Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
I love religion!
I love religion!
Ok, slightly silly thread title, but it'll do.

I joined this site a while ago, but haven't joined in yet as I've not found much in this section that isn't four pages or so long that I can be bothered to go through in detail; so I thought I'd start one here and see where that takes me.

I'm an atheist who is fascinated by religion, and I am also very keen to empathise with religious views, and regard them with much value. Someone like Dawkins attacks faith at a literalist base value, and it come across, to me, that he has no imagination and doesn't actually know what he's talking about regarding the complexities of religious belief.

To understand many people's religious ideas it is vital to at least see things from their perspective, in order to understand the idea; almost like 'extreme philosophy' whereby you have to get your head totally around something that makes no sense to you.

All religion has an intrinsic value; by this I don't mean the herd mentallity of simple dogmatic religion, but that religion itself is a necessary part of our nature. Simply put it cannot be separated from our species, when regarded from any perspective, be that anthropological, historical, social, psychological, archaeological, etc.

So, as the title says, I love religion, and think that many (maybe most) atheists don't know what they are talking about when criticising the ideas.
RE: I love religion!
Hey! I hope this is a nice introduction for you.

(January 9, 2010 at 8:38 pm)Zagreus Wrote: Simply put it cannot be separated from our species, when regarded from any perspective, be that anthropological, historical, social, psychological, archaeological, etc.

In what sense are you religious?
(January 9, 2010 at 8:38 pm)Zagreus Wrote: So, as the title says, I love religion, and think that many (maybe most) atheists don't know what they are talking about when criticising the ideas.

I can't agree with you here. If you had taken the time to read the threads that you referred to, you would see that the people here are VERY well versed on the subject of religion and gods.They have taken the time to educate themselves to the point of intimidation. LOL Seeing how well versed they are on said subjects sometimes leaves nothing else to be said because you would only be bemoaning the point, and less eloquently so.

So no, I don't agree that most atheists don't know what they are talking about when they criticize these ideas. I think that the people here are brilliant and you may just learn something by being "bothered" to read old threads.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Zag, I even wrote a book on the origins of the Bible and religion. Don't dis me here in front of my homeys.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
Hello Zag,

While I applaud your decision on taking a more "fair" approach towards your stance on religion, I believe most of us, if not all here, have seen way too much violence involving religion to be bothered to give it's possible "good" a second thought.

I'm not saying the non-religious have never contributed to violence, but religion further divides a race already divided by so many other factors that its doing much more damage then good, in my opinion.

Re
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(January 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm)LEDO Wrote: Zag, I even wrote a book on the origins of the Bible and religion. Don't dis me here in front of my homeys.

Ooh, what's it called? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Well, Religion makes me laugh.....

If nothing else.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(January 10, 2010 at 3:57 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Well, Religion makes me laugh.....

If nothing else.

Yes... nonesense can have that effect Smile The rest of the time it just confuses me Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 9, 2010 at 9:06 pm)LukeMC Wrote: Hey! I hope this is a nice introduction for you.

In what sense are you religious?

Thanks. I did actually introduce myself a few months ago, but have been sporadically lurking rather than contributing so far. This thread was kind of to stop me doing that!

I’m not religious at all, I just find religious history and theology interesting. I used to be a religious studies teacher, and just like chatting to people about the subject.

(January 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm)Rhage Wrote: I can't agree with you here. If you had taken the time to read the threads that you referred to, you would see that the people here are VERY well versed on the subject of religion and gods.They have taken the time to educate themselves to the point of intimidation. LOL Seeing how well versed they are on said subjects sometimes leaves nothing else to be said because you would only be bemoaning the point, and less eloquently so.

I wasn’t referring to the people on this forum necessarily when I said some don’t know what they are talking about; I’ve just seen religion and god discussions on other forums go down very similar lines and the comments are quite like those that kids I used to teach used. I wouldn’t be here if I thought no one knew what they were talking about. I’m here to discuss and hopefully learn. I also join in on a religion forum, where there are at least two very knowledgeable atheists and an extremely well read agnostic. Atheists often have a tone about them that they are right, and religious people are just being silly (Dawkins is extremely guilty of this, which is why I’m not that keen on his ideas), and I’ve noticed that tone on forums. I was getting at the fact that I think that attitude is wrong.

As I said above, I have been lurking, and have actually read quite a few threads. I was being a bit flippant with the ‘can’t be bothered to trawl through ten pages’ comment. I just didn’t want to repeat old ground by saying something on page 11 that I’d missed on page 2.

(January 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm)Rhage Wrote: So no, I don't agree that most atheists don't know what they are talking about when they criticize these ideas. I think that the people here are brilliant and you may just learn something by being "bothered" to read old threads.

It’s not necessarily that they don’t understand, but they go for lowest denominator. “If God exists, why does He allow suffering?” God isn’t simply a philosophical concept, and isn’t disproved by these methods. I stand on the side that there is no evidence for God, so I don’t believe, but the argument can work the other way; there isn’t any definite proof God doesn’t exist either.

Whilst it is possible for the universe to have come about by chance, thus removing the necessity for a creator, that still leaves the option for deity who got things going. I’m playing devil’s advocate there, but I hope you get the gist of what I’m meaning.

Most of the atheist objections I see are attacking the idea of the Abrahamic judgmental God, this deity being a beardy man up in the sky, but do people really think that’s what mystics are talking about? I don’t agree with literalist interpretations of religious ideas, but I can also see the ideas are more complex than mere philosophical word play. Logically, bumble bees shouldn’t be able to fly, but they do. In the same way, logically, by criticising the ontological or cosmological theory God shouldn’t exist, but that does not necessarily mean a deity doesn’t exist.

Again, I wasn’t criticising people here, and I’m sure I will learn some new stuff.

(January 10, 2010 at 2:56 am)Saerules Wrote:
(January 9, 2010 at 10:58 pm)LEDO Wrote: Zag, I even wrote a book on the origins of the Bible and religion. Don't dis me here in front of my homeys.

Ooh, what's it called? Smile

I wanted to ask this too. I’d be interested to read it (I might even already have a copy!)
But Zagreus,

Most fundementalists Christians DO believe in an adult version

of Father Christmas living up in the sky.

They even take the Creation myth seriously.

If you want proof go to answersingenesis.com(which I am ashamed to say was

started by an Australian) where they perform the most amazing mental gymnastics

in order to "prove" Creation true.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love of God vs love of a woman Mystic 51 5615 September 26, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22260 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10736 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4909 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19829 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49334 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  why does religion choose love nekographic 14 4181 February 4, 2013 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: catfish
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5189 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused