Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
10 Questions for Every Atheist
10 Questions for Every Atheist
http://todaychristian.net/10-questions-every-atheist/

This is literally the ENTIRE post:

Quote:Some Questions Atheist Cannot Truly and Honestly REALLY Answer! Which leads to some interesting conclusions…

1. How Did You Become an Atheist?

2. What happens when we die?

3. What if you’re wrong? And there is a Heaven? And there is a HELL!

4. Without God, where do you get your morality from?

5. If there is no God, can we do what we want? Are we free to murder and rape? While good deeds are unrewarded?

6. If there is no god, how does your life have any meaning?

7. Where did the universe come from?

8. What about miracles? What all the people who claim to have a connection with Jesus? What about those who claim to have seen saints or angels?

9. What’s your view of Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris?

10. If there is no God, then why does every society have a religion?

Apparently, none of us can "Truly and Honestly REALLY Answer" the question how we became atheists. Like, oh, I don't know, "I stopped believing in a god" isn't a true, honest answer to how it happened...

I'm also wondering why they allude to these "interesting conclusions" and then never talk about what these conclusions are supposed to be, because I'm pretty sure just about every atheist in these forums has an honest answer to every single question they're asking.

It's a cryin' shame this article doesn't have a comments section.

Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
RE: 10 Questions for Every Atheist
(July 10, 2014 at 11:20 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote: It's a cryin' shame this article doesn't have a comments section.

Wait. What?

Why pose 10 questions without allowing people to answer those questions?
[Image: ascent_descent422.jpg]
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
@Clueless Morgan
-6. If there is no god, how does your life have any meaning?
You can't be serious.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Only because I feel like answering stupid questions, feel free to ignore:

Quote:Apparently, none of us can "Truly and Honestly REALLY Answer" the question how we became atheists. Like, oh, I don't know, "I stopped believing in a god" isn't a true, honest answer to how it happened...

The only people lying to themselves are those that really think there is a god out there. Anyone who is being even remotely intellectually honest with themselves has to admit there is no logical reason or credible evidence whatsoever for a god being real. That goes for deists too. An honest person says they don't know.
My contribution...

(July 10, 2014 at 11:20 am)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
Quote:Some Questions Atheist Cannot Truly and Honestly REALLY Answer! Which leads to some interesting conclusions…

With the examples of the Toothfairy, Santa and the Easterbunny it was inevitable to wonder if God was another made up entity. I decided it probably was.

Quote:2. What happens when we die?
Compost.

Quote:3. What if you’re wrong? And there is a Heaven? And there is a HELL!
Dead Horse

Quote:4. Without God, where do you get your morality from?
Only without the rewards and punishments can you actually make an uncoerced moral choice. Avoiding the whip and prostituting oneself for a reward isn't actually moral behavior.

Quote:5. If there is no God, can we do what we want? Are we free to murder and rape? While good deeds are unrewarded?
Dead Horse

Quote:6. If there is no god, how does your life have any meaning?
Dead Horse

Quote:7. Where did the universe come from?
Who knows? (Hint: repeating that goddidit doesn't count as knowing anything.)

Quote:8. What about miracles? What all the people who claim to have a connection with Jesus? What about those who claim to have seen saints or angels?
Uh .. I don't know .. how about screw them?

Quote:9. What’s your view of Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris?
All make some good points. Dawkins and Harris are piss poor philosophers. I don't go in for hero worship.

Quote:10. If there is no God, then why does every society have a religion?

Great question. [Hint: it isn't because literal gods are over-running the planet.]

Close observation of jesus freak morons.

2. What happens when we die?

Nothing

3. What if you’re wrong? And there is a Heaven? And there is a HELL!

I'm fucked...but the laws of probability are on my side.

4. Without God, where do you get your morality from?

Certainly not from the genocidal motherfucker you claim to worship.

5. If there is no God, can we do what we want? Are we free to murder and rape? While good deeds are unrewarded?

Yes, we can...until the cops show up. Good deeds are their own reward. BTW, you xtian fuckers don't think good deeds count, either.

6. If there is no god, how does your life have any meaning?

There is no god and my life is quite full.

7. Where did the universe come from?

I don't know. Try that instead of making up some silly shit.

8. What about miracles? What all the people who claim to have a connection with Jesus? What about those who claim to have seen saints or angels?

They are assholes...like the person who invented this quiz/

9. What’s your view of Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris?

Great thinkers. Unencumbered by centuries of superstitious hogwash.

10. If there is no God, then why does every society have a religion?

Because every society has con men looking to cash in on a lucrative scam. [/b]
Quote:How Did You Become an Atheist?
I've always been one. Though I do remember wondering during childhood, how adults could believe.

Quote:What happens when we die?

Our consciousness ceases instantly and our body decomposes.

Quote:What if you’re wrong? And there is a Heaven? And there is a HELL!

I'll have to revise my opinion. What if you're wrong and one of the myriad of other religions is right?

Quote:Without God, where do you get your morality from?

The same place you get yours. No, not from god. No one gets their morality directly from what you think is god. You pick and choose and revise to fit the times. What do you use to determine which parts are important or in need of revision?

Quote:If there is no God, can we do what we want? Are we free to murder and rape? While good deeds are unrewarded?

According to Christians god gave you free will. You are free to rape and murder. People do it all the time. Most of them believe in god. But, you have noticed that there are criminal laws haven't you? Those are the real deterrent to murder and rape.

Rewards come from feeling good about acting well and the approval of your fellows.

Quote:If there is no god, how does your life have any meaning?

Define meaning? Really, this is essentially a meaningless question. If you mean how does it have value, it has value to me and others who know and love me.

If your life is merely a piece of someone else's plan, how does your life have any meaning?

Quote:Where did the universe come from?

Haven't got a clue. If there is a god, where did it come from?

Quote:What about miracles? What all the people who claim to have a connection with Jesus? What about those who claim to have seen saints or angels

What about people who claim to have: seen or talked with ghosts; have ESP; have seen the Loch Ness Monster; been abducted by aliens (with or without medical exams); been brain altered by the government; remembered their past lives; talked with Allah; seen Zeus; seen zombies; petted unicorns; seen fairies; been hexed? See a pattern here?

Quote:What’s your view of Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris?

Love Dawkins books and his bombast about religion. I find Hitchens and Harris more thoughtful.

Quote: If there is no God, then why does every society have a religion?

If there is a god why does every society have a different religion?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
What's really funny is the Christian site (http://todaychristian.net/10-questions-every-atheist/) stole/lifted/copied/plagiarized the set of questions from an atheist's blog:

http://robertnielsen21.wordpress.com/201...-atheists/

and yet, neglected to post the responses to the questions.

Quite a head scratcher that is....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions for theist and atheist Torin 14 3375 August 18, 2016 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Torin
  Fact, every single german nazi was a christian Deepthunk 249 59694 August 16, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Man Crucified Every Year Manowar 10 3066 April 5, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Questions: atheist/theist friends pineapplebunnybounce 22 5779 July 19, 2013 at 3:24 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Use of religious language in every day speech rubikscube 24 6839 January 20, 2012 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Blam!
  100 Facts Every Atheist Teen Must Know 100Facts 117 28545 September 2, 2011 at 9:27 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  YouTube: 5 Questions Every Intelligent Atheist MUST Answer Mr Camel 18 10239 August 5, 2010 at 1:55 am
Last Post: SleepingDemon
  This should be taught in every school.. Darwinian 30 8553 December 28, 2009 at 1:57 am
Last Post: chatpilot