Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious people on the reasonable faith forum are so fucking stupid...
Religious people on the reasonable faith forum are so fucking stupid...
I was looking through the forum when I seen this pile of bumbling stupidity:

Quote:I am pretty sure that "don't believe" and "lack of belief" is the same thing. However, as a theist, I usually want to know their position better. I for example can say that I 'lack the belief that no god exists' and that is true because I do not have that belief. I have the belief that God does exist.
So usually I ask the non-believer's (I know secularists hate that word since it destroys your attempts to redefine atheism) position. Usually they will evade or say they are completely neutral (while at the same time saying that belief in God is stupid). After 30 comments, they will admit that they believe that God does not exist. I just don't see any reason to evade like that. The only reason I can think of is that their position is so WEAK that they have to redefine the meaning of atheism in order to fight against theism.

Here is the link to the post in the thread

This is the biggest pile of horse shit I've read in a long time, and this isn't the only one, there's countless threads with morons like this guy with a blatant misunderstanding of the burden of proof. I guess that's what happens when they follow a disingenuous debater who constantly tries to shift the burden of proof. I really hope these people don't get employed as judges, because they'll charge innocent people with being guilty, because they couldn't prove they are NOT guilty. In court systems, EVERYONE is innocent until PROVEN GUILTY. The burden of proof is that way for a reason, otherwise innocent people would be charged with offenses they never committed, because the judge has no understanding of the burden of proof. Not to mention they don't understand what atheism is. Atheism isn't necessary the belief in the non existence of something, there is strong atheism and weak atheism, most atheists are weak atheists. Also with a-theism, a means 'without', like a-political (without political affiliation). So the typical definition of atheism is a lack of belief. Agnosticism on the other hand, is a less certain lack of belief, but its still under the definition of atheism.

Person A claims C.
Person B claims NOT C.

Person B is not subject to the burden of proof, because person A is making the claim that something does exist, he must substantiate that claim before person B can accept C is true. Person B does not have to prove NOT C to justify his position. Person A can't say "I lack a belief in claim NOT C", because the default position is NOT C, as we do with everything else. We don't believe in alien abductions because of this same principle, their claims have not be substantiated. The person claiming alien abduction can't say "I lack belief in non alien abduction". This is completely nonsensical.

And even IF they were justified in saying that somehow (they are not), the consequences of that is actually cutting off the branch they are sitting on. Since the person making a claim is as justified as someone making a not claim or negative claim (like this isn't true, or I don't believe this), then that means the theist would have to provide evidence against an infinite variety of different things to justify their infinite non beliefs. There are infinite variety of non beliefs because there are an infinite amount of things you can make up, for example: The purple cosmic hand sanitizer. Where is your evidence this thing doesn't exist? Oh, you don't have evidence this doesn't exist? Then how is a-cosmichandsanitizerism more justified than cosmichandsanitizerism? And where is your evidence that the god of Islam does not exist? On this view, since making a non existence claim is as justified as an existence claim, we can belief really whatever we like then. This sort of idiocy really is baffling.
RE: Religious people on the reasonable faith forum are so fucking stupid...
Quote:Religious people on the reasonable faith forum are so fucking stupid...

Fixed that for you.
Reasonable faith is a veritable contradiction in terms. Therefore, it does not surprise me that unreasonable people would post ill logic under the false guise of truth, love, and knowledge.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 17, 2014 at 12:23 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Religious people on the reasonable faith forum are so fucking stupid...

Fixed that for you.

Funny... But in reality that is a bit of a huge generalization. There are some very intelligent religious people out there, but for the most part a good 75% of them are incredibly stupid, but then again most of the human race is stupid so that's not saying much.

(May 17, 2014 at 12:34 am)Kitanetos Wrote: Reasonable faith is a veritable contradiction in terms. Therefore, it does not surprise me that unreasonable people would post ill logic under the false guise of truth, love, and knowledge.

Talking about definitions: Faith is "strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof" which is in direct contradiction with reason. Even if we take the more popular definition that people on the site, including WLC says "complete trust or confidence in someone or something". If you have complete trust in something, or an emotional wedge in something, it is by the very nature of 'complete trust' at odds with reason. You can't have 'complete trust' in some idea, and be reasonable at the same time. Because your bias and 'complete trust' will leak through into your metaphysics, like with the presuppositions of the kalam argument is based on. WLC is engaging with presuppositionalism in disguise.
IF God was real like they claim then this argument of who has the burden of proof would never happen. It be like arguing about whither not my mother has a cat, if she does have a then all I do is show you a picture. If I was trying to hide the fact that she does own a cat for whatever reason, when in fact she doesn't, then I may say something "Well you cant prove she doesn't have a cat!"
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
I reframe the question to these nuts without the word "believe" which sounds like an action to them.
Instead use the word "convinced." Christians are convinced of the bible stories, atheists are unconvinced.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(May 17, 2014 at 1:32 am)Brakeman Wrote: I reframe the question to these nuts without the word "believe" which sounds like an action to them.
Instead use the word "convinced." Christians are convinced of the bible stories, atheists are unconvinced.

Where is your evidence that being unconvinced of the bible is true? I am merely lacking the convincedness of being unconvinced of the bible!
[Image: Dr-House-on-religion.jpg]
Atheism is a lack of belief in all deities, yes.

But that doesn't mean we can't then form judgements on god claims as they're presented. I don't know why the person who posted that believes we can't?

I have rejected every version of the bible god ever presented to me for the same reason; lack of evidence. I pretty much don't believe in any of them (and there's a lot) for this reason. Sure, evidence could be provided, but I don't hold my breath given the thousands of years we've been waiting.

Also, no idea why the poster beings up secularism as something to do with atheism.

People need to learn their political philosophy before equating two things that have nothing to do with one another.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I actually think that defining atheism as a "lack of belief" is silly. In terms of content, "lacking belief" is really just disbelief. However, when atheists phrase it that way, it gives a clear impression that atheists are actively trying to avoid any possible burden of proof. After all, why go out of one's way to define a position such that one does not have supposedly have to defend holding it? Worse, "lack of belief" can only really reasonably apply to those who haven't heard of god concepts before, or have been newly introduced to them. However, once one has been introduced to said concepts one either has good reasons for their resulting position or they do not. At that point, claiming you don't have the burden of proof is a complete non sequitur.

(May 17, 2014 at 3:06 am)Zidneya Wrote: [Image: Dr-House-on-religion.jpg]

I used to throw this around too, but it is really silly when you think about it. If it were the case, then pretty much no atheist alive who once held to theism is not reasonable, or they did not reach their atheism by reason. And it also raises the question as to why atheists who use that quote EVER try to debate theists. After all, they're supposed to be immune to being reasoned out of their religious beliefs, right?
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1072 74693 April 17, 2024 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11434 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3813 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 650 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1233 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 928 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 10801 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Stupid christans look to ban Good Omens GUBU 64 6269 July 11, 2019 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12193 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7017 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda