Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution now part of the English primary national curriculum
Evolution now part of the English primary national curriculum
https://humanism.org.uk/2014/09/01/evolu...urriculum/

Quote:[British Humanist Association] Education Campaigner Richy Thompson commented, ‘Scientists and educators have long told us that evolution is such a central idea to biology that it should be taught from a primary level instead of at GCSE. It is vital that every young person has a good understanding of how life came to be and we are pleased that today’s changes mean that from now on, young people will have more opportunities to learn about such an important topic and from an earlier age at that. We’re pleased to see the fulfilment today of our decade-long campaign.’

Good news, but still very sad that it's taken until well into the 21st century for it to happen.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Evolution now part of the English primary national curriculum
(September 1, 2014 at 8:39 pm)Stimbo Wrote: https://humanism.org.uk/2014/09/01/evolu...urriculum/

Quote:[British Humanist Association] Education Campaigner Richy Thompson commented, ‘Scientists and educators have long told us that evolution is such a central idea to biology that it should be taught from a primary level instead of at GCSE. It is vital that every young person has a good understanding of how life came to be and we are pleased that today’s changes mean that from now on, young people will have more opportunities to learn about such an important topic and from an earlier age at that. We’re pleased to see the fulfilment today of our decade-long campaign.’

Good news, but still very sad that it's taken until well into the 21st century for it to happen.

Excellent.

Agree with the sentiment that it's long overdue.

In an age where we should be progressing beyond our childhood as a species, those who believe in myths are still trying to hold us back.
Dying to live, living to die.
Great news!

Also agree with the sentiment that it shouldn't have taken this long for this to happen. Evolution is such a fundamental and established theory that it seems irresponsible to me to not properly educate kids on it from a primary level and even below and onwards. Kids should be given a proper and complete scientific education along with critical thinking skills.
Wink 
Singularity

[Image: moores-law-graph-gif.png]
Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.” ~L. Drachman

4 HorsemenJesus Stoning
Thanks for sharing. Why you didn't start your own thread on it escapes me, however.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Makes me wonder if the US was better off as a british colony.
(September 1, 2014 at 9:22 pm)Surgenator Wrote: Makes me wonder if the US was better off as a british colony.

Yeah it will be very nice and a huge sign of progress when the US embraces something similar to this in a wide scale.

I don't live in there but I find it baffling that the US has such a high percentage of creationists and that evolution is seen as controversial by a large part of the general public.
I agree with this of course but I don't know what is primary curriculum in Britain - If it's primary school then I think evolution should only be taught by the basics, not everything - Little kids should be more concerned about learning how to read and do proper maths.

I was taught evolution at science classes during school and also during history lessons up to highschool, and I think this is the norm, you can't teach adam and eve in school duh.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Even the Creationist's arguments against evolution have evolved over time.

Evolution is universal.
(September 1, 2014 at 8:39 pm)Stimbo Wrote: https://humanism.org.uk/2014/09/01/evolu...urriculum/

Don't be embarrassed. It took until well into the 21st century for your English speaking cousins on this side of the Atlantic also. It must be a Anglo-Saxon thing.

The minor difference between us is where as you are already in your 21st century, we are still in our 16th.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another gun discussion part deux. Drich 66 2519 October 8, 2020 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The worst part of the pandemic - onlinebiker 19 1553 April 4, 2020 at 7:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Part of Notre Dame on fire. Brian37 98 5315 April 19, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  I love AOC part 2 bennyboy 108 6511 April 7, 2019 at 7:22 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  I don't like AOC and her fake new fans part 1 Drich 12 1627 February 20, 2019 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  BREAKING:The Turkish president refused to accept the U.S National Security Advisor WinterHold 1 446 January 9, 2019 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The National Assclown is a National Embarrassment Minimalist 36 1845 October 2, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  This topic from 2016, proved true in 2018, read and do your part WinterHold 0 335 September 8, 2018 at 8:40 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Gay conversion therapy' to be banned as part of LGBT equality plan possibletarian 9 1257 July 4, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Space Directive Un, Part Duex...no trois..no.... The Grand Nudger 44 7096 December 19, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire