Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 4:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist's Purpose in Life.
Atheist's Purpose in Life.
So I recently "accidentally" came out as an Atheist to my family (don't ask how its hard to explain lol). But anyways, I was talking to someone who found out and they said something like "but since you're an atheist, doesn't that mean you have no purpose in life?."

I think that's something that most people who haven't researched the matter themselves think, is that non-believers don't really have a purpose in life anymore. Because we don't have a "Heaven" to look forward to or a Utopia of sorts, they think we're just waiting here on Earth to die. This is not the case.

Honestly, as an atheist, I think my own purpose in life is to make the world around me a better place to the best of my ability. I mean, I don't know about you guys, but that's what it is to me.

What about you guys, what's your "purpose" in life?
RE: Atheist's Purpose in Life.
(May 11, 2014 at 10:26 pm)abtaylor Wrote: So I recently "accidentally" came out as an Atheist to my family (don't ask how its hard to explain lol). But anyways, I was talking to someone who found out and they said something like "but since you're an atheist, doesn't that mean you have no purpose in life?."

I think that's something that most people who haven't researched the matter themselves think, is that non-believers don't really have a purpose in life anymore. Because we don't have a "Heaven" to look forward to or a Utopia of sorts, they think we're just waiting here on Earth to die. This is not the case.

Honestly, as an atheist, I think my own purpose in life is to make the world around me a better place to the best of my ability. I mean, I don't know about you guys, but that's what it is to me.

What about you guys, what's your "purpose" in life?

Biologically: to make little humans (something I've managed to overcome).
Personally: To help others and hopefully make the world a little better before I get off the ride.
Dying to live, living to die.
Do they really think that kissing god's ass for eternity is a useful "purpose?"
(May 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Do they really think that kissing god's ass for eternity is a useful "purpose?"

I guess so! xD
(May 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Do they really think that kissing god's ass for eternity is a useful "purpose?"

What's your purpose Minimalist?
(May 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm)Lek Wrote:

Obviously a better one than yours.
(May 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm)abtaylor Wrote:
(May 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm)Lek Wrote: What's your purpose Minimalist?

Obviously a better one than yours.

Obviously, you don't have one.
(May 11, 2014 at 11:28 pm)Lek Wrote:
(May 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm)abtaylor Wrote: Obviously a better one than yours.

Obviously, you don't have one.

Obviously, yours is make believe.
(May 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm)Lek Wrote:

I love it, you're asking that like he's not going to be able to provide one, like he's going to break down and tearfully admit that without Jesus there can be no purpose.

Your religion has made you think like a child, Lek. Armor-piercing questions only work if they've been thought out at all, and not just played through the christian puppet theater in your mind. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 11, 2014 at 11:42 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(May 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm)Lek Wrote: What's your purpose Minimalist?

I love it, you're asking that like he's not going to be able to provide one, like he's going to break down and tearfully admit that without Jesus there can be no purpose.

Your religion has made you think like a child, Lek. Armor-piercing questions only work if they've been thought out at all, and not just played through the christian puppet theater in your mind. Rolleyes
I don't know why you think that. All I did was ask him what his purpose in life is and he didn't say, so I said he didn't have one. That's pretty mild considering what I have thrown at me in this forum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4120 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3115 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3752 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] The Purpose of Pain zwanzig 60 4840 February 9, 2021 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Nogba
  Purpose? Is there any? Seek3r 10 1264 July 23, 2020 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Fireball
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1420 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2109 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Purpose? No idea what it is. Cod 54 7356 November 15, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Dr H
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3130 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Atheism and purpose in life. Mystic 34 20684 April 23, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet