Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Word of Suggestion
Lightbulb 
A Word of Suggestion
Dear Board Monitors,
(Please note this by no means is a call out!)

I have just come off my second suspension of a whole week. Ban I would like to express my concerns about the way this forum is run. I understand there are rules and that violating them have consequences. Additionally, I fully understand that being a Christian on an atheist forum places a big fat bull's eye on me. Nevertheless, I would like you to consider the following bullets:

- If I do not respond to posts it has more to do with my busy life and not being able to respond to everyone in a timely fashion and/or I may of accidentally overlooked someone's comment or question.

- There are a whole lot more of you than me. It takes me a lot of time to go through the responses to my threads.

- I am good for the board. An oppositional view creates discussion, makes us research, promotes debate, helps us examine our beliefs.

- How does one as I state my case if I wake up one morning and see my membership has been suspended and I disagree but can't plead my case? Banned

- I would like to stay on this forum but not by needing to walk on eggshells that one of the monitors will subjectively suspend me unfairly.

- I would like to hear from the monitors on this board to address these concerns of mine.

Sincerely,
Rev777
RE: A Word of Suggestion
There's a very easy method to avoid getting banned. I'm not a moderator, but here goes my piece of advice:

The next time you post threads to discuss the bible, instead of merely preaching and quoting bible verses to try to convert us, actually have a discussion based on evidence and facts. When I say facts, I don't mean bible verses, saying 'the bible is right because god said so' won't get you anywhere.

Best regards, and I hope you start discussing things properly
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Welcome back Rev... You sound like a cool dude!
Let's talk about other stuff which won't get you banned.
Have some fun with us in the "ban the loser above you thread" or the "what are you up to thread", for example.
As atheists, "God" is not very high on our "serious" subjects.
(Although we have a lot of fun with it)

Logic and critical thinking IS!
This covers all topics from philosophy, science, politics, morality, religion, etc
Be cool, have some fun! Being a Christian shouldn't be a burden to anybody.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 26, 2014 at 7:53 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: - If I do not respond to posts it has more to do with my busy life and not being able to respond to everyone in a timely fashion and/or I may of accidentally overlooked someone's comment or question.

- There are a whole lot more of you than me. It takes me a lot of time to go through the responses to my threads.

No one will fault you for not responding to every comment or question. But everyone will notice if you fail to satisfactorily address the broad thrust of the key comments and questions that has been repeatedly raised, and go merrily on preaching as if vehemence and repetition can in anyway whatsoever make up for lack of acceptable basis of the sermon.

(July 26, 2014 at 7:53 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: - I am good for the board. An oppositional view creates discussion, makes us research, promotes debate, helps us examine our beliefs.

Don't flatter yourself. You are not the only one or the first one to raise each of the points you've raised. Since in raising them again you've not addressed any of the objections to them that caused them to fall flat the first time, nor show evidence of having even researched what those objections were, you add no value whatsoever to either the board, or the points you tried to resurrect.
(July 26, 2014 at 7:53 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: - How does one as I state my case if I wake up one morning and see my membership has been suspended and I disagree but can't plead my case? Banned

By waiting until the ban expires.

(July 26, 2014 at 7:53 pm)Revelation777 Wrote: - I would like to stay on this forum but not by needing to walk on eggshells that one of the monitors will subjectively suspend me unfairly.

Preaching is what got you banned. Preaching on eggshells won't help. You need to stop preaching and defend your arguments using methods commonly acceptable to both sides. If you can't defend your arguments with arguments with methods acceptable to us, you are wasting our time and yours.

People are convinced by arguments acceptable to them, not by those that are only acceptable to you.
Rev, I'm not a mod, nor can I speak for them, but from my understanding of the rules your ban was perfectly legit. Calling out the mods (or anyone else) the way you are (yes, you are) is also against the rules. Have you read them?

Your abandonment of discussion, argument, debate or even yelling matches in favor of blatant preaching would earn you a lifetime ban at many an atheist oriented forum. If we want to be preached at, we'll find a theist forum. Consider yourself lucky.

If you want to engage around here, please do. If all you're going to do is preach, kindly fuck off.

(July 26, 2014 at 8:08 pm)Blackout Wrote: I hope you start discussing things properly

I think we all hope he does. What he actually does will be the proof.

I think Rev's on his last leg, and a wobbly one at that. He'll get himself banned before much longer.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(July 26, 2014 at 9:23 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Rev, I'm not a mod, nor can I speak for them, but from my understanding of the rules your ban was perfectly legit. Calling out the mods (or anyone else) the way you are (yes, you are) is also against the rules. Have you read them?

Your abandonment of discussion, argument, debate or even yelling matches in favor of blatant preaching would earn you a lifetime ban at many an atheist oriented forum. If we want to be preached at, we'll find a theist forum. Consider yourself lucky.

If you want to engage around here, please do. If all you're going to do is preach, kindly fuck off.

Galactic BusDriver,
I am not calling out the monitors. They are the ones who enforce the rules so that is why I am addressing them. I made suggestions. In addition, I started my bible study threads with asking if it were ok and I got no objections from the monitors. Also, I posted in the R'lhey thread which is supposed to have a more relaxed atmosphere. What you call preaching to me is not preaching. I had a bible study. I use the Bible and if you don't agree with it so be it. But that is my frame of reference and I believe to be truth.
Rev: nobody is victimised by the staff, just as nobody gets favourable treatment. It has nothing to do with being a theist on an atheist forum - that's just your martyr chip feeding you scrambled information. The rules apply to everyone equally - staff included - and anyone breaking them is dealt with just as equally. All rule violations are subject to intense staff discussion and nobody, apart from spammers and known sockpuppets, gets sanctioned on a whim. You know why you were suspended; stay within the framework of the rules and you can stay here as long as you like.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Now, if Rev777 were to start preaching to the Cafeteria Christers about Literalism and Inerrancy . . . .

Angel Cloud
(July 26, 2014 at 9:31 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Rev: nobody is victimised by the staff, just as nobody gets favourable treatment. It has nothing to do with being a theist on an atheist forum - that's just your martyr chip feeding you scrambled information. The rules apply to everyone equally - staff included - and anyone breaking them is dealt with just as equally. All rule violations are subject to intense staff discussion and nobody, apart from spammers and known sockpuppets, gets sanctioned on a whim. You know why you were suspended; stay within the framework of the rules and you can stay here as long as you like.

Why can't there be a process where I can explain my case and appeal the suspension? I would understand if the monitors reject my appeal but I have no communication with anyone on the board for a whole week. In the good ol' USA at least those accused of violating the law gets a chance to defend themselves. I believe a person who gets suspended should get a chance to appeal. Just my opinion.
(July 26, 2014 at 9:31 pm)Revelation777 Wrote:
(July 26, 2014 at 9:23 pm)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: Rev, I'm not a mod, nor can I speak for them, but from my understanding of the rules your ban was perfectly legit. Calling out the mods (or anyone else) the way you are (yes, you are) is also against the rules. Have you read them?

Galactic BusDriver,
I am not calling out the monitors. They are the ones who enforce the rules so that is why I am addressing them. I made suggestions. In addition, I started my bible study threads with asking if it were ok and I got no objections from the monitors. Also, I posted in the R'lhey thread which is supposed to have a more relaxed atmosphere. What you call preaching to me is not preaching. I had a bible study. I use the Bible and if you don't agree with it so be it. But that is my frame of reference and I believe to be truth.

But saying the bible is the ultimate truth by merely pointing out verses that, as far as we know, have no evidence to be genuine descriptions of past events that actually happened, isn't going to get you very far.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion: Install Soma Tablet Depositories On All Threads Violet 17 2482 May 3, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Suggestion: atheism source links Foxaèr 3 1098 April 28, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does this already exist? If not, count it as a suggestion Reltzik 26 2982 October 3, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Joods
  Sub forum suggestion Joods 2 977 July 15, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Code suggestion Joods 30 4827 May 21, 2018 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Compulsory swearing subsection suggestion I_am_not_mafia 47 6305 May 13, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Civility subsection suggestion Catholic_Lady 400 46460 May 11, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Min's Rep Indication Suggestion Edwardo Piet 42 4092 October 19, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Suggestion for debate forum ErGingerbreadMandude 1 1259 December 20, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Tagging suggestion Foxaèr 12 2450 November 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Cyberman