Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Civility subsection suggestion
Civility subsection suggestion
So Alpha had a good idea that he brought up in a different thread, and I liked it and wanted to present it here as a suggestion. 

The idea was to have a single subforum with its own set of rules, geared towards civil discussion about serious topics. The rules for civility would be along the lines of: no insults, no mocking, no off topic posts, etc.... similar rules as the introduction section. Basically an "if you're just here to sling BS and not for honest discussion, don't post" rule, lol. This would also be different from the debate section, as that section is for formal one on one debate, and not for simple discussion among various people who choose to pop in and participate.     

I understand the value of free speech here, so let me reiterate that these rules would not apply to the rest of the forums. This would merely be a single reserved section for people who want civil discussion and exchange of ideas about serious topics, without having to comb through all the insults, shit posts, mocking comments, random memes, etc. If someone does not like the terms/conditions, they need not use that section.  

I figure if we have a rlyeh section for relaxed rules, why not also have the opposite option? 

Anyway, just a thought.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Civility subsection suggestion
(May 1, 2018 at 1:56 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: So Alpha had a good idea that he brought up in a different thread, and I liked it and wanted to present it here as a suggestion. 

The idea was to have a single subforum with its own set of rules, geared towards civil discussion about serious topics. The rules for civility would be along the lines of: no insults, no mocking, no off topic posts, etc.... similar rules as the introduction section. Basically an "if you're just here to sling BS and not for honest discussion, don't post" rule, lol. This would also be different from the debate section, as that section is for formal one on one debate, and not for simple discussion among various people who choose to pop in and participate.     

I understand the value of free speech here, so let me reiterate that these rules would not apply to the rest of the forums. This would merely be a single reserved section for people who want civil discussion and exchange of ideas about serious topics, without having to comb through all the insults, shit posts, mocking comments, random memes, etc. If someone does not like the terms/conditions, they need not use that section.  

I figure if we have a rlyeh section for relaxed rules, why not also have the opposite option? 

Anyway, just a thought.

It seems like a needless complication for the mod team.  Forums with rules like that are pretty easy to find.  I doubt if anyone who signs up to enforce the rules we have now is going to be happy to have to jump between the mindset of enforcing one set of rules in order to get in the mindset required to enforce the other.  I'd say no way.  We already have a kid gloves rules section for introductions.
I doubt that the quality of discussion on the boards will improve by instituting anti-blasphemy laws. Besides, enforcing "no bullshit slinging" and "serious conversation" rules would require the mods to determine that..at least in some instances (let's not kid ourselves..all instances of god bothering)...a persons beliefs ran afoul of them.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 1, 2018 at 2:06 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(May 1, 2018 at 1:56 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: So Alpha had a good idea that he brought up in a different thread, and I liked it and wanted to present it here as a suggestion. 

Anyway, just a thought.

It seems like a needless complication for the mod team.  Forums with rules like that are pretty easy to find.  I doubt if anyone who signs up to enforce the rules we have now is going to be happy to have to jump between the mindset of enforcing one set of rules in order to get in the mindset required to enforce the other.  I'd say no way.  We already have a kid gloves rules section for introductions.

Yeah anyone could just go to other forums instead for that. I just thought it would be interesting to have it as an option here too.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
but shitposting is subjective

Anyway, just a thought.

This would be a great addition to the forum in my opinion! Good idea, CL Smile
Quote:I doubt that the quality of discussion on the boards will improve by instituting anti-blasphemy laws.

I like blasphemy!
Serious discussion?

But I'd have to avoid it.
Dying to live, living to die.
We voted on getting a similar subsection a while back and it passed, but we haven’t had time to actually start it up yet. It’s not exactly the same though and it’s been so long we’ll probably need to have a new discussion about it. But anyway I’d call that a maybe. Hehe
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 1, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Losty Wrote: We voted on getting a similar subsection a while back and it passed, but we haven’t had time to actually start it up yet. It’s not exactly the same though and it’s been so long we’ll probably need to have a new discussion about it. But anyway I’d call that a maybe. Hehe

Hmmm...
Very well..... make me an admin and I'll make it come true! Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion: Install Soma Tablet Depositories On All Threads Violet 17 2462 May 3, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Suggestion: atheism source links Foxaèr 3 1080 April 28, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Does this already exist? If not, count it as a suggestion Reltzik 26 2943 October 3, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Joods
  Sub forum suggestion Joods 2 973 July 15, 2018 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New Code suggestion Joods 30 4803 May 21, 2018 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Compulsory swearing subsection suggestion I_am_not_mafia 47 6263 May 13, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Min's Rep Indication Suggestion Edwardo Piet 42 4044 October 19, 2017 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Suggestion for debate forum ErGingerbreadMandude 1 1246 December 20, 2016 at 5:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Tagging suggestion Foxaèr 12 2431 November 19, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  So I have a suggestion BrokenQuill92 1 1313 October 1, 2016 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Tiberius