Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
god can do anything, but he cannot be tempted nor tempteth he any man
god can do anything, but he cannot be tempted nor tempteth he any man
Hi everyone. Sup

I'll start by saying that I was raised in a very religious home. I was home schooled with biblically based academic textbooks. I was taught to reject any ideas or influences that 'weren't of God.' I witnessed my girlfriend's mom casting out demons and interpreting dreams. I've seen some crazy shit. And I thought it was all completely normal.

I lived in a bubble where all of the history and symbolism in the bible fit neatly together. And you could feel the presence of God moving through the church on Sunday when people prayed and cried out in funny languages. They prayed for me but I never received the gift. Maybe I was just scared or didn't have enough faith. But I didn't want to fake it if I didn't really have it.

I quit the church band and various other ministries shortly after graduating school and moving out. I realized for the first time that I had to choose to go. I chose not to. A few years later I began to miss it and wanted to go back. But I decided that first I would seek out God on my own terms.

After two years of honest questioning and searching I consistently arrived at the same conclusion: to find God, I must first have faith without evidence. Only then can God reveal himself to me through his spirit. I called bullshit on the whole thing and called out to God personally. I exist, here I am. If you're real all I ask is that you can show yourself the same as I've done.

It was at that point that I dared to see the world from an atheist perspective for the first time. And it all makes so much more sense now. Each new revelation about how the world works was exciting and life changing. It's been two years and God still has yet to prove his existence. Tongue
Oh, and I don't have a soul to save
Yes and I sin every single day
RE: god can do anything, but he cannot be tempted nor tempteth he any man
Well... indoctrination sure can go wrong!

Welcome aboard and enjoy the forum!
Don't worry. After all, I don't really have a choice in this anyway. Wink

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
(September 9, 2014 at 4:14 am)backslider Wrote: Hi everyone. Sup

I'll start by saying that I was raised in a very religious home. I was home schooled with biblically based academic textbooks. I was taught to reject any ideas or influences that 'weren't of God.' I witnessed my girlfriend's mom casting out demons and interpreting dreams. I've seen some crazy shit. And I thought it was all completely normal.

I lived in a bubble where all of the history and symbolism in the bible fit neatly together. And you could feel the presence of God moving through the church on Sunday when people prayed and cried out in funny languages. They prayed for me but I never received the gift. Maybe I was just scared or didn't have enough faith. But I didn't want to fake it if I didn't really have it.

I quit the church band and various other ministries shortly after graduating school and moving out. I realized for the first time that I had to choose to go. I chose not to. A few years later I began to miss it and wanted to go back. But I decided that first I would seek out God on my own terms.

After two years of honest questioning and searching I consistently arrived at the same conclusion: to find God, I must first have faith without evidence. Only then can God reveal himself to me through his spirit. I called bullshit on the whole thing and called out to God personally. I exist, here I am. If you're real all I ask is that you can show yourself the same as I've done.

It was at that point that I dared to see the world from an atheist perspective for the first time. And it all makes so much more sense now. Each new revelation about how the world works was exciting and life changing. It's been two years and God still has yet to prove his existence. Tongue

On the point of the title of your post, there is a well known philosophical problem called the Omnipotence Paradox, originally identified by a 12th Century Islamic philosopher called Averroës, which is a very simple question, can god deny himself?

It illuminates an interesting paradox in the concept of omnipotence doesn't it.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Hello you dirty Backslider! Welcome
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(September 9, 2014 at 4:53 am)ManMachine Wrote: On the point of the title of your post, there is a well known philosophical problem called the Omnipotence Paradox, originally identified by a 12th Century Islamic philosopher called Averroës, which is a very simple question, can god deny himself?

It illuminates an interesting paradox in the concept of omnipotence doesn't it.

MM
That's an interesting concept. Simple, but effective. It's like the old 'can God make a rock so big he can't lift it' question. Spoiler alert: an unstoppable force and an immovable object are the same thing.

(September 9, 2014 at 5:10 am)Exian Wrote: Hello you dirty Backslider! Welcome
Wewt! Smile
(September 9, 2014 at 4:14 am)backslider Wrote: Hi everyone. Sup

have you ever had a dream where god has directly spoken to you and shown you things?

also would you consider that evidence?
(September 9, 2014 at 4:14 am)backslider Wrote: I lived in a bubble where all of the history and symbolism in the bible fit neatly together.
I know what that's like. If you're the type of person who needs to make sure, you'll eventually wind up where you are now, IMO. Any belief system that demands that you not consider it too critically will fail easily once you step out of that bubble. I expected more from god than that.

Welcome to the forums.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Hey there welcome Smile

Yes it's ridiculous this idea that you must believe and then god will reveal himself... it's ludicrous.

So you have to become deluded, in order to experience delusions? You have to force yourself to believe something, which is impossible anyway?

You have to disregard all the intelligence that you have been given by whatever "god" and just believe what people around you and some stupid book say?

If god really existed people wouldn't have to come up with such stupid, convoluted arguments.

Welcome aboard, have fun!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 9, 2014 at 4:14 am)backslider Wrote: It's been two years and God still has yet to prove his existence. Tongue

And God's been all like...
[Image: 0013.gif]

Anyway, welcome :-)
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information I am not a sock puppet, nor is my wife. Anymouse 30 8451 June 20, 2011 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Anymouse