Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish you could believe in a Deity?
Do you wish you could believe in a Deity?
Sometimes I wish I could believe in a god of something. There is a character in my favorite book series (The Dresden Files) who is a Knight of the Cross. He carries a sword that has a nail from the crusifiction worked into the steel. He and his two brethren are the fist of God on earth.

The way he takes comfort, and the way he is so sure and certain of his place in the world because of his faith is beautiful and inspiring.

Unfortunately for me, faith in a magic old guy who lives in the clouds that grants wishes is a no-go. Not to mention paying lip service to hypocritical, small minded, jack asses in the church is also a big fat non-starter.

Do you ever wish you could have faith in something? Humanity, even though it is pretty screwed up sometimes, still gives me real hope. But sometimes I feel a little empty.

Thoughts?
RE: Do you wish you could believe in a Deity?
No. I'll go wherever the evidence and reason leads.
Nope, not interested in any invisible best friend or sky monster
I wish Odin was real. He's one cool dude.

Unlike this jesus asshole.
(June 9, 2014 at 11:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I wish Odin was real. He's one cool dude.

You know, I don't see many ice giants around here. Thinking
Nope, I have no wish that a deity was real - especially the Abrahamic one.
Dying to live, living to die.
(June 9, 2014 at 11:48 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(June 9, 2014 at 11:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I wish Odin was real. He's one cool dude.

You know, I don't see many ice giants around here. Thinking

Right.

[Image: jesus-and-odin-jesus-odin-religion-1335129236.jpg]
I think, if we're talking about things I wish were real, I'd have a long list before we got to a deity. Real life Pokemon first, for sure. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 9, 2014 at 11:22 pm)emergencyScott Wrote: Sometimes I wish I could believe in a god of something. There is a character in my favorite book series (The Dresden Files) who is a Knight of the Cross. He carries a sword that has a nail from the crusifiction worked into the steel. He and his two brethren are the fist of God on earth.

The way he takes comfort, and the way he is so sure and certain of his place in the world because of his faith is beautiful and inspiring.

Unfortunately for me, faith in a magic old guy who lives in the clouds that grants wishes is a no-go. Not to mention paying lip service to hypocritical, small minded, jack asses in the church is also a big fat non-starter.

Do you ever wish you could have faith in something? Humanity, even though it is pretty screwed up sometimes, still gives me real hope. But sometimes I feel a little empty.

Thoughts?

You sound like a person searching for the love he was always meant to have. God is the way. He is the light and spiritually, he is the only thing you will ever need. Don't use the church's many failures as an excuse to give up an eternity side by side with a Creator who loves you.

Yes, we have been known to be hypocritical and small minded, but many of us want only to save you from a place meant only for the devil and his vile demons.

You can be that knight. You can fight a spiritual fight for Jesus Christ. Maybe you could be the one to bring these wayward souls on this site to Him.

Stop trying to shoe horn God into your life and simply accept Him for the amazing deity He is!

Talk to me. I will try to answer as many questions as i can.
(June 10, 2014 at 12:22 am)Eye of God Wrote:

Too bad he doesn't exist. LOL
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5246 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 452175 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2390 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8152 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13537 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4079 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  So In Deity-Free World: Financial Inclusion! mascale 6 841 August 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 42987 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Could this exciting 2019 comedy show about God, concern artificial intelligence? blue grey brain 8 1298 February 22, 2019 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4624 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3