Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UConn Professor Defends Rant
UConn Professor Defends Rant
This was in the local news yesterday, a bunch of religious nuts went to Uconn campus and started yelling "Evolution is a lie" That is when the anthropology professor confronted them ,and had his students yell" praise Darwin" He is in trouble now but I don't think he should be, these nuts came to his house. He should have punched some noses IMO
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local...38801.html

manowar
RE: UConn Professor Defends Rant
This was covered in the Friendly Atheist blog. It sounds like the professor just wasn't very tactful in dealing with them, so he made himself look bad. I can't watch the video from this computer, so I'll have to wait until later to check it, but it sounds like the guy just needs a different approach.
That's MISTER Godless Vegetarian Tree Hugging Hippie Liberal to you.
It was a stupid response, and tasteless. He made himself look terrible, and built up that strawman atheist that deifies Darwin.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
From the article -

Quote:Earlier this year, UConn Assistant Football Coach Ernest Jones resigned after the dean publicly criticized him for saying,Jesus Christ should be in the center of our huddles”

“UConn came down on him like the wrath of God,” Wolfgang said.

Now some people are questioning why UConn isn’t holding Professor Boster to the same standard.

“Everyone has the right to exercise free speech on our campuses. At the same time, we expect our faculty to act in a way that promotes civil discourse and to express themselves respectfully. The use of abusive language and the confrontational posture seen here are inconsistent with UConn’s values,” a statement the university says.

“Yes, I’m in deep trouble. … The Dean has summoned me into his office,” Boster said.

I looked up Ernest Jones

Quote:Jones, the coach for player engagement and running backs, came under fire after a story in The Courant in January when he said "we're going to make sure [players] understand that Jesus Christ should be in the center of our huddle, that that's something that is important."

Herbst (UConn President) responded to the Jones comment in January by saying in a letter to the editor in The Courant that "at public universities we value everyone in our community, and treat each person with the same degree of respect, regardless of who they are, what their background is, or what their beliefs may be. Every student, including student-athletes, must know they are accepted and welcomed at UConn. Always. Our staff should educate and guide students, to ensure they are well-prepared for life at UConn and beyond. But it should go without saying that our employees cannot appear to endorse or advocate for a particular religion or spiritual philosophy as part of their work at the university, or in their interactions with our students. This applies to work-related activity anywhere on or off campus, including on the football field. Our athletic director and Coach Diaco agree wholeheartedly with me, and have made this clear to their staff."

The way I see it, Professor Boster isn't being picked on if he's told off for the his behaviour. Being confrontational, using bad language and leading students to shout "Praise Darwin" is as much against the university's values as promoting a particular religion.
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need to rant to other atheists mlmooney89 22 3555 June 30, 2016 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  God is Dead Rant ManMadeGod 5 1814 December 14, 2015 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: ManMadeGod
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12774 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Rant Mode. Some Religious People Are Really Good. Mudhammam 10 2333 March 17, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Rant against anti-atheist agnostics. Whateverist 338 57921 February 21, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: comet
  Chriatian Phoenix's Deadlt Rant jackson 65 8489 January 27, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Exian
  Need to rant: stupid Christians Phazzle 13 3009 October 28, 2014 at 2:23 am
Last Post: ForumMember77
  Atheist Professor rationalizes incest CriticalBen 34 10552 June 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: little_monkey
  Just a little rant: Chris.Roth 23 8141 May 9, 2012 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Chris.Roth
  So... I had a request from a professor Voltair 12 2700 November 9, 2011 at 5:54 am
Last Post: leo-rcc