Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah could end homelessness
Utah could end homelessness
http://nationswell.com/one-state-track-b...ness-2015/

Utah has already reduced homelessness in the state by 74 percent by putting up homeless people in free apartments until they can get back on their feet. Of course, they would eliminate homelessness more easily if they cracked down on Mormon parents and their tendency to kick out LGBT youth, but that's another fish to fry. I'm impressed with what Utah is doing so far, and if it works, it will hopefully be emulated across the country.
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
RE: Utah could end homelessness
You know, that's a pretty simple and compassionate way to address a very serious problem - and it makes economic sense as well.
That's awesome. Best news I've heard come out of Utah in a while.

It really does just take a few months with a permanent address in order to get back on your feet. I think the biggest issue when homeless and trying to get back into the work force is not having an address (you can't get a PO Box without a residential address) for job applications/receive mail and not having a place to sleep/shower/keep clothes clean, etc.

If I can ever afford it I would like to start up a home for kicked out LGBT* youth. Just a safe place to go while they figure out the next step.
"Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing else."
— Victoria Woodhull, “And the truth shall make you free,” a speech on the principles of social freedom, 1871
(September 10, 2014 at 2:52 pm)Keri Wrote: That's awesome. Best news I've heard come out of Utah in a while.

It really does just take a few months with a permanent address in order to get back on your feet. I think the biggest issue when homeless and trying to get back into the work force is not having an address (you can't get a PO Box without a residential address) for job applications/receive mail and not having a place to sleep/shower/keep clothes clean, etc.

If I can ever afford it I would like to start up a home for kicked out LGBT* youth. Just a safe place to go while they figure out the next step.

I talked to a guy once who basically only had enough money to rent out a storage unit with all his stuff in it that he slept in. I helped him find a place that could use his skills as a groundskeeper (or whatever it's called) but after that I'm not sure what happened. I hope that he got a job, but without that address, you're right, it's difficult. And I really do hope that you get that home up and running, because that would really be helpful.
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
Yeah I hope so too. I think it would mean having to move closer to the Bible Belt though. The area I am from is really liberal and it doesn't seem to be an issue. I do think know anyone who was kicked out after coming out.

Sadly it's really common in southern and mid western states.
"Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing else."
— Victoria Woodhull, “And the truth shall make you free,” a speech on the principles of social freedom, 1871
I wouldn't create an institution just to help out LGBT people because I feel like that's discrimination - What about JW's or Muslims kicked out of the house for being atheists or simply de-converting? What about those who even suffered family violence? I prefer to create an institution to help out people who were victims of religious intolerance (including LGBT) Big Grin

I think Utah's method is good, but tell me something, do these people actually get stable lives again? Don't they use the system to live on the state's money? I could imagine this method applied here and that's what would happen.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bigamy is no longer a felony in Utah Fake Messiah 26 2011 May 22, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The end of the Artic Ice Sheets? Jehanne 47 3257 April 12, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Donald Trump's wife says she "could be the most bullied person in the world" Seraphina 22 2750 October 14, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Oh, Who Could Have Guessed? Minimalist 9 1299 September 16, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What Could Go Wrong? Minimalist 2 361 August 27, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Australia - New Prime Minister by the end of Today? fromdownunder 28 1834 August 26, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  This Could Be A Bad Day For Whiny Little Bitches Minimalist 20 1432 August 23, 2018 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  ASAP releases a report on the end of tobacco. The Grand Nudger 14 1621 April 5, 2018 at 1:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  On Fox: "Trump could beat Jesus and Mary in 2020" Fake Messiah 12 1658 January 11, 2018 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  I Could Not Agree More Minimalist 2 348 November 16, 2017 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fireball