know it was long lol Tongue Nice to meet you, and thanks for the welcome. I guess I claim agnostic because I have no proof of gods existence or non-existence. I believe there is no god, but my training in philosophy taught me quickly that that doesn't mean the same thing as knowing there is no god Tongue I guess I don't claim atheism alone because I don't feel comfortable making that claim without conclusive evidence against gods existence...although I'm rather sure he doesn't exist and I live my life as if he didn't (most of the time...I'm working on it lol Tongue)
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Wow, now that was a decent intro! Welcome to AF Twilight Sparkle OGirly! (You don't happen to be a Pegasister? Smile)
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 15, 2014 at 8:23 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Wow, now that was a decent intro! Welcome to AF Twilight Sparkle OGirly! (You don't happen to be a Pegasister? Smile)

Of course I am! Tongue Yourself? If so: best pony, best princess, and favourite episode.

twilight sparkle (although this may answer two questions Tongue), luna, lesson zero Wink

Thanks for the welcome everyone(everypony). I've been reading through some threads on the forums, and I'm glad I chose this forum when looking for one regarding atheism. Seems like a wonderful community. Smile
Welcome, OGirly.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(March 15, 2014 at 8:32 am)OGirly Wrote: Of course I am! Tongue Yourself? If so: best pony, best princess, and favourite episode.

twilight sparkle (although this may answer two questions Tongue), luna, lesson zero Wink

Not quite yet, I haven't even gotten through the first season Wink

Fluttershy (I'm a sucker for cute things!), Luna (she's beautiful and terrifying!) and the episode with the Griffon, because I got to understand Pinkie Pie better Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 15, 2014 at 7:45 am)OGirly Wrote: Thanks for reading Alex K. I know it was long lol Tongue Nice to meet you, and thanks for the welcome. I guess I claim agnostic because I have no proof of gods existence or non-existence. I believe there is no god, but my training in philosophy taught me quickly that that doesn't mean the same thing as knowing there is no god Tongue I guess I don't claim atheism alone because I don't feel comfortable making that claim without conclusive evidence against gods existence...although I'm rather sure he doesn't exist and I live my life as if he didn't (most of the time...I'm working on it lol Tongue)

A good definition of agnosticism in my book.
(March 15, 2014 at 8:59 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Not quite yet, I haven't even gotten through the first season Wink
Oh....just give it some time. See you at bronycon Wink

(March 15, 2014 at 8:59 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Fluttershy (I'm a sucker for cute things!), Luna (she's beautiful and terrifying!) and the episode with the Griffon, because I got to understand Pinkie Pie better Smile

Fluttershy is a close second for me as well. There was a great fluttershy episode last week I believe. I'm sure it's on youtube if your curious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hi, agnostic here :) Erin27 31 3836 April 17, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hi, an agnostic here ... just agnostic. TheHuxleyAgnostic 47 4118 November 12, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Agnostic among Atheists doomed 43 9128 November 8, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Viocjit the agnostic viocjit 29 7291 September 30, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: c172
  Ex Christian, relieved to be an agnostic atheist SerenelyBlue 28 4493 September 7, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  I guess I'm agnostic? gubeym 19 3745 May 27, 2015 at 1:11 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  From theist to agnostic to atheist to agnostic to freethinker and... old man 70 21258 August 26, 2013 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Sword of Christ
  An agnostic atheist who once wanted to be a minister ReadAndConsider 15 3765 May 23, 2013 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Theist? Deist? Agnostic? lacontrabasse 0 1733 December 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: lacontrabasse
  Former agnostic, now Christian lucent 96 49681 September 20, 2011 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Cyberman