Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASAP releases a report on the end of tobacco.
ASAP releases a report on the end of tobacco.
With all the crap ag news coming out...this is a breath of fresh air.

the conclusion -
Quote:The end of the federal tobacco program had a dramatic impact on the farms and communities of the burley tobacco growing region of WNC. Burley tobacco, and the federal program that supported it, uniquely protected the small farms that dominate the mountainous region of North Carolina. Anticipating the impact the loss of tobacco would have on communities, a group of farmers and citizens launched a local food campaign in 2000 to provide farmers with alternatives to tobacco. Localizing markets for farmers, it was hoped, would provide a place-based solution that engaged the greater community in the future of farming for the region. An analysis of the data from the Census of Agriculture period from just before the 1998 MSA to just after the end of federal support for tobacco with the passage of the 2004 Fair and Equitable Tobacco Reform Act provided the opportunity to analyze the changes in agriculture in the region as they related to tobacco and local food production. The findings are striking - the region has all but lost tobacco while concurrently and significantly shifting to food production and local sales. Though the region did experience a dramatic loss of farms with the end of tobacco, the census period just after the 2004 buyout shows the region’s farm loss leveled off with a rate far less than the state and US loss rates. While local food has not replaced tobacco as a means of livelihood for the farmers of the region, it has emerged as a leading new direction for agriculture
http://asapconnections.org/

-some gems, but you'd have to slog through the report (it;s a quick read) in transition..is that there were a significant number of producers who went from burley to melons.   Gotta make you smile.  Cancer sticks to cantaloupes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: ASAP releases a report on the end of tobacco.
In the US tobacco kills more than 480,000 people annually – more than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders and suicides combined.

You can add police shootings, pitbulls, and lightning to that if you want.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It's production hasn't been treating rural america well, either.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It's time this horrific product die .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

'My grandfather never smoked a day in his life, and cigarettes STILL killed him.'  'How is that possible?'  'A tobacco lorry ran over his nice, clean lungs.'

(old Spike Milligan joke)

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I quit cold turkey in 1988. If I hadn't I'd been long dead by now.

(April 4, 2018 at 3:38 pm)Khemikal Wrote: With all the crap ag news coming out...this is a breath of fresh air.

the conclusion -
Quote:The end of the federal tobacco program had a dramatic impact on the farms and communities of the burley tobacco growing region of WNC. Burley tobacco, and the federal program that supported it, uniquely protected the small farms that dominate the mountainous region of North Carolina. Anticipating the impact the loss of tobacco would have on communities, a group of farmers and citizens launched a local food campaign in 2000 to provide farmers with alternatives to tobacco. Localizing markets for farmers, it was hoped, would provide a place-based solution that engaged the greater community in the future of farming for the region. An analysis of the data from the Census of Agriculture period from just before the 1998 MSA to just after the end of federal support for tobacco with the passage of the 2004 Fair and Equitable Tobacco Reform Act provided the opportunity to analyze the changes in agriculture in the region as they related to tobacco and local food production. The findings are striking - the region has all but lost tobacco while concurrently and significantly shifting to food production and local sales. Though the region did experience a dramatic loss of farms with the end of tobacco, the census period just after the 2004 buyout shows the region’s farm loss leveled off with a rate far less than the state and US loss rates. While local food has not replaced tobacco as a means of livelihood for the farmers of the region, it has emerged as a leading new direction for agriculture
http://asapconnections.org/

-some gems, but you'd have to slog through the report (it;s a quick read) in transition..is that there were a significant number of producers who went from burley to melons.   Gotta make you smile.  Cancer sticks to cantaloupes.

And the meth business is booming too. No more nasty tobaccy, hurt the lungs.
(April 4, 2018 at 4:40 pm)Khemikal Wrote: It's production hasn't been treating rural america well, either.

idk if anyone was getting rich off tobacco.  It was a family event when it was time to sort and bale and I don't remember seeing any Rolls Royce tractors or BIG ASS CHAINS.  It was a way to make a living and a dam hard one at that.
A 2003 report.

http://nationalaglawcenter.org/wp-conten...L30947.pdf

Quote:Examination of historical tobacco data reveals a declining long-term trend in the
utilization of tobacco by U.S. manufacturers and leaf exporters. While world tobacco
exports increased over the past two decades, U.S. leaf tobacco exports declined in
relative and absolute terms. Cigarette manufacturers have been increasing the use of
less expensive foreign tobacco and decreasing the use of more costly U.S.-grown
tobacco. Now, actions taken asa result of the 1998 Master Settlement Agreement
between cigarette manufacturers and states’ attorneys general are further diminishing
the consumption of tobacco products in the United States. Cigarette exports also
have been declining recently in contrast to a history of growth.

As smoking in the US has declined precipitously the tobacco companies are content to poison the third world.
We had some locals getting rich of tobacco insurance fraud, recently..but..yeah, it's always been a shitty living.  Worse now, but still there's not alot else for tobacco producers to do until someone can show them a proven crop that will work in their region - hence the value of this study.
Hemp and papver somniferum would work.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americ...na-n764801

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The end of the Artic Ice Sheets? Jehanne 47 3261 April 12, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Australia - New Prime Minister by the end of Today? fromdownunder 28 1835 August 26, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Omarosa releases secret tape of Lara Trump offering her $15K-a-month campaign job Aegon 12 1885 August 17, 2018 at 6:27 am
Last Post: GUBU
  The End Of An Era For Canadian Journalism Amarok 0 576 July 2, 2017 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Amarok
  When is the industrial hell going to end? WinterHold 30 5444 April 28, 2016 at 5:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "To Kill A Mockingbird" Author Releases New Book Secular Elf 8 1627 July 13, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Utah could end homelessness StealthySkeptic 5 1078 September 11, 2014 at 6:37 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  You're not allowed to end it all. Ever. Welsh cake 45 9773 July 3, 2014 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Jenny A