Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books to Avoid
Books to Avoid
Vegan Virgin Valentine by Caroline Mackler

Reason: I couldn't make it through the first half hour of the audiobook without the protagonist being critical or judgmental of someone. It's like Miss Mackler took lesson from the Stephenie Meyer School of Writing. I believe in show don't tell, DO NOT tell your audience how they are supposed to feel about a person or situation.
RE: Books to Avoid
The title is enough to put me off
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(March 22, 2014 at 10:23 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: The title is enough to put me off

I should have known too but I told myself don't judge a book by its title
50 Shades of Grey. Don't read it. Just don't. Three books that don't have enough content for one decent book. Shitty writing, flat characters, no plot, no proper BDSM, nothing interesting, no development, nothing memorable, but a huge, stinking and revolting pile of shit.

..just don't touch it. Leave it be.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 22, 2014 at 10:27 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(March 22, 2014 at 10:23 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: The title is enough to put me off

I should have known too but I told myself don't judge a book by its title

Sometimes you can.

[Image: bible.gif]

Avoid this piece of shit like the plague!
(March 22, 2014 at 9:51 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Reason: I couldn't make it through the first half hour of the audiobook without the protagonist being critical or judgmental of someone. It's like Miss Mackler took lesson from the Stephenie Meyer School of Writing. I believe in show don't tell, DO NOT tell your audience how they are supposed to feel about a person or situation.

Honestly, that's the way I felt when I read the first pages of the book version of Silver Linings Playbook. Seriously, the protagonist spoke like he was six or something, and his tirade against "Farewell to Arms" made me almost give up on the book. Granted, I had very similar things to say about "To The Lighthouse," but I at least gave better reasons than 'how dare Papa Hemingway write a story that didn't have a happy ending'. To be fair, it did improve eventually, but the movie version is MUCH better.

That said, I know of a novel much, much worse, and it can be found here. I hereby disclaim any responsibility for any brains broken while reading this.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The eye of Argon...

No, but seriously: The Last Theorem by fucking Arthur C Clarke and some guy named Pohl. It's such a mess. Ok, there's the story of a young guy who discovers his homorotic tendencies and has a run in with his father. That's a relatively pointless, somewhat tedious, but at least readable plotline. The remainder? It must be the most climsily shoehorned in space alien plot line I've ever seen, and that includes my attempts at writing SF when I was 15. There is supposed to be big excitement about space elevators in the protagonist, but there is nothing there, no substance. There is supposed to be this deep connection of the main character with maths, and in particular fermats last theorem, but the maths explanations in between were partly trite, trivial, or even wrong! The only explanatian I have is that ACC was too decrepid to notice that someone stole his lettethead to send in their homoerotic fermat space alien fanfic under his name. Unbefuckinglievable. Gave up when the aliens were mentioned the third time round or so. I was like: WTF??? Life is too short!
Officer Jones by Derek Ciccone. It was a free (or .99 cent) Kindle eBook, and I was like, what the hell, I'll read it. I managed to get through the whole thing, but I hated all the characters in it. The things that the characters did near the end of the book were just...wacky. Not believable at all. It just pissed me off.
[Image: ferns500x125_zps9511e564.jpg]
Avoid Twilight like the plague. The ONLY reason I have "read" the books is because my sister gave me the audiobooks and I had nothing else to do at work while I did CAD work.

To this day, when I see plans of the hospital I was working on when listening to those books, I recall passages from Twilight.

Beware.

It'll haunt you the rest of your days.

(March 22, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: 50 Shades of Grey. Don't read it. Just don't. Three books that don't have enough content for one decent book. Shitty writing, flat characters, no plot, no proper BDSM, nothing interesting, no development, nothing memorable, but a huge, stinking and revolting pile of shit.

..just don't touch it. Leave it be.

Avoid 99% of all fanfiction. 50 Shades falls into that category for me, and I did to 50 Shades what I've done to many a craptastic piece of fanfic: read the first pages, decided it was shitty, and moved on.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I've been avoiding 'The Canterbury Tales' for years. I dozed off in class once, and the instructor threw a copy at me - hit me dead on the bean.

I jumped up and shouted, 'What the HELL was that??'

The instructor smiled at me and said, 'That, sir, was a flying Chaucer.'

Boru

[NB: For our humour-impaired members, the above is a joke. It did not happen. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled kvetching.]

[NB: For our Yiddish-impaired members, 'kvetch' is an intransitive verb meaning to complain often. Thank you.]
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favourite books/author The Valkyrie 50 2652 April 28, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Most Awful Books Ever The Architect Of Fate 18 1409 June 19, 2020 at 3:45 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  One Way To Avoid War.. Brian37 33 1759 March 9, 2020 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  atheism books recommendations WolfsChild 8 972 May 24, 2019 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Books Icy 55 4335 November 27, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  20 books considered the worst Foxaèr 29 4494 July 21, 2018 at 3:05 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Let's Talk About Books Shell B 65 7564 January 22, 2018 at 1:12 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 756 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  David Bowie's 100 Favourite books: How many have you read? Rev. Rye 27 2551 October 22, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Dan Brown Books. Cecelia 51 4735 September 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Alex K