Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay rights don't compare to civil rights
Gay rights don't compare to civil rights
Quote:On March 21, Judge Bernard Friedman of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan overturned and ruled unconstitutional the 2004 voter-approved amendment to the Michigan Constitution that defines marriage as between one man and one woman.

Judge Friedman concluded that upholding the voting rights of 2.7 million voters who voted in favor of marriage protection is not "rational."

One hundred Detroit black pastors maintain that this decision was made under the false guise that the majority of the people of Michigan are discriminating against the civil rights of lesbians and homosexuals due to their sexual orientation or preference.

"To state that marriage redefinition is in any way similar to the civil rights movement is intellectually empty, dishonest and manufactured," says minister Stacy Swimp, founder of Revive Alive Missional Ministry. "When has anyone from the LGBT demographic ever been publicly lynched, specifically excluded from moving into neighborhoods, prohibited from sitting on a jury and denied the right to sue others because of their sexual preferences?"

Pastor James Crowder, of St. Galilee Baptist Church and president of the Westside Minister's Alliance, also weighed in on the narrative of sexual orientation being a civil right.

"Judge Friedman is sanctioning the staging of a false story," Crowder says. "On stage are many actors who pretend that redefining traditional marriage is as valid as blacks fighting against the carnage of chattel slavery and the humiliation of Jim Crow. Never have I been so insulted. The curtain must be pulled down on this play of disinformation."

http://www.charismanews.com/us/43838-gay...an-pastors
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Gay rights don't compare to civil rights
This idiot pastor should learn more about his intellectual allies:

[Image: gay-hate-sign-thumb-300x336-12963.jpg]
Like Chris Rock is fond of stating, If you are black and Christian, you must have a short memory.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Wasn't that long ago Anita Bryant was publicly advocating for concentration camps for gays.

Remember those "Kill a Queer for Jesus" t-shirts ????
*sigh*
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
As a black man, this one bothers me a lot. The idea that just because gays aren't being sprayed with fire hoses and hung from trees, it isn't a civil rights issue? Ridiculous. Come on! Dodgy

Blacks should be more sympathetic to this cause. The very same chapters in the Bible that were used to keep them in slavery are the ones that condemn homosexuality. And interracial marriage! SAME ONES! Doh

Civil rights issues are about scope. There are gay people being physically threatened, bullied, and harassed every day. Marriage is a right that is taken away from gays for no rational reason. 'We don't like it,' is not a valid reason to deny someone rights. Same sex marriage doesn't affect hetero-marriage in the slightest. Allowing gays to marry does not decrease the number of heterosexual people, or their desire or ability to marry each other. It does not decrease the number of children born to loving families. In fact, it creates more loving families in which children can be cared for.

Every argument that I have heard against gay marriage boils down to, 'eww.'
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 15, 2014 at 12:08 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Every argument that I have heard against gay marriage boils down to, 'eww.'

Actually, there are a few, some I've taken down in this thread. That said, the non-"eww" arguments are even less solid.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Hetero marriages destroyed by gay marriage: (these are the real victims of gay marriage)

Rush Limbaugh (at least twice)

Bill O'Reilly (last one at least)

feel free to add to list

(couldn't find sarcasm alert smiley, sorry)
(May 15, 2014 at 1:23 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Hetero marriages destroyed by gay marriage: (these are the real victims of gay marriage)

Rush Limbaugh (at least twice)

Bill O'Reilly (last one at least)

feel free to add to list

(couldn't find sarcasm alert smiley, sorry)

Sometimes I start to think maybe there is a little hope for humanity. Then I remember Bill O'reilly.

(May 15, 2014 at 12:08 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: As a black man, this one bothers me a lot. The idea that just because gays aren't being sprayed with fire hoses and hung from trees, it isn't a civil rights issue? Ridiculous. Come on! Dodgy

Blacks should be more sympathetic to this cause. The very same chapters in the Bible that were used to keep them in slavery are the ones that condemn homosexuality. And interracial marriage! SAME ONES! Doh

Civil rights issues are about scope. There are gay people being physically threatened, bullied, and harassed every day. Marriage is a right that is taken away from gays for no rational reason. 'We don't like it,' is not a valid reason to deny someone rights. Same sex marriage doesn't affect hetero-marriage in the slightest. Allowing gays to marry does not decrease the number of heterosexual people, or their desire or ability to marry each other. It does not decrease the number of children born to loving families. In fact, it creates more loving families in which children can be cared for.

Every argument that I have heard against gay marriage boils down to, 'eww.'

The only reason I think gays may get a little better treatment then what blacks did in the early 20th century is because you can always tell a person's sexuality by looking at them like you can with race. Either way it is the same evil and ignorance that drives both.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(May 15, 2014 at 1:25 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: The only reason I think gays may get a little better treatment then what blacks did in the early 20th century is because you can always tell a person's sexuality by looking at them like you can with race. Either way it is the same evil and ignorance that drives both.

I think it has more to do with the societal effects of the civil rights movement. Overt displays of discrimination, regardless of the basis, simply aren't generally tolerated in public anymore.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gog Magog civil war with the west WinterHold 37 2042 July 20, 2023 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Women's Rights Lek 314 18354 April 25, 2023 at 5:22 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  New Zealand - you gotta be this old to have rights. onlinebiker 123 5335 December 13, 2021 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  J.K. Rowling had to return civil rights award Foxaèr 68 4943 October 16, 2020 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Rank Stranger
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2122 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ghanem Almasarir, Saudi Human Rights Activist attacked in London WinterHold 3 606 October 12, 2018 at 4:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Fuck Your Property Rights, You Scumbag Bastard Minimalist 0 481 October 1, 2018 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, Round 2 Angrboda 330 17116 August 23, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Did civil war begin in Saudi Arabia? WinterHold 6 668 April 22, 2018 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hypothetical For Gun Rights Advocates BrianSoddingBoru4 79 7871 April 2, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Lek