Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 8:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, an agnostic here ... just agnostic.
Hi, an agnostic here ... just agnostic.
Hello, 

I was never taught to believe gods exist, or to believe they don't, growing up. As a teenager, I came across the writings of T. H. Huxley, and found the label for what I was, an agnostic. And, yes, that covers beliefs. 

Huxley was a scientist, above all else. He saw the scientific method in picking apples at the market. The agnosticism he defined amounted to a form of demarcation. No objective testable evidence = a subjective unfalsifiable claim. Results: unscientific and inconclusive. No belief as to the truth, or falsehood, of the claim. It is not compatible with athe-ism, the belief gods do not exist, or the-ism, the belief gods do exist.

Quote:"I say, strive earnestly to learn something, not only of the results, but of the methods of science, and then apply those methods to all statements which offer themselves for your belief. If they will not stand that test, they are nought, let them come with what authority they may."

Quote:"Agnosticism is of the essence of science, whether ancient or modern. It simply means that a man shall not say he knows or believes that which he has no scientific grounds for professing to know or believe."

He outright called it "immoral" to form beliefs about objective truth claims, with no supporting objective evidence. 

Quote:"That which Agnostics deny and repudiate, as immoral, is the contrary doctrine, that there are propositions which men ought to believe, without logically satisfactory evidence; and that reprobation ought to attach to the profession of disbelief in such inadequately supported propositions."

Quote:"I trust that I have now made amends for any ambiguity, or want of fulness, in my previous exposition of that which I hold to be the essence of the Agnostic doctrine. Henceforward, I might hope to hear no more of the assertion that we are necessarily Materialists, Idealists, Atheists, Theists, or any other ists, if experience had led me to think that the proved falsity of a statement was any guarantee against its repetition. And those who appreciate the nature of our position will see, at once, that when Ecclesiasticism declares that we ought to believe this, that, and the other, and are very wicked if we don't, it is impossible for us to give any answer but this: We have not the slightest objection to believe anything you like, if you will give us good grounds for belief; but, if you cannot, we must respectfully refuse, even if that refusal should wreck morality and insure our own damnation several times over. We are quite content to leave that to the decision of the future. The course of the past has impressed us with the firm conviction that no good ever comes of falsehood, and we feel warranted in refusing even to experiment in that direction."

I label myself solely on a fairly abstract concept of "god" beings, the same way I'm agnostic about the existence of "alien" beings. Yes, a Superman comic appears to mainly be a work of fiction, and isn't evidence for the existence of "alien" beings. I'd more than happily argue against having "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" dictated as moral law. I wouldn't like to see people threatened with eternity in the Phantom Zone, in an attempt to scare them into believing in Superman or following that moral law. I wouldn't like to see The Adventures of Superman taught in school as fact. I wouldn't like to see Supermanists dictating who we can and can't marry, or have sex with. Etc. 
However, a Superman comic also isn't evidence for the non-existence of "alien" beings. Even pulling out thousands or millions of sci-fi "alien" beings and showing them all to be fiction, will never have addressed whether, or not, "alien" beings actually exist. And, I'm sure not going to bother labelling myself over every different sci-fi "alien", just the single bare bones fairly abstract concept behind all the stories. 
Thanks for having me.
RE: Hi, an agnostic here ... just agnostic.
If you say so. Welcome.

However, I am an atheist and I do not claim that gods do not exist. Use the label you want, I guess, though.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Welcome
Welcome

Agnosticism relates to knowledge; not beliefs. But... Welcome
(November 8, 2016 at 2:19 am)Jesster Wrote: If you say so. Welcome.

However, I am an atheist and I do not claim that gods do not exist. Use the label you want, I guess, though.

Sure. Not a fan of that usage, myself.
In my opinion, "elephant" means "carrot".

Welcome Welcome

Coffee
(November 8, 2016 at 2:24 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Welcome

Agnosticism relates to knowledge; not beliefs. But... Welcome

Thanks. Just quoted the guy who put the word together and defined the ism. That's the way philosophy books describe it, as well. It's mainly just online a-theists, that separate belief and knowledge, for some strange reason. Knowledge is a belief, just one that's true and justified. But... thanks again.

(November 8, 2016 at 2:34 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: In my opinion, "elephant" means "carrot".

Welcome  Welcome

Coffee

That's nice. In my opinion, that's nonsense. But, thanks for the welcome, anyway.

This guy, along with others, pushed that kind of "elephant" = "carrot" nonsense, too...

"In this interpretation an atheist becomes: not someone who positively asserts the non-existence of God; but someone who is simply not a theist. Let us, for future ready reference, introduce the labels ‘positive atheist’ for the former and ‘negative atheist’ for the latter.

The introduction of this new interpretation of the word ‘atheism’ may appear to be a piece of perverse Humpty-Dumptyism, going arbitrarily against established common usage. ‘Whyever’, it could be asked, ‘don’t you make it not the presumption of atheism but the presumption of agnosticism?’" ~ Antony Flew
I don't see why I should agree with Huxley's personal definition. Knock yourself out, though. It's really not just internet atheists who use the more common definition of the word. Are we going to be pulling out dictionaries here?

Also, you are right about one thing. Knowledge is a belief. It is a SUBSET of belief. You can have a belief without having knowledge.
(November 8, 2016 at 2:51 am)Jesster Wrote: I don't see why I should agree with Huxley's personal definition. Knock yourself out, though. It's really not just internet atheists who use the more common definition of the word. Are we going to be pulling out dictionaries here?

Well, it's not just a "personal" definition, it's the original definition. But, whatever you like. I just made my own personal comment. Not a fan of a-theist. That's why I don't use it. 

Pull out some philosophy books. Even the Oxford Handbook of Atheism, admits the narrow definition of "atheism" is the common one, and "agnosticism" is no belief, either way. Pull out surveys, where more non-theists choose "nothing" or "agnostic" than choose "atheist". Even most of the people a-theists claim as a-theists, aren't using their word. Pull out theists, who still count as people who use words.
Fine, fine. I will break the words down for you. We'll go legitimately original here.

a- is a prefix that means "not" or "without"

the "the" in theism derives from Greek "theos", which means god. Theism is used to denote a belief in a god or gods.

gnostic, in ancient Greek, means "having knowledge"

So "atheist" means "without belief in a god or gods" and "agnostic" means "without knowledge"

Huxley is not the originator of any of that. He just used some of that in his own way in a time when other people did not. But sure, go ahead and use that if you want.  Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here...just sayin' Hello. Frank Apisa 15 1763 June 27, 2021 at 6:52 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Just joined – here's my story! GeorgiasTelescope 20 4094 June 25, 2017 at 4:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Smile Hi, agnostic here :) Erin27 31 3822 April 17, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Agnostic among Atheists doomed 43 9110 November 8, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Viocjit the agnostic viocjit 29 7279 September 30, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: c172
  Ex Christian, relieved to be an agnostic atheist SerenelyBlue 28 4372 September 7, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  I guess I'm agnostic? gubeym 19 3709 May 27, 2015 at 1:11 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Just landed here Hotel Bravo 23 2814 July 11, 2014 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Agnostic leaning towards atheism OGirly 18 5215 March 16, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  From theist to agnostic to atheist to agnostic to freethinker and... old man 70 21185 August 26, 2013 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Sword of Christ