Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cybernectics vs Genetic Engineering
Cybernectics vs Genetic Engineering
Out of advances in cybernetics and genetic engineering. Which one you think will win out?
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Cybernectics vs Genetic Engineering
What do you mean "win out"? Genetics is unlikely to enable you to shoot lasers out of your eye balls, where as cybenetics is unlikely to remedie the fact that you are congenitally sterile.
I'd like both, but I really want some nipple lights like Franky in my avatar. Wink
Cunt
We are the Borg. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is Futile.
(July 8, 2013 at 5:15 pm)Chuck Wrote: What do you mean "win out"? Genetics is unlikely to enable you to shoot lasers out of your eye balls, where as cybenetics is unlikely to remedie the fact that you are congenitally sterile.

Indeed you ask an valid question, this mainly has something to do with the concept of what will profit the most. Since both will bring about some interesting biological implications, which one through corporations will out do the other if that is the case. It is a sci-fi story I am working on , however wanted to see if any biologists have opinions on this.

For the near future, it appears to me human genetic engineering have more potential to better address a more diverse range of life threatening issues. So I think the total revenue involved in human genetic engineering will be larger.

In the long run, obviously cybernetics has much more potential because its capabilities are not coupled to the intrinsic limitation of biochemistry and the working of genetic mechanisms of life. So eventually the impact of ybernetics on the society will overwhelm that of genetic engineering.

If we postulate cybernetics will also develop along nanotechnology lines, then I think it is reasonable to suppose the line between genetic engineering and cybernetics will blur, as nano machines might be used to directly interfere and manipulate celluar protein synthesis (ie the other important role of genes besides heritability of biological traits) in real time to achieve the desired cyberno-genetic results.
(July 8, 2013 at 6:06 pm)Chuck Wrote: For the near future, it appears to me human genetic engineering have more potential to better address a more diverse range of life threatening issues. So I think the total revenue involved in human genetic engineering will be larger.

In the long run, obviously cybernetics has much more potential because its capabilities are not coupled to the intrinsic limitation of biochemistry and the working of genetic mechanisms of life. So eventually the impact of ybernetics on the society will overwhelm that of genetic engineering.

If we postulate cybernetics will also develop along nanotechnology lines, then I think it is reasonable to suppose the line between genetic engineering and cybernetics will blur, as nano machines might be used to directly interfere and manipulate celluar protein synthesis (ie the other important role of genes besides heritability of biological traits) in real time to achieve the desired cyberno-genetic results.

That observation is reasonable, I found that it is rather interesting prospect of our future. Granted such advances are supressed to the everyday man. I think it is an area to explore considering it is in the near future. Concerning nanobots, I am curious on what kind of outcome will begot from that technology. I believe to some extent it might replace biological life.

I don't think such advances will be denied to the everyday men for very long. The real profit obviously comes from marketing such technologies as cybernets to as wide and audience as possible, sort of like iphones.

In my opinion, nanobots will have a much more dramatic impact on human lives than either genetic engineering or macro-scale cybernets. Given the experience with semi-conductor manufacturing and Moore's law, I think it is reasonable to suppose once nanobots begin to become feasible, its prices will sooon fall, capabilities and the number in which it can be manufactured will soon increase along an exponential curve. Within a few decades of the first nanobot, I imagine nanobots will become as pervasive as grains of sand. They would become cheap enough to sell in lots of thousands, or million, and instead of individually being a kind of specific appliances, they can become almost like intelligent raw material.

You can for example manufacture nanobots that can act as a sort of sand in cement, giving buildings made from this cement the ability to change shape arbitrarily on command. You can have nanobots that can float through your blood like redblood cells and make specific targetd repairs at cellular level. You can scatter nanobots in the billions like dust in the wind, and track them and have them report temperature, humidity, etc to produce incredibly detailed and therefore accurate and precise weather forecast. Such nanobots can also enforce surveillence society of a kind that will give NRA ejactulations. These nanobots can be sprinkled like dust onto the unsuspecting and give those who spy on you access to literally everything you seem tough, smell and feel, along with others, without you ever being the wiser.
I'd say gen engi. The roi on an inserted gene is massive.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm hoping that we'll be genetically engineered to grow our own cybernetic limbs.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Letters Added to the Genetic Alphabet IATIA 6 1877 July 16, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Reverse Engineering a Dinosaur? Minimalist 10 2952 May 15, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Genetic study suggest Polynesians had contact with Native Americans before Columbus Anomalocaris 0 922 October 26, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Genetic Entropy? (Accidently Posted in "Introductions" Forum) OfficerVajardian 11 5169 August 14, 2014 at 2:23 am
Last Post: OfficerVajardian
  Interesting Genetic Finding Minimalist 17 3074 July 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Biomimetics: physiology augments engineering Coffee Jesus 0 602 May 9, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  Homosexuality: it's genetic expression, not genetics, that determines homosexuality TaraJo 16 6312 December 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Genetic Modification Reforged 16 6346 September 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  DNA of girl from cave gives up genetic secrets frankiej 0 1291 August 31, 2012 at 11:31 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Genetic Drift is important The_Flying_Skeptic 4 2442 April 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist