Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The nearness to God factor. How do Atheists feel about moving higher or lower?
Hi

When I think of people that are really good people, I have sense they are nearer to God then others. I also feel we can move closer to God. I feel there is stages and that these stages are real, that we really move closer or further from God by how our hearts of souls move through out lives influenced by how we act and react.

Taking away God, what do Atheists feel they gravitate towards? Goodness has no metaphysical existence to draw closer to from an Atheistic perspective, so while we may become more good, we are not moving closer to anything really or am I missing something?

Do you still feel there is stages of higher and lower if we take God out of the picture?
What?

Are you saying without your particular baby-murdering rape-endorsing deity people cannot distinguish good from evil, and cannot work toward maximizing good?

If we reverse the argument, how has religion made you a better person?

Do you find you care more about other people than you did without religion?

Do you actively do more to help other people, or do you believe care and prayer are sufficient?
RE: The nearness to God factor. How do Atheists feel about moving higher or lower?
The idea that any god is good is debatable, as with everything else, and good and evil are pretty subjective things. Doing good doesn't necessarily bring us closer to whichever god you're talking about, so much as obeying them. Of course that deity surely thinks that whatever it wants is good by default, but that's not a given.

I suppose if we're moving closer to anything in a metaphorical sense, we'd be moving close to each other, or an ideal society, by attempting to do good. Enlightenment could be a word for it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: The nearness to God factor. How do Atheists feel about moving higher or lower?
(April 20, 2014 at 6:19 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Hi

When I think of people that are really good people, I have sense they are nearer to God then others. I also feel we can move closer to God. I feel there is stages and that these stages are real, that we really move closer or further from God by how our hearts of souls move through out lives influenced by how we act and react.

Taking away God, what do Atheists feel they gravitate towards? Goodness has no metaphysical existence to draw closer to from an Atheistic perspective, so while we may become more good, we are not moving closer to anything really or am I missing something?

Do you still feel there is stages of higher and lower if we take God out of the picture?

I don't think these questions are meaningful. Other than goodness for its own sake, why should atheists gravitate toward anything at all?

In fact, with God out of the picture, I should think people would find it much simpler to achieve levels of 'goodness' more sympatico with a general greater good. As Jim Jeffries puts it, 'Try not to be a cunt.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Taking away God, what do Atheists feel they gravitate towards?

Sanity.
(April 20, 2014 at 6:19 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Hi

like being under water and asking are you wet? or wetter?

of whos closer ... you or me. Its a silly notion.
we are all same "closness'
What am I talking about is stages. Do you believe being more good will gravitate you towards a higher reality? I don't think this is possible from an Atheistic point of view. Therefore this notion of one being higher or lower seems to non-sense from an Atheistic stand point. So it can be said higher and lower is a proof of the Highest One to whom is a reality by which the other stages get their reality.

I might be missing something here. This is why I'm asking.
No.

More to the point, there is no evidence of any "higher reality."
(April 20, 2014 at 7:21 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: What am I talking about is stages. Do you believe being more good will gravitate you towards a higher reality? I don't think this is possible from an Atheistic point of view. Therefore this notion of one being higher or lower seems to non-sense from an Atheistic stand point. So it can be said higher and lower is a proof of the Highest One to whom is a reality by which the other stages get their reality.

I might be missing something here. This is why I'm asking.

self awareness is the key. Religion can help that threw a set of rituals.

Not everybody needs it tho. And god, if there is one, only wants you to be your best you, you can be.

Cool Shades
Religious people don't do anything good to be closer to god, they do it for themselves.
Just like Atheists. It's evolution.
Don't throw rocks at others because it may harm your chances of survival.
God doesn't need to be in the equation.
On top of that, if there is any such thing as free will, there's not much room to move between your personality, environment and history.
Personally, I think most people are as good as they can be.
I think you should reexamine your idea of being closer to god. It's really, who does god love the most, isn't it?
Sibling rivalry, daddy loves me more than you because I'm better behaved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do atheists feel about name days? Der/die AtheistIn 25 2868 November 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5034 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14376 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3583 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do UK atheists feel about the Monarchy? drfuzzy 55 5889 November 14, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I feel a bit relieved. Little Rik 238 24243 July 5, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I hate Church and still feel obligated to go dragonman73 20 4431 May 2, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does anyone else feel like this? dyresand 21 3965 December 11, 2015 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Joods
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5441 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris