Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 6:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damned Buddhists
Damned Buddhists
Can't discriminate, can I?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28055603

Quote:A former Buddhist monk has been jailed for five-and-a-half years for raping a teenage girl at a temple in the Thai capital, Bangkok.
RE: Damned Buddhists
I don't know enough about how Buddhism works in terms of hierarchy. Would a Buddhist monk have any more access to children or more authority over them than other Thais? Because that's what incites me when I hear about preachers, priests, or teachers (secular or otherwise) raping kids. Those are people in a position of trust. And when the organizations behind them hide them and cover for them that's worse.

If not, it's rape which is ugly. But I don't really care what his religion is. Get him because he's a rapist, not because he's Buddhist.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Someone was pissed off about it enough to throw him out of the club.
(June 29, 2014 at 3:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Can't discriminate, can I?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28055603

Quote:A former Buddhist monk has been jailed for five-and-a-half years for raping a teenage girl at a temple in the Thai capital, Bangkok.

I can't really say if I'd blame Buddhism for this, things like this happen everywhere, from schools to sports teams
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

BlackSwordsman ain't gonna be happy with this thread.
[Image: scared-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
(June 29, 2014 at 7:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Someone was pissed off about it enough to throw him out of the club.

I saw that and good for them. Still don't have any notion about what being in the club entails in terms of access and authority over kids.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Thinking I'm not sure... Have you posted an atheist child rape stat yet?

(bold added by me)

Former huh? What is he now... an atheist?
And at age 65, is he developing senility (is this rape even a symptom?), or has he been doing similar crap for most of his adult life?

Buddhism is pretty far out of my range of experience too; do they have a tradition of personal revelation, for instance, or are the tenets either updated as the centuries pass, or does mainline Buddhism follow the cafeteria christians practice of just ignoring inconvenient teachings ??

(and yes, they made me read Siddhartha in college, and all those brain cells affected by that were killed off before I made it to 12 steppers)
(June 29, 2014 at 9:18 pm)ShaMan Wrote:
Thinking I'm not sure... Have you posted an atheist child rape stat yet?

(bold added by me)

Former huh? What is he now... an atheist?

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Buddhists atheists anyway? As far as I know, and I never studied religions deeply (the ones I studied mostly were Islam and Christianity), Buddhists believe in reincarnation but not in a particular god, isn't it?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm)blackout94 Wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Buddhists atheists anyway? As far as I know, and I never studied religions deeply (the ones I studied mostly were Islam and Christianity), Buddhists believe in reincarnation but not in a particular god, isn't it?
I'm just standing on Min's balls because he can take it. I'm no expert on Buddhism, but neither am I a fan of one-way attacks based solely upon one's affiliations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damned Pervert Priests - and other assorted Holy Scumbags Minimalist 498 56453 March 16, 2024 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Damned Catholics Minimalist 1994 295543 March 16, 2024 at 8:19 am
  Damned Muslims Minimalist 747 123550 March 12, 2024 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Damned Christians Foxaèr 830 113141 March 5, 2024 at 1:21 am
  Damned Hindus Minimalist 83 21964 January 22, 2024 at 7:47 am
  Damned Mormons Minimalist 216 43958 September 18, 2023 at 9:53 am
Last Post: zwanzig
  Damned Scientologists Fake Messiah 24 3840 January 29, 2023 at 8:40 am