Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Churches need to be taxed
Churches need to be taxed
If the C-19 pandemic and churches receiving huge monetary bailouts from the government has taught us at least one thing, it's that the church must be held responsible for paying taxes since it has breached the constitutional law regarding separation of church and state.

Televangelists and megachurches tied to Trump get huge bailouts

Sceintology gets bailout despite being worth billions

More churches receive bailout

We cannot stand for this, something has to be done.
RE: Churches need to be taxed
Also, anti-LGBTQ groups got more than $2 million in virus relief loans

Quote:Several of the organizations have been designated as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Chris Fleming, spokesperson for Accountable for Equality, which works to educate the public about anti-LGBTQ extremists, said in an email this week that some of the groups have gone so far as to oppose including sexual orientation and gender identity protections in anti-lynching and hate crimes laws.

"I don't think it's a stretch to say that tax payer funds shouldn't go to support groups that defend killing gay people," he wrote. "Public funds have no business pushing tax paying Americans out of the public square, let alone promoting hate and violence. These groups promote the marginalization of LGBT people."
In total, the eight groups received between $2,650,000 and $6,400,000 through the PPP program.

https://americanindependent.com/anti-lgb...-covid-19/
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
A ton of politicians also padded their pockets in the process. Are we really surprised that when you hold up a "free money" sign that the greediest will kick and claw their way to the front for their handouts?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
But tackattack, why can't Christians just believe in God? Why do they need to hoard money as well?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Here's why.

[Image: image.png]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
the money was for businesses. churches are tax exempt. they outed themselves by accepting the money. churches are businesses and owe a great deal of taxes.
They don’t need to hoard money. As a Christian I don’t and my church doesn’t. As masoni pointed out, those that took a government handout to continue operating aren’t operating on faith in God and outing themselves. they’re abusing their Gov’t ties and should forfeit their tax exempt status, IMO.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
The tax status of churches is justified on the fiction that promoting religion is somehow - in and of itself a 'charitable purpose'...feeding the hungry isn't a requirement, nor is housing the homeless or giving shoes to poor kids - all you have to do is promote religion (the real reason has to do with the wartime collusion between the Church and William of Normandy, but you have to dig a little to find it).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
When someone asks you why there are atheist organizations, show them this:

Quote:After lobbying, Catholic Church won $1.4 billion in coronavirus aid

The US Roman Catholic Church used a special and unprecedented exemption from federal rules to amass at least $1.4 billion in taxpayer-backed coronavirus aid, with many millions going to dioceses that have paid huge settlements or sought bankruptcy protection because of clergy sexual abuse cover-ups.

A loan of at least $2 million went to the diocese covering Wheeling-Charleston, West Virginia, where a church investigation revealed last year that then-Bishop Michael Bransfield embezzled funds and made sexual advances toward young priests.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/10/n...virus-aid/
I agree that churches should be taxed because they sap the economy.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Montreal is taxing churches Foxaèr 4 672 June 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7179 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 2913 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy? Fake Messiah 55 8856 October 22, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches! Minimalist 29 5442 April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt? vaginahouse 341 60627 December 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history? LoveLogicalLife 21 4356 August 11, 2014 at 11:29 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Why don't terrorists just suicide bomb churches in the US? Dosolid 37 8418 June 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: vodkafan
  The Reality of Churches (and their selfish agendas) The Reality Salesman01 42 8916 November 21, 2013 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Are the Churches Incorrigible? Are They Any Better Today? Michael Schubert 7 3545 July 27, 2013 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Walking Void