Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism on the rise - Demographics
Atheism on the rise - Demographics
As you've probably noticed the number of atheists has been growing. If we look at northern European States like Norway, Finland, Sweden and Denmark, or even Germany or the UK, we'll notice there has been not only an increase of people who identify themselves as atheists, but some of those countries already have a considerable number of atheist citizens. I believe even in the US there has been a slight increase over the years, but not yet significant, heck even in Brazil, a highly Christian country (they call themselves the most Christian country in the world) atheism is increasing

So, will atheism continue do increase? Why? What will the repercussions be in public life? Do you think any atheists will, in the future, persecute religious people when atheism becomes the predominant position? Will social prejudice or discrimination arise against theists/religious people?

Most new atheists are young people who dislike the dogma of religion (more or less my age group - 20's and 30's - But also younger people like generation Y), and not all young people became atheists, many of them, and I've observed this trend closely, are becoming agnostic non religious theists or some kind of deists with spiritual beliefs, not all are inclined to become atheists, so my bet is that theism will still prevail for a while

As for the causes - Higher more widespread critical thinking stimulant education (mainly in northern European countries but also in most first world countries), lack of empathy with dogmas and preference for free thinking, lots of information available and spread trough technology (I could say showing some theist friends a few web pages would make them become atheists in five minutes), the progress of science, secularism and separation of church and State, and many more...

How can we explain that many people have quit religion but are still some kind of theists/deists? Most of those people are practical atheists. I've noticed this in my close friends group, we are all in our 20's, most of them despise and criticize religion, but believing in god and spirits is still simply the standard for them, I have a female friend who claims to see and talk to spirits, but she hates religion and dogmas, it's a sort of spiritualism, more sophisticated and intellectual than religion, but still no evidence for it
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Atheism on the rise - Demographics
I think I fit that description... I am a devout practicing atheist! And I regularly dabble with spirits!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I've noted this before, I consider the cafeteria movement to be strong allies with atheism.

Consider, a particular religious person already does not believe in all the other religions, and if we do even a cursory test of sincerity of belief on that person, we are going to find they don't buy into maybe 90% of the crap in Scriptures. My favorite example would be remarriage following divorce.

Is your average pew sitter even aware, seriously, even remotely aware the practice is forbidden specifically by Christ ?? Damn few if any preachers ever bring it up. Many of those preachers are themselves, divorced and remarried. How can a congregation have a particle of assurance of salvation under such outrageously sinful saturation ?

WTF ?? And that's just one edict. What of all the other scripture on the 'don't bother me with that list' ??

How do we consider them not to be fellow travellers with mainline atheism ?? I'd assert that not only is atheism winning, we are already the dominant leader in the category.

Be honest Christians, you're already 99% on board with us, another 1% isn't going to put you any deeper in the lake of fire.
That last 1% we cannot budge.
That is their ticket to be respected amongst the masses.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 19, 2014 at 9:04 am)Blackout Wrote: As you've probably noticed the number of atheists has been growing. If we look at northern European States like Norway, Finland, Sweden and Denmark, or even Germany or the UK, we'll notice there has been not only an increase of people who identify themselves as atheists, but some of those countries already have a considerable number of atheist citizens.
Check out the fertility rates of those countries. They're not replacing themselves.
(July 20, 2014 at 7:15 am)alpha male Wrote:
(July 19, 2014 at 9:04 am)Blackout Wrote: As you've probably noticed the number of atheists has been growing. If we look at northern European States like Norway, Finland, Sweden and Denmark, or even Germany or the UK, we'll notice there has been not only an increase of people who identify themselves as atheists, but some of those countries already have a considerable number of atheist citizens.
Check out the fertility rates of those countries. They're not replacing themselves.

After the whole population becomes atheist or at least agnostic, the minimum required will be the necessary to sustain the following generations.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

One day in the future, their might be two main positions, belief in God without religion, and Atheism. I don't know which one will become more prevalent.
What about "belief in religion" sans god? If I had to make predictions, I'd put that opposite anti-theism, rather than atheism- as a likely outcome.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Of course a majority atheists in a given geographic and time could become abusive to theists or other atheists. We are not a separate species. Our ability to be cruel or compassionate is in our evolution, not our labels. Labels do not automatically make someone moral.
(July 20, 2014 at 1:53 pm)Rhythm Wrote: What about "belief in religion" sans god? If I had to make predictions, I'd put that opposite anti-theism, rather than atheism- as a likely outcome.

Belief in religion without god? How? Anti-theism will be more prevalent than atheism? Why?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2750 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism seems to rise in Turkey Woah0 1 835 September 11, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27124 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is Atheism on the rise? Incognito 44 3858 June 25, 2016 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism on the rise in the middle east dyresand 16 5274 June 14, 2015 at 11:42 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12478 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12152 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10490 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Number of atheists on the rise? And Muslims? Astronaut17 6 3735 May 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Meliorism - The rise of neo-atheism and the fall of reason ManMachine 118 58096 April 25, 2013 at 4:25 am
Last Post: ManMachine