Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The You Can't Make This Shit Up Department
The You Can't Make This Shit Up Department
Without further comment.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/08/wa...ee-poster/

Quote:Retail giant Walmart has apologized for selling a home decoration poster of one of the Nazi’s most notorious concentration camps.

The poster on Walmart’s website featured the front gate of Dachau Concentration Camp, showing the inscription “Arbeit Macht Frei” — or “Work will make you free.” Tens of thousands of prisoners died in the forced labor camp.

I do have to wonder about someone's taste in homer decor, though.
RE: The You Can't Make This Shit Up Department
(July 8, 2014 at 6:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Without further comment.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/08/wa...ee-poster/

Quote:Retail giant Walmart has apologized for selling a home decoration poster of one of the Nazi’s most notorious concentration camps.

The poster on Walmart’s website featured the front gate of Dachau Concentration Camp, showing the inscription “Arbeit Macht Frei” — or “Work will make you free.” Tens of thousands of prisoners died in the forced labor camp.

I do have to wonder about someone's taste in homer decor, though.

Still wanting to know why is this even legal, I know this sounds authoritarian but dangerous ideologies and political orientations based on racism, xenophobia, segregation, discrimination and unfounded elitism should be made illegal to propagate and constituting parties should be illegal too.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

We don't punish people for idiocy - even if we probably ought to. That's assuming you're Walmart - we punish regular joes for idiocy all day long.

Look...a certain subset of our population is really happy that we beat nazi ass... but would have been even happier had we been called to beat someone else's ass. The only sour part of our victory in europe - is that it was over people whose ideology so closely matched our own.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 8, 2014 at 7:54 pm)Rhythm Wrote: We don't punish people for idiocy - even if we probably ought to.

Are you being serious? This is not idiocy, these ideologies are dangerous and can be propagated easily to volatile fragile influential minds. Why do you think former fascist countries made fascism and nazism illegal and invested so much on 300 articles constitutions with all rights described specifically? To prevent further disasters. Well some opinions are pure stupidity but there's a line between that and posing a danger. The proof of that is the rise of far right in europe, the so called nationalist parties that disguise themselves in cultural identities and nation values to hide their fascist heritage based on hate, racism and xenophobe, just check Marine Le Penn's comment comparing Muslims in france with Hitler's holocaust (it was funny but still highly racist) or her father making the anti-immigration comments advocating the death of all them trough the ebola virus
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

-hands off-
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 8, 2014 at 8:00 pm)Rhythm Wrote: -hands off-

I feel guilty for actually agreeing with these parties in some things, they make good critics even by the wrong reasons, and a big justification for their growing is that they are all euro skeptical and people are tired of the EU, me included.

(July 8, 2014 at 7:58 pm)Blackout Wrote: Are you being serious? This is not idiocy, these ideologies are dangerous and can be propagated easily to volatile fragile influential minds. Why do you think former fascist countries made fascism and nazism illegal and invested so much on 300 articles constitutions with all rights described specifically? To prevent further disasters. Well some opinions are pure stupidity but there's a line between that and posing a danger. The proof of that is the rise of far right in europe, the so called nationalist parties that disguise themselves in cultural identities and nation values to hide their fascist heritage based on hate, racism and xenophobe, just check Marine Le Penn's comment comparing Muslims in france with Hitler's holocaust (it was funny but still highly racist) or her father making the anti-immigration comments advocating the death of all them trough the ebola virus

I know this tends to be very hard for foreigners, especially those not in North America, to grasp, but the free speech portion of the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment is enforced strictly here:

Quote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In particular, the courts interpret this to prohibit regulation of speech content.

There are exceptions for speech causing immediate danger (like yelling fire in a crowded theater, or asking people to commit crimes). There are also obscenity exceptions. But that's about it.

Personally, I strongly agree with this. Private people react by criticizing particularly ugly speech. Hence, Walmart's apology. Would that the separation of church and state were as strictly enforced.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
-and yet

When we point out that walmart and companies like walmart are ruining our country we don't get apologies. That's reserved for the moments when they find nazi fetish kitsch on their shelves.

Jerkoff

(July 8, 2014 at 8:45 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(July 8, 2014 at 7:58 pm)Blackout Wrote: Are you being serious? This is not idiocy, these ideologies are dangerous and can be propagated easily to volatile fragile influential minds. Why do you think former fascist countries made fascism and nazism illegal and invested so much on 300 articles constitutions with all rights described specifically? To prevent further disasters. Well some opinions are pure stupidity but there's a line between that and posing a danger. The proof of that is the rise of far right in europe, the so called nationalist parties that disguise themselves in cultural identities and nation values to hide their fascist heritage based on hate, racism and xenophobe, just check Marine Le Penn's comment comparing Muslims in france with Hitler's holocaust (it was funny but still highly racist) or her father making the anti-immigration comments advocating the death of all them trough the ebola virus

I know this tends to be very hard for foreigners, especially those not in North America, to grasp, but the free speech portion of the First Amendment is enforced strictly here:

Quote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In particular, the courts interpret this to prohibit regulation of speech content.

There are exceptions for speech causing immediate danger (like yelling fire in a crowded theater, or asking people to commit crimes). There are also obscenity exceptions. But that's about it.

Personally, I strongly agree with this. Private people react by criticizing particularly ugly speech. Hence, Walmart's apology.

But some ideologies are a cause of danger as you said it. I guess it is hard for americans to understand some restrictions of freedom too, but this is how I see things. Sometimes too much freedom can be bad for you. And by making a reasonable interpretation of that article and conjugating it with other articles regarding let's say democracy and other important traits like freedom we could conclude some restrictions are allowed to preserve the common good. Nazism threats freedom and democracy (because duh it's fascism) and is based on racism, if racism is a crime you shouldn't be allowed to propagate ideologies based on race superiority or any other ideology based on explicit unfounded discrimination, this is how it works. I guess america doesn't have the need to such regulations because they never had fascism (real fascism not oligarchies) in their country.

(July 8, 2014 at 8:48 pm)Blackout Wrote: [But some ideologies are a cause of danger as you said it. I guess it is hard for americans to understand some restrictions of freedom too, but this is how I see things. Sometimes too much freedom can be bad for you. And by making a reasonable interpretation of that article and conjugating it with other articles regarding let's say democracy and other important traits like freedom we could conclude some restrictions are allowed to preserve the common good. Nazism threats freedom and democracy (because duh it's fascism) and is based on racism, if racism is a crime you shouldn't be allowed to propagate ideologies based on race superiority or any other ideology based on explicit unfounded discrimination, this is how it works. I guess america doesn't have the need to such regulations because they never had fascism (real fascism not oligarchies) in their country.

I understand, especially considering your country's history. But we are a nation founded to a certain extent on mistrusting governmental power. The Constitution is largely about limiting both the power of the government and how much power can be held by any one branch of government. One of the things we mistrust the government to decide is what kind of political speech is dangerous.

When we've had regulation of speech by the government, such as during the McCarty communist scare, the results have been some of our ugliest moments.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can Anyone Make Any Sense of These Trump Propaganda Brochures? Prof.Lunaphiles 2 329 April 21, 2020 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Can you sew? Can you save a life? Gawdzilla Sama 30 2548 April 5, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] America can you pls stop meddling in countries you have no busienss in. Cepheus Ace 44 2359 March 26, 2019 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  AGW protesters glue themselves to gov energy department (UK) Duty 24 2330 February 17, 2019 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Fucking Catholic Sacks of Shit Minimalist 0 430 October 28, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Lying Sack of Shit Keeps Lying Minimalist 16 1183 October 28, 2018 at 8:41 pm
  No Shit, Sherlock! Minimalist 0 366 August 3, 2018 at 11:51 am
  That's What You Get For Being Spineless Sacks of Shit Minimalist 5 652 June 20, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Whoops. Anyone Can Make A Mistake Minimalist 4 872 May 8, 2018 at 7:29 pm
  Franklin Graham Loses His Shit After Wisconsin Defeat Minimalist 9 1539 April 6, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: rskovride