Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ethics if factory farming
The ethics if factory farming
So I eat meat. A lot of meat. My family has a history of diabetes and thyroid issues so I try to stay away from carbs and sugars. I've also participated in the slaughter and processing of animals. It's this experience that has made me think about and change the way I buy and consume animal products.

Factory farmed meat is when animals spend their entire lives cooped up with very little room to move. This is often dirty and unhygienic. In the case of chickens it results in a lot of chickens dying prematurely. These animals clearly go through unnecessary suffering throughout their lives. Many people, including myself, would call this animal cruelty. This is why I exclusively buy free range and cruelty free meat when I just don't hunt or slaughter an animal myself. I think this is much more humane and ethical.

But factory meat is cheap. In this country it is extremely rare for people to starve to death. Even the poorest people can usually afford at least some meat. The introduction of factory farming meat has allowed more people to eat better than they could before. Hunger and starvation have been greatly reduced by this.

So I would like to hear opinions. Is factory farming of meat a net positive or a net negative?
RE: The ethics if factory farming
Call me an asshole, I don't care how the meat is obtained as long as I can buy it at the supermarket.

I also like wearing leather shoes and belts, and I don't feel guilty for it.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I am at a factory farm chicken processing plant right now. I see the chickens going in one side getting processed and I smell them cooking on the other. The customer just brought me a sample of the cooked product, a chicken tender. Fuck it tasted good! Fresh killed and fresh cooked.
(August 1, 2014 at 2:38 pm)Natachan Wrote: So I eat meat. A lot of meat. My family has a history of diabetes and thyroid issues so I try to stay away from carbs and sugars. I've also participated in the slaughter and processing of animals. It's this experience that has made me think about and change the way I buy and consume animal products.

Factory farmed meat is when animals spend their entire lives cooped up with very little room to move. This is often dirty and unhygienic. In the case of chickens it results in a lot of chickens dying prematurely. These animals clearly go through unnecessary suffering throughout their lives. Many people, including myself, would call this animal cruelty. This is why I exclusively buy free range and cruelty free meat when I just don't hunt or slaughter an animal myself. I think this is much more humane and ethical.

But factory meat is cheap. In this country it is extremely rare for people to starve to death. Even the poorest people can usually afford at least some meat. The introduction of factory farming meat has allowed more people to eat better than they could before. Hunger and starvation have been greatly reduced by this.

So I would like to hear opinions. Is factory farming of meat a net positive or a net negative?

It is a net positive. Animal suffering has little weight in my estimation compared to human benefit.
I'm with Chuck, net positive. Morality takes a back seat to necessity, in my estimation. Doesn't mean that we couldn't improve factory farming (or even that I, personally, would operate a factory farm - thinking it's a good idea) - just means that it's the best we've got, currently, all considerations accounted for - and it does a hell of alot of good. I've always though that having to physically watch someone starve from day to day would make the hardest vegan club a puppy and feed it to the hungry masses (ultimately AI realize that this is just my reaction, but I do assume that I'm a fairly average human being). It's only from the lofty position of -extreme- good fortune that we can even begin to consider the morality of factory farming.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Why can't people just enjoy the fleshy goodness?
The other day I saw a chicken wearing a Human-skin hat. Seems fair Thinking

(August 1, 2014 at 5:02 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Morality takes a back seat to necessity, in my estimation.

Would you slaughter a less-fortunate Human for meat if it were 'necessary' for your survival (since morality is in the back seat)?
I'd probably stall the decision until such a time as my decision making faculties were so compromised that whatever I "chose" the act would be moot. In the search for food, a human being is worth more than the meat clinging to their bones (that's why there are so many of us, with so much meat clinging to our bones). I couldn't be the guy to string up members of the donner party, personally, nor would I want to be the guy that starved everyone by destroying my body in such a situation as to be inedible. I imagine that I could, in the end, be pursuaded by the smell of roasted long-pig - like many a human being before me. The idea is disgusting to me, sure - but I've put some questionable shit into my mouth under less duress brutha.

I'd love to be able to promise you that I wouldn't eat your silly ass if we got lost in the woods...but I think your best bet...is just not to get lost in the woods with me(or anyone, really..lol).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 1, 2014 at 5:17 pm)Rhythm Wrote: but I think your best bet...is just not to get lost in the woods with me(or anyone, really..lol).
"Lost" in the woods... That's a good one ROFLOL
Yeah, but you sort of forced it on me with the scenario. I get the feeling that you're the kind of guy that wouldn't go hungry in the woods. So am I. But hey...if it came down to it man, it's essentially a thunderdome issue, 2 men enter.....you know? Don't let the friendly mug fool you.....I'm only smiling so that you understand the sort of animal you're dealing with here.....Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ethics of Neutrality John 6IX Breezy 16 1187 November 20, 2023 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ethics of Fashion John 6IX Breezy 60 3768 August 9, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Ethics Disagreeable 44 3898 March 23, 2022 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: deepend
  Machine Intelligence and Human Ethics BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1847 May 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1114 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Trolley Problem/Consistency in Ethics vulcanlogician 150 17944 January 30, 2018 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics vulcanlogician 69 8685 November 27, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  what are you ethics based on justin 50 16394 February 24, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Compatibility Of Three Approachs To Ethics Edwardo Piet 18 3154 October 2, 2016 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Utilitarianism and Population Ethics Edwardo Piet 10 1719 April 24, 2016 at 3:45 am
Last Post: robvalue