Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you born with your personality?
Are you born with your personality?
(1) Personalities are an emergent property of brain chemistry.
(2) You are born with your brain chemistry.
____
.:. (3) You are born with your personality.

(Concession: I have done no research to support this syllogism, I have just always thought it was an interesting question to ponder. Blush )

Thoughts?

Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: Are you born with your personality?
(March 16, 2014 at 10:58 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: (1) Personalities are an emergent property of brain chemistry.
____

(Concession: I have done no research to support this syllogism, I have just always thought it was an interesting question to ponder. Blush )

Thoughts?

well in a sense, yes. When you are born you do things by your own thought but as time changes your "original" personality is shifted. So you are technically born with an original personality but it changes...

EDIT: But then comes unavoidable changes like puberty where guys are always thinking about sex... and they start to make penis jokes... so its like a roller-coaster ride when it comes to personality
xR34P3Rx
it isn't in our nature to think of a God, it is in our nature to seek answers and the concept of God is most influenced in this world.
I think you are born with a "base" personality which is why no matter how old you get or change a person always feels like themself.
But I suppose my thought is more philosophy than science.
I think both, your brain has a unique structure and your personality is a result of events and memories of your life .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(March 16, 2014 at 10:58 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote: (1) Personalities are an emergent property of brain chemistry.
____

Thoughts?

What is defined as "personality"?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'm born with the part of my personality which I am born with, while I acquire those aspects of it which are acquired later through the sum of my experiences, later. I hope I made myself clear.
(March 17, 2014 at 6:10 am)Alex K Wrote: I'm born with the part of my personality which I am born with, while I acquire those aspects of it which are acquired later through the sum of my experiences, later. I hope I made myself clear.

No you didn't

What IS a personality?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 17, 2014 at 6:11 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:
(March 17, 2014 at 6:10 am)Alex K Wrote: I'm born with the part of my personality which I am born with, while I acquire those aspects of it which are acquired later through the sum of my experiences, later. I hope I made myself clear.

No you didn't

What IS a personality?

It sounds like a terrible attempt at simplified categorization of the complicated thing that is a person. Anything you can put in a few sentences is just a superficial approximation of how someone will react to certain stimuli including the emotional response, the amount of trust given to people in different circumstances, the propensity to take initiative or be passive, and interests. That's about it I'd say.
(March 17, 2014 at 6:11 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:

No you didn't

What IS a personality?

Me.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(March 17, 2014 at 7:09 am)max-greece Wrote:
(March 17, 2014 at 6:11 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: No you didn't

What IS a personality?

Me.

But just what is that max?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexism and Borderline Personality Disorder Duty 10 1542 November 23, 2022 at 11:25 am
Last Post: brewer
  On the consciousness of a new born baby Macoleco 8 798 April 7, 2022 at 7:22 am
  Schizoid and Avoidant Personality Disorders GrandizerII 8 1148 February 14, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Short review of borderline personality disorder treatment brewer 0 485 March 13, 2017 at 9:33 pm
  "The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born" Heat 218 17439 December 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Half Sheep half Goat born in Ireland downbeatplumb 11 2151 April 5, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Researchers debunk myth of 'right-brain' and 'left-brain' personality traits CleanShavenJesus 11 5791 August 18, 2013 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Next-Gen Test Tube Baby Born pineapplebunnybounce 4 2389 July 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
Smile World’s First GM Babies Born Big Blue Sky 12 3730 June 28, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Borderline Personality Disorder pop_punks_not_dead 2 1419 February 17, 2013 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: TaraJo