Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The dumbest fucking arguments you've ever heard.
The dumbest fucking arguments you've ever heard.
OK, this is just a fun little challenge for people here.

Name three of the Dumbest Fucking Arguments You've Ever Heard, or DFAYEH, in support of theism against atheism.

PERSONAL arguments, mind you, not between "professional" debaters. I'm interested in seeing the extent of stupidity that exists amongst the religious. Mostly because I could seriously use a good, hearty belly-laugh.
RE: The dumbest fucking arguments you've ever heard.
Bumper sticker religion

[Image: god_said_it_i_believe_it_bumper_bumper_s...quare=true]
Pascal's wager from my parents, "science is the Devil's lie" from a fundie on the streets of my town, and last but not least on the stupid scale; "God loves you, just forget all that stuff you learned and come back to church" from an old friend of mine.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
Not that different from the ones we read on this forum, which are some of the ones I used when I was a believer.

- How can you look at nature and not see god?
- The fine-tuning argument.
- The emptiness of life without purpose.

And many similar ones, that are effective because they are so facile. They appeal to emotion and appear logical if taken at face value. You pile enough of them upon one another and it seems as if there is an insurmountable wave of evidence for god, without having to produce any actual evidence for god.

Which is probably why they're so popular now.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Straight from the LDS playbook:

1. "I know The Book of Mormon is true"
2. "I know The Book of Mormon is true"
3. "I know The Book of Mormon is true"

Repeat until The Adversary gives up.
Not necessarily against Atheism per se but some of the anti-evolution arguments are incredibly dumb. Like this oft repeated Jewel:

"If we come from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?"

This can only be said by someone who has purposely kept themselves totally ignorant or is too stupid to understand even the most basics of evolution.

I've heard this one a few times.

"If you believe in love you have to believe in God"

Uh? Except that I believe in love and don't believe in God. I can hardly think of a more meaningless statement and simultaneously insulting statement.

"Jesus tomb was empty, therefore he resurrected from the dead."

This has become a popular argument by some apologists. Even if we accepted that Jesus' tomb was found empty (and that itself requires way more evidence than presented) there would be a million more likely explanations. All of it could be a totally made up story to start with anyway.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Does it count as the dumbest argument I have ever heard that inevitably the real reason why anybody seems to think it MIGHT be true that God exists is because they feel a need (in my opinion, the degree to which they feel this need is irrelevant for the stupidity of the argument) for the emotional comfort that possibility gives them?

Because goddamn, that is not a RATIONAL position, and if in any way on any level know that the reasons for you believe in is a thing that is not all rational or logically sound, why then would you maintain that you believe it to be true, much less even possibly continue fully believing it is true? Is it even possible to fully believe a thing is true while knowing it is not rational or logically sound, or are people just lying to themselves and everyone else? I honestly don't know. I think this is the thing I fundamentally just cannot understand about religious belief, having never believed in anything religious myself. And I think the very fact that I cannot comprehend this thing is why I have never had any religious belief whatsoever.

And let me just add, that this thing seems to me to be so monumentally STUPID, it may just be the thing that is fundamentally stupid about the existence of religious belief.
"If you don't believe in something, you'll fall for anything." - the implication apparently being that skepticism causes gullibility.
Light travels instantly in one direction.....I kid you not.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Priest dont molest boys!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 686 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15513 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 7932 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 23341 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 18948 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 78051 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 11934 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Best Theistic Arguments ShirkahnW 251 50902 July 8, 2018 at 12:13 am
  Have you Heathens heard the Good News? The Valkyrie 71 11410 January 26, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6490 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia