Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Deists
Question for Deists
Forgive me if this question has already been covered in a thread.  I suppose I could ask it of theists too, but there meanderings are fairly stock on the subject.

*Deist God:  a mono supernatural deity that created everything and then sat back(somewhere) and let it all play out into the future on it's own with zero intervention.

My question to deists:  Where do you believe your God is?  Where is the "somewhere"?  That is, how would you locate "Him/Her" if you had to?  I am very interested to hear the answers.  Thanks!  

Wink
It is a sad thing not to have friends, but it is even sadder not to have enemies...(Ernesto Che' Guevara)
RE: Question for Deists
(March 25, 2017 at 2:42 pm)Fred Hampton Wrote: Forgive me if this question has already been covered in a thread.  I suppose I could ask it of theists too, but there meanderings are fairly stock on the subject.

*Deist God:  a mono supernatural deity that created everything and then sat back(somewhere) and let it all play out into the future on it's own with zero intervention.

My question to deists:  Where do you believe your God is?  Where is the "somewhere"?  That is, how would you locate "Him/Her" if you had to?  I am very interested to hear the answers.  Thanks!  

Wink

God is not physical so has no location in space. Omnipresence means that he is aware of every location in the universe.
(March 27, 2017 at 7:10 am)SteveII Wrote:
(March 25, 2017 at 2:42 pm)Fred Hampton Wrote: Forgive me if this question has already been covered in a thread.  I suppose I could ask it of theists too, but there meanderings are fairly stock on the subject.

Wink

God is not physical so has no location in space. Omnipresence means that he is aware of every location in the universe.

Redefining words again?
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

Omnipresent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, totipotent, and omnisexual . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 27, 2017 at 9:35 am)Harry Nevis Wrote:
(March 27, 2017 at 7:10 am)SteveII Wrote: God is not physical so has no location in space. Omnipresence means that he is aware of every location in the universe.

Redefining words again?

Why do you think my definition is wrong? 

Before you go saying that God is everywhere, that is not going to hold up. The universe is expanding. If God was everywhere, is God expanding? Or perhaps becoming diluted? Additionally, the universe if finite. Does that mean that God is finite. More silly conclusion can be drawn from a too-simplistic view: for example, is a portion of God in my coffee cup and the rest of him outside of it? No, God does not occupy space and is therefore not literally everywhere. I believe he is cognizant of and causally active at every point in space.
(March 27, 2017 at 10:02 am)SteveII Wrote:
(March 27, 2017 at 9:35 am)Harry Nevis Wrote: Redefining words again?

Before you go saying that God is everywhere, that is not going to hold up. The universe is expanding. If God was everywhere, is God expanding? Or perhaps becoming diluted? Additionally, the universe if finite. Does that mean that God is finite. More silly conclusion can be drawn from a too-simplistic view: for example, is a portion of God in my coffee cup and the rest of him outside of it? No, God does not occupy space and is therefore not literally everywhere. I believe he is cognizant of and causally active at every point in space.

You actually have a point here. Deities don't necessarily need to be everywhere all the time, it's just that they should be able to be anywhere at any time if they wish to. Of course I don't believe any such god exists, but for the sake of definitions, this argument is sound.

The problem is where you stated earlier that God is not physical and doesn't occupy any space. That to me is synonymous with non-existence. Existence is physical.
"Faith is the excuse people give when they have no evidence."
  - Matt Dillahunty.
(March 25, 2017 at 2:42 pm)Fred Hampton Wrote: Where do you believe your God is?

No idea.

The bastard escaped from my basement.

Shake Fist
(March 27, 2017 at 10:02 am)SteveII Wrote:
(March 27, 2017 at 9:35 am)Harry Nevis Wrote: Redefining words again?

Dude... "omnipresent" does mean "everywhere".

When you discover that God can't be omnipresent the correct response is that he can't be omnipresent. Not to redefine what the word means.

But I am not surprised because it's exactly like how Christians respond to contradictions in the Bible. Whenever there's a contradiction instead of realizing that the Bible makes no sense they decide to interpret those parts non-literally.

Fucking ridiculous. When logic disagrees with the Bible you throw out logic.
(March 27, 2017 at 12:01 pm)Isis Wrote:
(March 25, 2017 at 2:42 pm)Fred Hampton Wrote: Where do you believe your God is?

No idea.

The bastard escaped from my basement.

Shake Fist

Isn't that the worst? Just when you think you've got a handle on them, they chew through the restraints.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
In response to the OP, my idea of a deistic god is indistinguishable from a god that doesn't exist. And as to the question in the OP, if the deistic god does not interact/influence reality in any way, then I doubt anyone would say they could 'locate' said being.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ? jenny1972 94 13812 November 17, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Deists-why do you believe this way? heathendegenerate 21 3970 March 22, 2014 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why are Deists obsessed with Atheism? EGross 13 4000 March 19, 2013 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Questions for Deists Paul the Human 2 1676 June 24, 2011 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Paul the Human
  sincere question for theists and deists Darth 15 5303 June 24, 2011 at 2:03 am
Last Post: Darth
  Question for deists: Why is there a Creator? Zenith 73 19358 June 21, 2011 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Arcos Plage