Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genetic Entropy? (Accidently Posted in "Introductions" Forum)
Genetic Entropy? (Accidently Posted in "Introductions" Forum)
I have been prodding around on Creationist Websites for fun and I came upon this:

http://blog.drwile.com/?p=10038

In this he claims that Genetic Entropy now has evidence is it's favor.

He cites this paper published in Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling:

http://www.tbiomed.com/content/pdf/1742-4682-9-42.pdf

To which the paper claims to have found Mutation Accumulation in the genome of the H1N1 virus from the 1918 flu, which seems to be in favor of Genetic Entropy.

Does anybody have some thoughts on this?

P.S. Is it just me or does it sound like Genetic Entropy is a reformed term for Muller's Ratchet?

P.S.S. I'm not actually a geneticist or biologist, but I understand some stuff like Transcription, Translation, DNA, etc. So it would be great if somebody could explain this, but still have the detail in it.

P.S.S.S. Could a Mod delete my post in the "Introduction" forum? I posted in the wrong spot. Sad

Thanks! Big Grin
[Image: American+Pi_1f9cca_4991546.png]
RE: Genetic Entropy? (Accidently Posted in "Introductions" Forum)
And here we have the standard creationist tactic of misunderstanding some element of evolution, and then trying to turn that into a problem that doesn't exist. Rolleyes

First of all, nobody ever claimed that natural selection weeds out all negative mutations, just the ones that are fatal more often than not. Obviously, if a negative mutation doesn't result in a significant detriment to the organism's survival chances, then it will persist in those organisms that survive to breeding age with it intact.

So the "evolutionists believe that X, but actually Y! Nyuk, nyuk!" portion of the claim is completely wrong. But more importantly, what the fuck does "wearing out" a genome mean? The contention that since the virus' lethality has been reduced it's therefore "weaker" is absolutely stupid, since a reduction in viral symptoms doesn't necessarily correlate to a reduction in virus survivability. In fact, one could argue that a virus which leaves the host alive does a much better job of surviving; that's why Ebola outbreaks are relatively rare, but we all live with the common cold every year.

There seems to be this idea that there's a pre-set "perfect" genome for things, a specific code for humans, for viruses, for everything, and the more we stray away from that via mutation, the closer we are to disaster. But that's not true, that's just evolution. Things change over time, and mutations accumulate. There's no reason to even believe that negative mutations will stay that way; all it takes is a single generation for a bunch of negative things to evolve a single new trait that "completes" the picture, so to speak, and turns those negatives into one big positive. And that's just ignoring potential environmental changes that might cause us to need that stuff.

And let's say that all those negative mutations do build up and a species goes extinct... so what? That's what happens in nature. Things die. To spin this as evidence against evolution would just be an argument from consequences: "I don't like where this would lead, therefore it can't be true."

Sorry, doesn't work that way, creationists.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(August 13, 2014 at 8:00 am)Esquilax Wrote: And here we have the standard creationist tactic of misunderstanding some element of evolution, and then trying to turn that into a problem that doesn't exist. Rolleyes

First of all, nobody ever claimed that natural selection weeds out all negative mutations, just the ones that are fatal more often than not. Obviously, if a negative mutation doesn't result in a significant detriment to the organism's survival chances, then it will persist in those organisms that survive to breeding age with it intact.

So the "evolutionists believe that X, but actually Y! Nyuk, nyuk!" portion of the claim is completely wrong. But more importantly, what the fuck does "wearing out" a genome mean? The contention that since the virus' lethality has been reduced it's therefore "weaker" is absolutely stupid, since a reduction in viral symptoms doesn't necessarily correlate to a reduction in virus survivability. In fact, one could argue that a virus which leaves the host alive does a much better job of surviving; that's why Ebola outbreaks are relatively rare, but we all live with the common cold every year.

There seems to be this idea that there's a pre-set "perfect" genome for things, a specific code for humans, for viruses, for everything, and the more we stray away from that via mutation, the closer we are to disaster. But that's not true, that's just evolution. Things change over time, and mutations accumulate. There's no reason to even believe that negative mutations will stay that way; all it takes is a single generation for a bunch of negative things to evolve a single new trait that "completes" the picture, so to speak, and turns those negatives into one big positive. And that's just ignoring potential environmental changes that might cause us to need that stuff.

And let's say that all those negative mutations do build up and a species goes extinct... so what? That's what happens in nature. Things die. To spin this as evidence against evolution would just be an argument from consequences: "I don't like where this would lead, therefore it can't be true."

Sorry, doesn't work that way, creationists.

Wow. So much thing I did not think about when I was reading those things. I had a feeling that Jon (or is it John?) Sanford was arguing for devolution, but that doesn't mean Evolution is some how invalid, right?

We know that Evolution doesn't require a "more complex" form to arise, just one that is suited to fit it's environment best, right?

I also remember that there was a research paper that showed evidence of Muller's Ratchet in RNA Viruses, the same class of viruses which the H1N1 virus is in, right?

So how do we know that's it's NOT Muller's Ratchet acting and Genetic Entropy instead?

(Paper here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2247152)
(August 13, 2014 at 8:35 am)OfficerVajardian Wrote: We know that Evolution doesn't require a "more complex" form to arise, just one that is suited to fit it's environment best, right?
Negatron. Evolution doesn't require any specific form to arise, not even one suited to it's environment (and certainly not "best" as it has no means of establishing what that would be). It only states that those "forms" with advantageous mutations are likely to out-compete those which do not have them-at the population level. If evolution required a "form" best suited to it's environment we'd have trouble explaining all of the defunct "forms" laying around.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 13, 2014 at 9:57 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(August 13, 2014 at 8:35 am)OfficerVajardian Wrote: We know that Evolution doesn't require a "more complex" form to arise, just one that is suited to fit it's environment best, right?
Negatron. Evolution doesn't require any specific form to arise, not even one suited to it's environment (and certainly not "best" as it has no means of establishing what that would be). It only states that those "forms" with advantageous mutations are likely to out-compete those which do not have them-at the population level.

Oh, yes, right. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Silly me. I stand corrected! So thank you! Smile
This one is pretty easy to refute. First, get an estimate of how many generations it should take for a species to go extinct because of genetic entropy. Then remember that mice go through three or four generations a year, and figure out how long ago mice would have gone extinct if the earth is 6,000 years old. I've heard 400 generations, which means mice should have gone extinct by at least 3,000 BC.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Arthur: Best laid plans of mice and men.
Slartibartfast: Oh. No, I don't think men had much to do with it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 13, 2014 at 10:01 am)OfficerVajardian Wrote: Oh, yes, right. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Silly me. I stand corrected! So thank you! Smile

lol at Vaj's sig. Good one. Smile
(August 13, 2014 at 12:10 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: This one is pretty easy to refute. First, get an estimate of how many generations it should take for a species to go extinct because of genetic entropy. Then remember that mice go through three or four generations a year, and figure out how long ago mice would have gone extinct if the earth is 6,000 years old. I've heard 400 generations, which means mice should have gone extinct by at least 3,000 BC.

I'm trying to put myself in the creationist's shoes here.

Firstly, not so sure why they are talking about Genetic Entropy supporting creationism. It is self refuting! Why? Why would an omnipotent and omniscient god let this sort of thing happen? That sort of god is very stupid.

Secondly, Agenda, wouldn't the creationist just go and say "Oh the mice isn't extinct because God did it!"?
(August 13, 2014 at 9:29 pm)OfficerVajardian Wrote: Firstly, not so sure why they are talking about Genetic Entropy supporting creationism. It is self refuting! Why? Why would an omnipotent and omniscient god let this sort of thing happen? That sort of god is very stupid.

I think it's another argument from ignorance. Something along the lines of: "If the earth was millions of years old/if things were evolving, then our genetics would all break down due to entropy! Therefore, the earth must be young/there must be a designer making that not happen/evolution doesn't occur!"
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I may have posted the before. This is totally disturbing to me. brewer 6 1055 April 12, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  New Letters Added to the Genetic Alphabet IATIA 6 1877 July 16, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Genetic study suggest Polynesians had contact with Native Americans before Columbus Anomalocaris 0 922 October 26, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Interesting Genetic Finding Minimalist 17 3073 July 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Cybernectics vs Genetic Engineering bladevalant546 13 5907 July 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Homosexuality: it's genetic expression, not genetics, that determines homosexuality TaraJo 16 6312 December 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Genetic Modification Reforged 16 6346 September 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  DNA of girl from cave gives up genetic secrets frankiej 0 1291 August 31, 2012 at 11:31 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Genetic Drift is important The_Flying_Skeptic 4 2442 April 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist