Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montreal is taxing churches
Montreal is taxing churches
The news is a month old, but I don't remember seeing it until now.

Quote:Churches in Montreal are becoming concerned about hosting community groups after being hit with bills for municipal taxes.

Joel Coppetiers, the Minister at the Cote des Neiges Presbyterian church, was shocked when his institution first received a municipal tax bill in early 2015.

It was "the first indication that something had changed," said Coppetiers.

Provincial law exempts churches and manses from paying municipal taxes but Coppetiers was told that if a manse is vacant for several months between ministers, it's taxable.

Following that, city officials arrived for an inspection of every room in the church and how they were used.
"The indication is there's not an exemption for the church as a whole, there's only an exemption for those areas used for public worship and things directly related to it," said Coppetiers.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/no-more-reli...-1.3415164
RE: Montreal is taxing churches
I support this personally
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I'd personally like to see the gov (every country) take their full nick on property taxes, as a minimum.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Good.  Fuck the bastards.  They've gotten away with this shit for far too long.
Only impacts God's one True church, the Congregation of Jehovah's Presbytery of Zion. And there aren't any in Montreal.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Churches need to be taxed Foxaèr 12 648 July 16, 2020 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7216 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 2919 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy? Fake Messiah 55 8875 October 22, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches! Minimalist 29 5468 April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt? vaginahouse 341 60724 December 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history? LoveLogicalLife 21 4370 August 11, 2014 at 11:29 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Why don't terrorists just suicide bomb churches in the US? Dosolid 37 8429 June 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: vodkafan
  The Reality of Churches (and their selfish agendas) The Reality Salesman01 42 8925 November 21, 2013 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Are the Churches Incorrigible? Are They Any Better Today? Michael Schubert 7 3552 July 27, 2013 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Walking Void