Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question to Theists
Question to Theists
Would it be better to help poor people? or to pray non-stop without any reason?
RE: Question to Theists
(June 17, 2014 at 1:14 pm)reality Wrote: Would it be better to help poor people? or to pray non-stop without any reason?

Kind of a loaded question, don't you think?
(June 17, 2014 at 1:14 pm)reality Wrote: Would it be better to help poor people? or to pray non-stop without any reason?
(bold added by me)

I'm no theist, but I think it would be best to meditate on how, when, and where to best help poor people - and then do it.
Why would a theist pray for no reason? I guess you're making an assumption for us.

I'm a believer in practical support and so is my church. What motivates us is our faith, and prayer is part of that.
Question to Theists
Dunno, why do you?
All depends on what you mean by 'help', reality.

I once gave a ragged homeless man all the money I had on me, because I felt really and truly sorry for him and his current circumstance.

The exhibition group at University I was with had just proceeded to stuff their fat faces full of rich food, steak pies, cakes, scones, pastry, you name it. It was a bitterly cold winter's day outside. Everyone walked past him for the train home. No one gave a shit about the man. It was starting to come to rain, making it even colder.

I gave so much, but I wouldn't have had to, because if everyone gave just a little I know he'd have been alright. I hoped he'd have somewhere warm to stay the night at least.

About a week later, I see him again, and he's drunk himself absolutely silly. Another week later and he's gone. I can't assume it ended well for him. Sad

You can 'help' people, lend a hand, get some assistance, but what good is any of it when they can't help themselves? When they want to destroy themselves through drink and drug abuse? Sad
(June 17, 2014 at 4:32 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: All depends on what you mean by 'help', reality.

I once gave a ragged homeless man all the money I had on me, because I felt really and truly sorry for him and his current circumstance.

The exhibition group at University I was with had just proceeded to stuff their fat faces full of rich food, steak pies, cakes, scones, pastry, you name it. It was a bitterly cold winter's day outside. Everyone walked past him for the train home. No one gave a shit about the man. It was starting to come to rain, making it even colder.

I gave so much, but I wouldn't have had to, because if everyone gave just a little I know he'd have been alright. I hoped he'd have somewhere warm to stay the night at least.

About a week later, I see him again, and he's drunk himself absolutely silly. Another week later and he's gone. I can't assume it ended well for him. Sad

You can 'help' people, lend a hand, get some assistance, but what good is any of it when they can't help themselves? When they want to destroy themselves through drink and drug abuse? Sad
I'm poor too. My love is "Cigarette" "Peace"
(June 17, 2014 at 4:37 pm)reality Wrote: I'm poor too. My love is "Cigarette" "Peace"

...what?
Most theists (myself included) don't consider prayer pointless. We pray for guidance, we pray for help, we pray just to talk to God. It's pointless in the eyes of somebody that doesn't believe in God, but not for somebody that does.

Also, helping the poor is a central practice in many, if not all, religions. So the question is presenting a false dichotomy. For theists it isn't "help poor people" OR "pray", it is "help poor people" AND "pray."
Fuxxake, reality. Why don't you simply ask theists, 'Have you stopped beating your wife?' Sheesh.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6679 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question to theists purplepurpose 172 26588 June 21, 2018 at 4:18 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 20995 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay
  Question for Theists: The Proble with Thanking God Rhondazvous 43 9034 October 25, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4887 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Quick question to theists dyresand 26 4895 April 6, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4931 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  About other gods-question for theists vodkafan 130 22231 July 10, 2014 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Serious Question For Theists Severan 349 57214 June 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8171 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s