Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deists-why do you believe this way?
Deists-why do you believe this way?
Im almost a Deist..sell me on it..
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.
RE: Deists-why do you believe this way?
They just can't grasp existence of the universe without an intelligent designed behind it.
As a longtime Deist and still being one, the Deistic argument for god is essentially nothing. It can be any argument you want because Deism is only the philosophical position of how you treat the nature of god afterwards.

Deist believe that no scripture, magical being or miracle is relative to god and that all such things are nonexistent as a whole until proven otherwise. God is essentially an impersonal mover for the creation and that is all. God is just a demiurge.
[Image: tumblr_n8f4c0zuQE1twxzjco1_1280.png]
(March 19, 2014 at 7:18 pm)heathendegenerate Wrote: Im almost a Deist..sell me on it..

We don't do that.
If you have a specific (and sincere) question I will do my best to answer it.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(March 19, 2014 at 10:27 pm)Shaykh al-Kabir Shair Abdulrab Wrote: As a longtime Deist and still being one, the Deistic argument for god is essentially nothing. It can be any argument you want because Deism is only the philosophical position of how you treat the nature of god afterwards.

Deist believe that no scripture, magical being or miracle is relative to god and that all such things are nonexistent as a whole until proven otherwise. God is essentially an impersonal mover for the creation and that is all. God is just a demiurge.

You, sir, are one intellligent fellow.

(March 19, 2014 at 10:37 pm)Cinjin Wrote:
(March 19, 2014 at 7:18 pm)heathendegenerate Wrote: Im almost a Deist..sell me on it..

We don't do that.
If you have a specific (and sincere) question I will do my best to answer it.

deism views the afterlife as.. ? Give a better answer. So, it's how you treat the nature of god afterwards? What does that mean?

(I've read wikipedia, I just want a better description.)
I hate the bible. I love that do as thy whilst stuff.
(March 19, 2014 at 11:30 pm)heathendegenerate Wrote: You, sir, are one intellligent fellow.

Best to hold your tongue on that comment till you see my behavior after I rob myself of 2 days of sleep like I do every weekend Tongue
[Image: tumblr_n8f4c0zuQE1twxzjco1_1280.png]
I think it's a spiritual witnessing on my part. I don't believe per a philosophical argument, I rather believe that God can be witnessed and connected to. One of my favorite prayers goes on the lines of this: "God give us the gazing towards you till we breach/pierce the veils of light and our souls get suspended by the glory of your sanctity".

I believe there is living connection to God within creation and that we cannot exist independently of God, our very existence is linked to an eternal source that is basis and archetype of our existence. The living face of God to me is a reality and we all have access to it. It also makes us know God like our very souls is real, and not illusionary.

I believe per on a spiritual basis. Although I do believe in intellectual arguments for God's existence, they are not the reason I believe.
(March 22, 2014 at 3:53 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I think it's a spiritual witnessing on my part. I don't believe per a philosophical argument, I rather believe that God can be witnessed and connected to. One of my favorite prayers goes on the lines of this: "God give us the gazing towards you till we breach/pierce the veils of light and our souls get suspended by the glory of your sanctity".

I believe there is living connection to God within creation and that we cannot exist independently of God, our very existence is linked to an eternal source that is basis and archetype of our existence. The living face of God to me is a reality and we all have access to it. It also makes us know God like our very souls is real, and not illusionary.

I believe per on a spiritual basis. Although I do believe in intellectual arguments for God's existence, they are not the reason I believe.

Give us an intellectual argument then.
(March 22, 2014 at 3:55 pm)tor Wrote:
(March 22, 2014 at 3:53 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I think it's a spiritual witnessing on my part. I don't believe per a philosophical argument, I rather believe that God can be witnessed and connected to. One of my favorite prayers goes on the lines of this: "God give us the gazing towards you till we breach/pierce the veils of light and our souls get suspended by the glory of your sanctity".

Give us an intellectual argument then.

I've had discussion in the past about them. Long discussions. I don't feel like repeating those discussions to be honest.
Give me the link so I can see you have some arguments instead of empty words.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4924 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24017 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3830 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2547 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7905 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10225 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Question for Deists Fred Hampton 26 4711 April 1, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: masterofpuppets
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14470 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2721 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 13263 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee