Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the universe care?
Does the universe care?
Something I thought about a while ago:

- If we are comprised of the same atoms and energy from the stars, we are technically part of the universe
- If all matter in the know universe came from the point of singularity, then all matter and energy in the universe is part of the known universe
- If we too are comprised of that same atoms and energy, we are part of the known universe
- Is it then safe to say that we can arrive at the conclusion that in a funny way we are the universe capable of understanding itself?

Sometimes I hear people say, "the universe doesn't care about whether or not we exist." but if we technically are the only part of the known universe that is capable of viewing and understanding itself, then couldn't we technically say that the universe does care whether or not we exist as we are the only conscious and intelligent part of the universe (that we are aware of) capable of understanding that? Perhaps the only part to ever be (that we are aware of)?

Odd random pondering I was having the other night while out having a cigar and checking out the stars. I've considered it before, but it pops up from time to time. One of those, "Dude, you ARE the universe." moments.

FSM Grin
RE: Does the universe care?
No. Your reasoning suffers from the fallacy of composition.
(June 29, 2014 at 6:41 pm)Cato Wrote: No. Your reasoning suffers from the fallacy of composition.

Please elaborate, the reason I posted this is to sort of ponder on the thought and get some other opinions and ideas and open a line of discussion. Thank you for the response.
Hmmm, sounds like existential narcissism to me.
Sum ergo sum
(June 29, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Ben Davis Wrote: Hmmm, sounds like existential narcissism to me.

Could be, I had not considered it as such. Please feel free to elaborate. I enjoy these discussions. Hence why I wanted to post it in the philosophy area.
Sounds like you're channelling Carl Sagan:

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return. And we can. Because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 29, 2014 at 6:47 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Sounds like you're channelling Carl Sagan:

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return. And we can. Because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

I enjoy his writing and such, so yes, some of it branched from pondering on such thoughts. However, as the above poster said, could be seen as existential narcissism. However, I hadn't considered that. But again, am open to discussion on it and any flaws in my line of thinking.
"Care" is a Human concept, so I'd have to say that the universe does not "care", at least not in the way we would project our inclinations onto it. On the other hand... Perhaps it is our notion of "care" which IS the universe expressing itself as such (care), through the medium of humanity Thinking
(June 29, 2014 at 6:50 pm)ShaMan Wrote: Perhaps it is our notion of "care" which IS the universe expressing itself as such (care), through the medium of humanity Thinking

Right, kind of what I'm hinting at. We're the only known part of the universe that is capable of doing such. But since we're all part of the universe, and the only part of it capable of doing so, aren't we technically in charge of whether or not we value or care about the existence of ourselves at all?

I dunno, perhaps this is winding back to the existential narcissism. Though I think all parts of the universe are as equally awesome, so I don't consider myself necessarily "special" in my place in the universe since it seems like it's all one big thing.

But I suppose I'm trying to say, "Why do people care about whether or not there is an intrinsic value, if we get to decide our own value and place in the universe?" Well... you know, minus all the stuff we can't control like asteroids hitting us, or supernovae within range causing detrimental harm to anything close to it, or the sun eventually swelling up as it burns up the excessive amounts of energy it uses and makes the earth uninhabitable. But HEY, for now anyway...
Yes, we are made of atoms, like the universe, and yes we can think.
Don't read anymore into it.
There is no universal master plan.
We only exist because of the random combination of atoms scattered which become our planet.

That's how it starts, we start to explain the universe around us, and before you know it, you're a deluded "christian".
Hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1281 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I Don't Care Yonadav 418 19915 April 30, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11338 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body fdesilva 172 18532 August 23, 2016 at 7:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2055 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Do you think the universe is real? Excited Penguin 40 5636 December 15, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Sappho
  A Conscious Universe FallentoReason 327 42982 February 14, 2015 at 12:56 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Living Universe, Buddhism, Etc. Etc. hppavilion 5 1804 June 4, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: naimless
  The Meaning of the Universe - Maybe Beta Ray Bill 19 6403 June 4, 2014 at 5:20 am
Last Post: pocaracas
Lightbulb In the universe there is no meaning nor is it meaningless FractalEternalWheel 5 2745 January 18, 2014 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Faith No More