Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Letters Added to the Genetic Alphabet
New Letters Added to the Genetic Alphabet
It would seem that god did not choose the best DNA structure.

Quote:The new nucleotides even outperform their natural counterparts. When challenged to evolve a segment that selectively binds to cancer cells, DNA sequences using P and Z did better than those without.

Link
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: New Letters Added to the Genetic Alphabet
Please remember, God only understands analogue... All this modern digital science bullshit didn't exist billions of years ago...  Give the old bloke a chance....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
When this gets out the anti genetic modification sect will have a shit fit. god damn it, you'll make a virus that will kill us all!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Oh yeah, I have been waiting on that. Nothing can go wrong. If you don not believe me, just go ask the 'killer bees'.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(July 16, 2015 at 6:04 pm)IATIA Wrote: Oh yeah, I have been waiting on that.  Nothing can go wrong.  If you don not believe me, just go ask the 'killer bees'.
Have they given the  chemical structure of the P and Z nucleotides?
I did not find it, but I did find another article on life.  It turns out that life might be a necessary part of the entropy of the universe.

The formula, based on established physics, indicates that when a group of atoms is driven by an external source of energy (like the sun or chemical fuel) and surrounded by a heat bath (like the ocean or atmosphere), it will often gradually restructure itself in order to dissipate increasingly more energy. This could mean that under certain conditions, matter inexorably acquires the key physical attribute associated with life.

Also this. Randomness itself may be the universal 'intelligent designer'.

Actually, randomness can be very powerful. When coupled with nonrandom selection and given enough time and iterations (such as in the process of evolution), randomness can exhaust almost all possible variations on a design, inevitably generating exquisite products that seem to have been planned with obsessive attention to detail.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
Extremely interesting. Back in undergrad (1978) we ran the Miller/Urey experiment and did manage to make very short chain amino acids.

http://people.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise_...iller.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bumblebee officially added to endangered species list Foxaèr 13 1331 July 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Genetic study suggest Polynesians had contact with Native Americans before Columbus Anomalocaris 0 922 October 26, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Genetic Entropy? (Accidently Posted in "Introductions" Forum) OfficerVajardian 11 5169 August 14, 2014 at 2:23 am
Last Post: OfficerVajardian
  Interesting Genetic Finding Minimalist 17 3074 July 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Cybernectics vs Genetic Engineering bladevalant546 13 5908 July 10, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Homosexuality: it's genetic expression, not genetics, that determines homosexuality TaraJo 16 6312 December 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Genetic Modification Reforged 16 6346 September 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  DNA of girl from cave gives up genetic secrets frankiej 0 1291 August 31, 2012 at 11:31 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Genetic Drift is important The_Flying_Skeptic 4 2442 April 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist