Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Researchers debunk myth of 'right-brain' and 'left-brain' personality traits
Researchers debunk myth of 'right-brain' and 'left-brain' personality traits
Quote:Newly released research findings from University of Utah neuroscientists assert that there is no evidence within brain imaging that indicates some people are right-brained or left-brained.

Chances are, you've heard the label of being a "right-brained" or "left-brained" thinker. Logical, detail-oriented and analytical? That's left-brained behavior. Creative, thoughtful and subjective? Your brain's right side functions stronger —or so long-held assumptions suggest.

But newly released research findings from University of Utah neuroscientists assert that there is no evidence within brain imaging that indicates some people are right-brained or left-brained.

For years in popular culture, the terms left-brained and right-brained have come to refer to personality types, with an assumption that some people use the right side of their brain more, while some use the left side more.

Following a two-year study, University of Utah researchers have debunked that myth through identifying specific networks in the left and right brain that process lateralized functions.

Lateralization of brain function means that there are certain mental processes that are mainly specialized to one of the brain's left or right hemispheres. During the course of the study, researchers analyzed resting brain scans of 1,011 people between the ages of seven and 29. In each person, they studied functional lateralization of the brain measured for thousands of brain regions —finding no relationship that individuals preferentially use their left -brain network or right- brain network more often.

"It's absolutely true that some brain functions occur in one or the other side of the brain. Language tends to be on the left, attention more on the right. But people don't tend to have a stronger left- or right-sided brain network. It seems to be determined more connection by connection, " said Jeff Anderson, M.D., Ph.D., lead author of the study, which is formally titled "An Evaluation of the Left-Brain vs. Right-Brain Hypothesis with Resting State Functional Connectivity Magnetic Resonance Imaging." It is published in the journal PLOS ONE this month.

More: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-08-de...ality.html
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Researchers debunk myth of 'right-brain' and 'left-brain' personality traits
Hmm very interesting, that makes sense however. I never really bought into this myth however I am glad science can put an end to it. Also, your signature.....did he really say that?
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Researchers debunk myth of 'right-brain' and 'left-brain' personality traits
I am quite creative, as a writer, and then very logical, as an atheist. In fact, most creative people tend to be quite intelligent and quite logical.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
So as a lefty, I can no longer claim to be in my right mind?

My wife will never let me hear the end of it...
I often wondered why people ever believed that in the first place. It never quite made sense to me.
(August 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: Also, your signature.....did he really say that?

Yes, he did.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Luckily there is still plenty of evidence for no-brained people.
While it was once believed that there was a god in the sky who caused the sun to chase across from morning to night, it was once also believed that there were right, and left brained people. Science win!
(August 16, 2013 at 4:11 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: While it was once believed that there was a god in the sky who caused the sun to chase across from morning to night, it was once also believed that there were right, and left brained people. Science win!

I call a bullshit righthandists' conspiracy here. Little known fact, about 85-90% of all scientists are righties. Who gains the most from removing right mindedness from the lefties? The very scientists who drew the conclusion, that's who!

Poor southpaws...first it was tying our hands behind our backs for writing instruction...now this. And isn't the Italian word for left the same root word for sinister? WTF did we do to deserve all this ire?
(August 16, 2013 at 3:48 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: I often wondered why people ever believed that in the first place. It never quite made sense to me.

. . . said the left-handed girl. Tongue

(August 17, 2013 at 8:47 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Poor southpaws...first it was tying our hands behind our backs for writing instruction...now this. And isn't the Italian word for left the same root word for sinister? WTF did we do to deserve all this ire?
You were born with a serious defect, probably an indication of corruption by the Devil. What I can't understand is why you haven't been burned at the stake yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexism and Borderline Personality Disorder Duty 10 1542 November 23, 2022 at 11:25 am
Last Post: brewer
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1046 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 995 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 756 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  What less than desirable traits promote survival? Athena 34 4036 June 23, 2019 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The brain Drich 140 17411 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 514 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1798 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense Devout-Humanist 4 1047 October 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Schizoid and Avoidant Personality Disorders GrandizerII 8 1147 February 14, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII