Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tea Party candidate taken behind the woodshed by an old man asking a simple question
Tea Party candidate taken behind the woodshed by an old man asking a simple question
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/06/19...iel-rally/

Quote:JACKSON, Miss. –A quiet morning campaign event erupted into a shouting match Thursday morning when a Democratic voter crashed a coffee klatch by State Sen. Chris McDaniel and got into an angry confrontation the conservative who is challenging six term Sen. Thad Cochran.

“How, with no seniority and a promise simply not to get along with anyone, will you accomplish any of the things you want to accomplish?” shouted John Davis, a 77-year-old retired teacher who was shopping at Kroger’s grocery when he noticed Mr. McDaniel about to begin a meet and greet session with about a dozen local retirees.

“What have they accomplished lately by putting us in debt?” shot back Mr. McDaniel, who outpolled Mr. Cochran in the June 3 primary but is facing in a June 24 run off because he did not break 50%.

Mr. Davis, with finger-wagging emphasis, retorted, “What have they accomplished? They have accomplished airports. They have accomplished roads. They have accomplished schools.’’

It looked like it would get really ugly when Mr. McDaniel snapped, “Get your finger out of my face.”

Mr. McDaniel responded to his support for federal spending by saying, “you do so by adding trillions on my children’s back, trillions of dollars we can’t recover from. Our country borrows 46 cents on every dollar.” Mr. Davis interrupted and said, “I don’t want this rote answer. I want to know how you will accomplish it.”

Mr. McDaniel backed away and sat down, and Mr. Davis was surrounded and eventually sent away by the octogenarians who had gathered to hear from the candidate.

The mainstream media is supposed to have a liberal bias, but when have you ever heard any MSM talking head ask a Tea Party lunatic a question as simple as "how will you accomplish cutting government spending without allowing everything we rely on to fall apart?" If there was a bias, they'd ask it all the time, because it would put on display the complete lack of value inherent in this ideology.

Now ask yourself how many corporate-owned MSM talking heads keep going on about Benghazi even though it's an obviously artificial 'scandal', and you'll know where the bias really lies.

Rock on, old dude.
RE: Tea Party candidate taken behind the woodshed by an old man asking a simple question
(June 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/06/19...iel-rally/

Quote:JACKSON, Miss. –A quiet morning campaign event erupted into a shouting match Thursday morning when a Democratic voter crashed a coffee klatch by State Sen. Chris McDaniel and got into an angry confrontation the conservative who is challenging six term Sen. Thad Cochran.

“How, with no seniority and a promise simply not to get along with anyone, will you accomplish any of the things you want to accomplish?” shouted John Davis, a 77-year-old retired teacher who was shopping at Kroger’s grocery when he noticed Mr. McDaniel about to begin a meet and greet session with about a dozen local retirees.

“What have they accomplished lately by putting us in debt?” shot back Mr. McDaniel, who outpolled Mr. Cochran in the June 3 primary but is facing in a June 24 run off because he did not break 50%.

Mr. Davis, with finger-wagging emphasis, retorted, “What have they accomplished? They have accomplished airports. They have accomplished roads. They have accomplished schools.’’

It looked like it would get really ugly when Mr. McDaniel snapped, “Get your finger out of my face.”

Mr. McDaniel responded to his support for federal spending by saying, “you do so by adding trillions on my children’s back, trillions of dollars we can’t recover from. Our country borrows 46 cents on every dollar.” Mr. Davis interrupted and said, “I don’t want this rote answer. I want to know how you will accomplish it.”

Mr. McDaniel backed away and sat down, and Mr. Davis was surrounded and eventually sent away by the octogenarians who had gathered to hear from the candidate.

The mainstream media is supposed to have a liberal bias, but when have you ever heard any MSM talking head ask a Tea Party lunatic a question as simple as "how will you accomplish cutting government spending without allowing everything we rely on to fall apart?" If there was a bias, they'd ask it all the time, because it would put on display the complete lack of value inherent in this ideology.

Now ask yourself how many corporate-owned MSM talking heads keep going on about Benghazi even though it's an obviously artificial 'scandal', and you'll know where the bias really lies.

Rock on, old dude.

Well from the exchange it seems McDaniel wants to curb government spending. He can help accomplish that goal by voting against government spending. He doesn't need to get along with anyone. He doesn't need to compromise. He just needs to vote "no" to appropriation bills.
RE: Tea Party candidate taken behind the woodshed by an old man asking a simple question
Quote:Mr. McDaniel responded to his support for federal spending by saying, “you do so by adding trillions on my children’s back, trillions of dollars we can’t recover from. Our country borrows 46 cents on every dollar.” Mr. Davis interrupted and said, “I don’t want this rote answer. I want to know how you will accomplish it.”

Perhaps those octogenarians were curious as to how much of that reduction in federal spending would come at the expense of their medical care, and wanted Mr. Davis to leave so that Mr. McDaniel could in fact explain how he'd cut those federal dollars. And perhaps more importantly, where.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 20, 2014 at 9:28 am)Tonus Wrote: Perhaps those octogenarians were curious as to how much of that reduction in federal spending would come at the expense of their medical care, and wanted Mr. Davis to leave so that Mr. McDaniel could in fact explain how he'd cut those federal dollars. And perhaps more importantly, where.

If McDaniel couldn't answer that question while Davis was there, why would you think he's going to answer it after he leaves?
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Plus, fun fact: Republicans tried cutting spending in a lot of areas in the eighties. They called this "Starving the Beast." This failed because, to compensate, they started borrowing money from China, something that would, a quarter century later, help lead to the recession they keep crowing about.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(June 20, 2014 at 8:21 am)Heywood Wrote: Well from the exchange it seems McDaniel wants to curb government spending. He can help accomplish that goal by voting against government spending. He doesn't need to get along with anyone. He doesn't need to compromise. He just needs to vote "no" to appropriation bills.

And, like McDaniel, you just give the rote answer without explaining how we can gut the government while still keeping all those services like roads and schools and airports that are vital to the function of a first-world country.

Oh, I bet I know the answer: privatize! Turn the country into a deregulated hellhole where firefighters will be happy to put out your house fire for a reasonable down payment, assuming you pass the credit check.
(June 20, 2014 at 9:45 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: Plus, fun fact: Republicans tried cutting spending in a lot of areas in the eighties. They called this "Starving the Beast." This failed because, to compensate, they started borrowing money from China, something that would, a quarter century later, help lead to the recession they keep crowing about.

You've conflated cutting taxes with cutting spending. They are not the same thing. "Starving the beast" was about cutting taxes so the government would be forced to spend less. The republicans were successful in cutting taxes but the strategy did not work as spending continued to increase. They didn't try very hard at cutting spending as you seem to be suggesting.

Tea Party wants to curb government spending and McDaniel can help accomplish that by simply voting no on new appropriation bills. He doesn't have to compromise or get along with anyone. Mr. Davis question was stupid as the answer is obvious.
(June 20, 2014 at 8:21 am)Heywood Wrote: Well from the exchange it seems McDaniel wants to curb government spending. He can help accomplish that goal by voting against government spending. He doesn't need to get along with anyone. He doesn't need to compromise. He just needs to vote "no" to appropriation bills.

Simply voting no to appropriation bills is not an acceptable answer. Some level of government spending is necessary to the continued existence of this country. If the answer is continued excessive funding of the military at the expense of the late life healthcare the retires he was talking to then hopefully the retirees tarred and feathered his ass.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(June 20, 2014 at 10:02 am)popeyespappy Wrote:

Simply voting no to appropriation bills is not an acceptable answer. Some level of government spending is necessary to the continued existence of this country. If the answer is continued excessive funding of the military at the expense of the late life healthcare the retires he was talking to then hopefully the retirees tarred and feathered his ass.

Its not acceptable to you...so don't vote for the guy. Others might find it acceptable. In the upcoming presidential election I would vote for the guy(or gal) who promises not to do anything except curb current government spending and torpedo new government spending. No bailouts, No stimulus, no new entitlements. I want cuts...cuts...cuts. If the candidate talks about "reaching across the aisle to get the people's work done"....that will make me a little skiddish.
(June 20, 2014 at 10:49 am)Heywood Wrote: No bailouts, No stimulus, no new entitlements. I want cuts...cuts...cuts.

How do you feel about:

* Cutting defense spending at least by half?
* Ending all corporate welfare, including oil subsidies?
* Ending indirect subsidies for religion by taxing churches?
* Ending the war on drugs?
* Raising taxes on the top 1% to the pre-Reagan levels?
* Ending indirect subsidies for corporate labor costs by taxing any corporation whose full-time employees must rely on food stamps to survive so the government can recoup the cost of said food stamps plus administrative costs? (Alternatively, raise the minimum wage so that all full time employees will rise above the eligibility line)?

Once all these cuts are implemented, then we can talk about education and food stamps.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudan: The real cause behind the war WinterHold 4 471 June 14, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 1450 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Republican Party Purge Foxaèr 11 714 April 15, 2021 at 11:27 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 265 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1434 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 1823 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Who's your favorite Dem candidate? EgoDeath 57 5238 October 22, 2019 at 2:50 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2300 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Essex (UK) village used in 'appalling' Trump candidate advert Duty 21 1651 November 1, 2018 at 6:12 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  He's finally behind bars.... Joods 0 303 September 20, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Joods