Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inter caste marriage problem
inter caste marriage problem
This is still a problem in this 21 century. How do you think we can convince those people who believe that people should always marry same caste religion person. They don't care about love. I have seen many cases. When they say that they love each other and their parents don't care.
RE: inter caste marriage problem
(July 19, 2014 at 6:12 pm)intellectual atheist Wrote: This is still a problem in this 21 century. How do you think we can convince those people who believe that people should always marry same caste religion person. They don't care about love. I have seen many cases. When they say that they love each other and their parents don't care.

Best method - Execute everyone who thinks like that... Nah I'm just kidding, I don't know the cure to stupidity.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Seems like the first step is telling the parents to bugger off.
(July 19, 2014 at 7:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Seems like the first step is telling the parents to bugger off.

Or bugger off away from the parents! Tongue
The problem with the 'buggering off' solutions is that the people wanting to marry outside their castes generally would need to go a long, long way away.

While the caste system - and discrimination based on castes - has long been illegal in India, this is one of those laws more honoured in the breech than in the observance. Lots of employers will not hire you for a job outside your caste, and mixed-caste couples have reported finding great difficulty in obtaining housing, medical care, etc.

It isn't as if a mixed-caste couple can simply ignore their parents' wishes, get married, find a flat, get jobs, and get on with their lives. Illegal or not, the social ostracism of marrying (or even behaving) outside one's caste is still a problem in India.

As a side note, I've always found caste systems (particularly the Hindu one) to be one of the most cynical and cruel methods of using religion to keep people in their place. Fucking Hindus.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 20, 2014 at 6:29 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: As a side note, I've always found caste systems (particularly the Hindu one) to be one of the most cynical and cruel methods of using religion to keep people in their place. Fucking Hindus.

Boru

This is a much wider subject than it appears on the surface. It is not just religion but culture. Also you are supposing that a love match is a far superior way of choosing a marriage partner than having a marriage arranged. In fact, it is not, as our divorce figures show. It is also only comparatively recent. 100 years ago even in the west people got married according to parents' wishes or for economic reasons.
I am white English, was married to an Indian woman for 20 years, and all our kids are half Indian. Ours was a love marriage. But I have came across lots of Indian couples in arranged marriages and they are doing just fine.
You have to look at it across history to get the big picture. It might look a bit harsh, but
the hindu system has worked pretty well for a couple of thousand years. Although they are supposed to marry within a caste, the couple are chosen from locations far apart which is an effective way of avoiding interbreeding and incest, which hindus are really careful about.
Unlike Pakistani muslims, who are often forced to marry first cousins, who are considered the same as brother and sister to hindus.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
(July 20, 2014 at 7:13 am)vodkafan Wrote:
(July 20, 2014 at 6:29 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: As a side note, I've always found caste systems (particularly the Hindu one) to be one of the most cynical and cruel methods of using religion to keep people in their place. Fucking Hindus.

Boru

This is a much wider subject than it appears on the surface. It is not just religion but culture. Also you are supposing that a love match is a far superior way of choosing a marriage partner than having a marriage arranged. In fact, it is not, as our divorce figures show. It is also only comparatively recent. 100 years ago even in the west people got married according to parents' wishes or for economic reasons.
I am white English, was married to an Indian woman for 20 years, and all our kids are half Indian. Ours was a love marriage. But I have came across lots of Indian couples in arranged marriages and they are doing just fine.
You have to look at it across history to get the big picture. It might look a bit harsh, but
the hindu system has worked pretty well for a couple of thousand years. Although they are supposed to marry within a caste, the couple are chosen from locations far apart which is an effective way of avoiding interbreeding and incest, which hindus are really careful about.
Unlike Pakistani muslims, who are often forced to marry first cousins, who are considered the same as brother and sister to hindus.

You couldn't be further from what I was talking about. You quoted my comment - which was an indictment of the caste system as a whole - and then referenced love marriages vs. arranged marriage, which isn't what I was driving at.

I'm not the least bit interested (for the purposes of this thread, at least) as to whether an arranged marriage works. My comments were about the problems faced by inter-caste couples in Hindu societies.

So, the caste system worked. So what? Slavery works, but most countries have abolished it. If the caste system is so bloody good, why does India have so many laws against it? I'll tell you why - it is inherently unfair and cruel. In essence, it tells the people on the bottom, 'Don't try to better yourself. Just keep quiet, carry on shoveling out cesspits, and you'll be better off in the next life.' How the FUCK is that any different from mind-fuck practiced by the Abrahamic religions: 'Do as you're told and you'll be rewarded in the hereafter'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 20, 2014 at 7:13 am)vodkafan Wrote:

Boru

When you say worked well, what do you mean well?

Horse and cart worked "well" for much more than 2000 years. Would you prefer the stable and the wainwright over the automobile?

Also Divorce may means the failure of a marriage, but higher failure rate of marriage does not mean the society is not therefore better off overall because of mobility, experimentation, and willingness to break out of strictures that created the higher divorce rate as a byproduct. Enforced family stability is not a virtue if enforcement carries with it a myriad of other harmful oppressions.
Worked well.

Worked.. well.

That's why little girls are being bedded, the red district is massively massive, orphans overwhelm the streets, Fathers are ordering the death of their own children, and women are forced to marry and consumate with men they dont choose? Because having no dreams for a future other than what your birthright has predestined you for in your culture, has historically been a good idea.

I can't facepalm hard enough right now.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(July 19, 2014 at 7:32 pm)Blackout Wrote: Best method - Execute everyone who thinks like that... Nah I'm just kidding, I don't know the cure to stupidity.
:hesitantly lowers the axe:

Dude, don't say it if you don't mean it, gets me all excited. Fucking tease.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will Aroura 163 45756 June 5, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich
  Religion & Marriage miaharun 6 1809 November 5, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Catholics are victims of marriage equality (apparently) piterski123 76 10800 July 5, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gay marriage finally legalized. piterski123 16 6841 June 29, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Regina
  #Hometovote (On Irish Marriage Equality) Fidel_Castronaut 4 1906 May 24, 2015 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Same-sex marriage is stealing rights from God Foxaèr 52 13572 July 27, 2014 at 8:33 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Christian scholars: 1 man, 1 woman isn't the Bible's only marriage view little_monkey 5 3694 June 4, 2013 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
Photo On the definition of marriage... Baalzebutt 13 6068 February 1, 2013 at 3:07 am
Last Post: Violet
  Gay Marriage: Why the christians need to STFU about it Creed of Heresy 58 29081 May 26, 2012 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Obama's church buddies on his new gay marriage stance libalchris 93 41080 May 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Jinkies