Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To those who were once believers and are now atheists, some advice?
To those who were once believers and are now atheists, some advice?
I don't want to get all *emotional* here, but over the past few years, since I've slowly departed from Christianity, and finally all religion -- I've lost three (what I thought) good friends. They are Christian. The first two were sort of gradual, you know, not returning calls, texts, etc. But, this last one was a very abrupt ending. She never let on really that my 'choice' was going to be a problem for her.

I'd be lying if I said this didn't bother me. When we make choices in life, we may lose people over them. I can sit here and say all day long, 'yea, well, fuck them. They weren't my real friends, I guess.' But, it still hurts. I miss their friendship. And I could also sit here and say, 'yea, Christians are phony, etc...' But, when you lose good friends, you just miss them. Sad

So, I just wanted to ask you all, if you experienced anything similar, with loved ones, significant others, and/or friends, and how did you handle it? Did your friendships/relationships ever recover?
RE: To those who were once believers and are now atheists, some advice?
I lost only one friend and admittedly, it was sad.
But what does the loss of that friend tell you? It tells me that worshiping a god is more important than following the example of that god. Now what does that tell you? It tells me that my friendship was always conditional and thus ... sadly, expendable.

You see the truth is, true friendship would go far beyond a belief structure and the proof of this is that even I, a vocal objector to religion, have many good friends who can serve their silly god and still call me friend.

Now I look back on the friend I lost and realize that his friendship towards me was never anything more than self-serving and upon that reflection, I feel happiness in the fact that I have left the darkness behind.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I lost a good friend when I left Islam. Her and I were, at least I thought, very close. It was really abrupt as well, and I'd have to say the lack of closure made it extremely difficult. I could understand if she had told me or at least talked to me about not wishing to be friends anymore, but simply just ending the friendship out of nowhere is hard to swallow. Sadly I can't say the relationship ever recovered. We tried to meet up for lunch one day a few months back, but it wasn't the same. We both had been very religious, and spent a lot of our time together at the masjid helping with programmes etc. We just couldn't find much in common anymore as Islam really is the fulcrum of her life, and when we were friends it dominated both of our lives.

I can say though that since I left my religion, and have had more time to devote to other interests (organisations at university etc) I've met new friends who have similar interests as me. Learning to accept the reality that people come into our lives and also leave our lives really helps make things like this easier. That friend was there for you when you needed her, and you were there for her. People grow apart. It hurts, but it's natural. Hang in there. You'll meet new friends. They won't replace your old friends, but they will be great in their own right Smile
[Image: 1509277_363796590425193_1433975890_n.jpg]
This must be hard to deal with on a personal level.

Since I was never a very strong theist, I didn't have too many friends that I would have had this problem with. To this day, I have several Christian friends I go surfing with on a weekly basis, and usually a once a year 1-2 week surfing trip to another country. We have no problems.

As Teresa McBain, ex-pastor, now atheist (and member of the Clergy Project), put it (I'm paraphrasing), "the loss almost feels like several friends and family members were in the same plane that crashed. I had to deal with the loss of many people that were close to me at once". Before I heard her say this, I didn't really take your plight too seriously, but after, it really hit home what the loss would feel like.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I haven't lost friends from being an atheist, mostly because not a whole lot of people know it, but I've lost friends for other reason. It does hurt a bit, but that's life. You just need to get through it, and having some people around to talk to helps with it. I guess I don't have any specific advice, aside from just try to realize that this is a part of life.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Quote:I've lost three (what I thought) good friends.

Or...you lost three clowns who only accept people who think like they do.
My wife told me a couple months ago that I needed o get out of the house once in a while and hang out with a friend.

I responded, "I haven't even talked to that guy in 3 years!"
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
I had lost a couple of friends but I got them back later after convincing them that I wasn't a bad bogey man in cahoots with Satan, I just saw many logical issues with the christian story.

I suggest that you address the "lost" friends in a humble way, telling them that you are struggling to understand the truth and you don't want to be mislead by anything that isn't actually true. Tell them that an atheist is simply someone who is not yet convinced of the god stories, nothing else. Then ask them why they believe in spite of A, B, C, etc..

You sometimes can break one away from the delusion. I've had success more than a couple of times.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(March 18, 2014 at 7:47 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: So, I just wanted to ask you all, if you experienced anything similar, with loved ones, significant others, and/or friends, and how did you handle it? Did your friendships/relationships ever recover?

Honestly, no one ever blamed my atheism for a friendship ending. It just happened that the more I embraced being "out" in many contexts, the more I was also digging into skepticism and humanism and 'growing up,' and I began to lose contact with people who didn't think like I did. Min makes this sound like a bad thing, but really...would you want the friend who was all about guns and Jesus to hold on to you? I wouldn't have anything in common with those people.

The friends I 'lost' were the sort who post eagle and flag montages and shout "MURICA!" at every turn and praise god at the slightest blessing and generally act irrationally. At the time, I ranged between sadness because I thought they were great friends, and anger because they were being so frustrating. In the end, I realized the old dusty adage of "one door closes, another opens" was true. I really like the friends who have taken their place. It's not that they think completely like me - it's that they embrace rationalism, which means that the relationship can survive even if we disagree.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I've read through your replies, they have all been really helpful, thank you! I have a saying, 'stay true to you.' And if that means losing 'friends,' so be it. Of course, within reason.

But, I haven't changed. I'm still the same exact person, the same good friend. Maybe someday, they'll come back. I don't know.

I can't help but wondered what glued us all together. Almost at times like the friendships just never happened at all.

(March 18, 2014 at 9:19 pm)Brakeman Wrote: I had lost a couple of friends but I got them back later after convincing them that I wasn't a bad bogey man in cahoots with Satan, I just saw many logical issues with the christian story.

I suggest that you address the "lost" friends in a humble way, telling them that you are struggling to understand the truth and you don't want to be mislead by anything that isn't actually true. Tell them that an atheist is simply someone who is not yet convinced of the god stories, nothing else. Then ask them why they believe in spite of A, B, C, etc..

You sometimes can break one away from the delusion. I've had success more than a couple of times.

This really touched me, I had to do a double take...Brakeman posted this? lol jk! Big Grin This would be the kind thing to do I suppose, and I just may follow this advice.

@ summer queen, the range of emotions you mention, yes! I'm sort of angry about it all. You are right, what u say. And I have gained some fabulous new friendships during this whole thing, so that's true too!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3269 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1914 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Seeking meaningful advice from atheists Ad Astra 85 5599 May 15, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: h311inac311
  Sincere and peaceful believers are tough people purplepurpose 4 1064 September 27, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1740 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1575 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2862 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Deconversion and some doubts Jake 232 13104 August 13, 2019 at 11:28 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4473 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4117 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda