Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I'm sitting here at my parents' house...
So I'm sitting here at my parents' house...
I am taking over the mortgage on my parents house here in TN. They are moving back to FL in July, and I'm going to move into their house when they leave.

I had to come over before work this morning to take care of some paperwork and other stuff, and I am eating breakfast before taking off for work. They are watching church on TV, which is apparently a new thing. Dr. Charles Stanley is the guy's name. I am eating my Cream of Wheat and listening to this man preach some of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. It's been over 15 years since I've set foot in a church. It was a bit of a shock.

The whole point of this sermon is that wavering faith is the reason Jesus doesn't do stuff for you. That a person whose faith is 'continuously waivering' is not doing Christianity right. Somehow, natural skepticism and reasoning is being vilified. I know in my head this is the kind of thing people believe. But, for the life of me, I cannot understand why as soon as this buffoon says "Reasoning oftentimes doesn't work with God, he is above all that," there isn't a mass exodus out of the super-mega-church complex. BAH!!! Panic

Dodgy
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: So I'm sitting here at my parents' house...
No surprise here, preachers discourage skepticism all the time. Doubt is the beginning of the path to enlightenment, and pastors will say anything to stop "Gods people" from embarking on that path.
I've tried unsuccesfully with Time Warner and Direct TV to get a discount by not having access to 15 or so Jesus channels.

Some of that shit is unintended comedy gold though. The sincerity with which they say the damndest things in order to separate people from their money must take significant effort.
Always remember the wisdom of H. L. Mencken.

Quote:What is the function that a clergyman performs in the world? Answer: he gets his living by assuring idiots that he can save them from an imaginary hell.
And of course the great Robert Ingersoll:

Quote:The clergy know that I know that they know that they do not know.

Quote:Every pulpit is a pillory, in which stands a hired culprit, defending the justice of his own imprisonment.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
LOL they call him a "Dr." What's his Ph.D in? Bullshit? Suckering the dumbfounded?
"Divinity" a/k/a "all of the above."
[Image: museums_03.jpg]
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
*gag*@ Cream of Wheat.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: LOL they call him a "Dr." What's his Ph.D in? Bullshit? Suckering the dumbfounded?

No, I think he went from a doctor of body to a doctor of soul, like Zakir Naik. Lol. He's probably a medical doctor.

Doublechecked, he has a PhD in theology.
[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flying house of Loreto Fake Messiah 2 664 April 6, 2021 at 7:14 am
Last Post: brewer
  Are there any YECs in the house here? Jehanne 71 9239 June 28, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5629 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 22779 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 26360 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
Sad My parents have gone off the deep end Tea Earl Grey Hot 25 6049 March 8, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Flood destroys Tony Perkins' house drfuzzy 14 2067 August 18, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: brewer
  Parents Charged in Beating Death of Son at Church JesusHChrist 56 9273 October 22, 2015 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Pentecostal Parents Mister Agenda 30 9099 October 15, 2015 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Atheist house rules? TubbyTubby 25 5569 July 2, 2015 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Joods