Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is a religion.
Atheism is a religion.
Okay first of all I want to know that right know I am a little angry, but don’t let that stop from speaking your mind okay, nor I want you to think I'm attacking someone in here.
Now the stuff is this. I was talking with a creationist that suffers from atheophobia. Even when she is an atheophobic she doesn't encourage anyone to hurt atheist however she constantly do what most atheophobics do, you know: diminish, ridicules, ignore, mock, denigrate and insult atheism. And while we were talking she drops out the classical “Atheism is a religion.” Witch of course I claim it wasn’t truth. And imagine my surprise when she gave me a list of names and locations and examples of atheist churches. I am from a third world country and in here there aren't such churches much less heard of anything like that. And so I decided to look and prove that there aren’t such things, which I can’t because there are in fact atheist churches.
So I was wondering if anyone could be so kind of explaining to me WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THOSE CHURCHES!!
[Image: objection-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
Because I always thought that CREATING A CHURCH IS THE LAST DAMN THING WE ATHEIST WILL DO!
Why would we create them in the first place. What would atheists go there? What the hell do they do there? And most important: WHY THE HELL DO THOSE ATHEISTS THINK THAT ASSIST TO A CHURCH ISN’T RELIGIOUS?
RE: Atheism is a religion.
(July 16, 2014 at 9:22 pm)Zidneya Wrote: Okay first of all I want to know that right know I am a little angry, but don’t let that stop from speaking your mind okay.
Now the stuff is this. I was talking with a creationist that suffers from atheophobia. Even when she is an atheophobic she doesn't encourage anyone to hurt atheist however she constantly do what most atheophobics do, you know: diminish, ridicules, ignore, mock, denigrate and insult atheism. And while we were talking she drops out the classical “Atheism is a religion.” Witch of course I claim it wasn’t truth. And imagine my surprise when she gave me a list of names and locations and examples of atheist churches. I am from a third world country and in here there aren't such churches much less heard of anything like that. And so I decided to look and prove that there aren’t such things, which I can’t because there are in fact atheist churches.
So I was wondering if anyone could be so kind of explaining to me WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THOSE CHURCHES!!
[Image: objection-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
Because I always thought that CREATING A CHURCH IS THE LAST DAMN THING WE ATHEIST WILL DO!
Why would we create them in the first place. What would atheists go there? What the hell do they do there? And most important: WHY THE HELL DO THOSE ATHEISTS THINK THAT ASSIST TO A CHURCH ISN’T RELIGIOUS?

Take a breath... I would agree that the use of the term 'church' to describe the places where these atheists, humanists, naturalists, etc. gather is ill conceived. In most circumstances they are similar to UU churches where they hold lectures on secular topics, sing encouraging songs, report on issues of mutual concern like the separation of church and state, and carry out social networking that would otherwise have been conducted at a religious church. In many cases this satisfies the desire of those atheist families, who can remember positive social experiences that revolved around church functions, without the cloud of theism. They could call them something else but most other terms which might be more appropriate usually have negative political connotations. In any case, having a church in the social sense is not a circumstance of being a religion which requires a doctrine. In all the cases that I'm familiar with, these churches do not profess a common doctrine other than the shared acknowledgement that they perceive no evidence of God.
Atheism in certain forms can be viewed as religion as can many other ideas per the definition "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance."
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(July 16, 2014 at 9:45 pm)Polaris Wrote: Atheism in certain forms can be viewed as religion as can many other ideas per the definition "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance."

I doubt that for many atheists, atheism is a "pursuit or interest" let alone one of "supreme interest"--rather fewer as a % than say chess enthusiasts or liberals or tea party conservatives. I'm enjoying the forum, but "supreme interest?" Hardly.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
What is the definition of a "church"
The Freemasons gather in their "church"

I think of them as a club.
Mind you, with most clubs, moola needs to swap hands....

Do religious people have more respect (or a divine bond) with a believer from another eg, non christian faith, or with an athiest?
Or do they oppose all others equally?
Interesting.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Whatever it is that forms the basis of their so-called church must be something other than atheism.
My guess is anti-theism. Attaching the name church to it is a bit odd but not equal to religion in the sense anti-theism is typically concerned with. Add a value system that includes political action and unfettered devotion to unsubstantiated claims and now you're in religion's domain.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(July 16, 2014 at 9:45 pm)Polaris Wrote: Atheism in certain forms can be viewed as religion as can many other ideas per the definition "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance."

Ascribing supreme importance to limiting your beliefs to things which can be shown to exist or those things which exhibit constructive applications to understanding reality can only be a religion if it is associated with a specific and unchanging doctrine, and usually associated with ritual.

Most atheists do not adhere to any doctrine or practice ritual and consequently we refer to the 'adherence' by another name; education. For which the institutions are referred to as colleges or schools and not churches.
(July 16, 2014 at 9:22 pm)Zidneya Wrote: What the hell do they do there?

Fuck and make little atheists?
Some atheists have told me they miss the 'community' of church going. Then there is the obvious tax break angle. Even if one were to go this route, it would hardly make atheism a religion. (I personally would never attend one.)
I would give a weekly atheist group a try if only from a desire to further community causes without the stupid pretext of rescuing souls.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4968 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11400 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24784 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5973 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8577 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27132 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yes, Atheism is a Religion Delicate 278 42598 December 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3255 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4638 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue