Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism
Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism
The absolute nature of the claims made by scientific fundamentalists seem to depend upon current technology and the accumulation of observation, experience, and opinion formed by those deemed worthy of forming such an opinion. As far as I’m aware, there are no experts who claim to be omniscient, wherefore we must always consider that there may be variables uncontrolled for and information left out.

Atheists, how are you sure that any of the science is the truth? How can you tell? When we have no choice but to accept given after given to try to understand what we’re observing, how can we ever know anything for sure? When “scientific facts” often don’t live up to their predictions, how can we trust? There are many claims about the truth of reality, and many people who pose themselves as experts capable of making such claims. As for me, however, I trust that I perceive. I trust that I observe and form opinion. Beyond that, I humbly admit that I am ignorant with regard to the truth.

How are you so confident?
RE: Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism
When "scientific facts" don't live up to predictions, they aren't facts. They're wrong. Back to the drawing board. When theories do allow us to make predictions that then come to pass and are repeatable, you can trust that. Kind of easy to differentiate, really.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
After seeing the OP's other threads, I'm calling it right now: spammer and troll.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
Who are these 'scientific fundamentalists' you speak of.

All scientists understand that conclusions that come from the scientific method are provisional, not absolute.

Science is not a thing, it is a method for observing the natural universe. There is no 'truth' in science, only what fits the preponderance of evidence.

When scientific facts don't live up to predictions, they were not facts, and whatever theory they were meant to support is modified with the new information taken into consideration.

How can we trust science? Because it works. Why are we do confident in the scientific method? To repeat, because it works.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I'm withholding judgment until he's done dumping his years worth of Microsoft Word documents to see if he actually engages in conversation. I think you're right though.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(September 11, 2014 at 12:09 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: The absolute nature of the claims made by scientific fundamentalists seem to depend upon current technology and the accumulation of observation, experience, and opinion formed by those deemed worthy of forming such an opinion. As far as I’m aware, there are no experts who claim to be omniscient, wherefore we must always consider that there may be variables uncontrolled for and information left out.

Atheists, how are you sure that any of the science is the truth? How can you tell? When we have no choice but to accept given after given to try to understand what we’re observing, how can we ever know anything for sure? When “scientific facts” often don’t live up to their predictions, how can we trust? There are many claims about the truth of reality, and many people who pose themselves as experts capable of making such claims. As for me, however, I trust that I perceive. I trust that I observe and form opinion. Beyond that, I humbly admit that I am ignorant with regard to the truth.

Replace "scientific" with "factual", and you have your answer, but you will be unlikely to grasp the subtlety, nor would you likely refrain from obfuscation.
(September 11, 2014 at 12:09 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: The absolute nature of the claims made by scientific fundamentalists seem to depend upon current technology and the accumulation of observation, experience, and opinion formed by those deemed worthy of forming such an opinion. As far as I’m aware, there are no experts who claim to be omniscient, wherefore we must always consider that there may be variables uncontrolled for and information left out.

Do you have the slightest idea of what science is? Let me wiki that for you...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Stop making an embarassment of yourself, please.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."

Because 1+1=2
Because cars drive
Because planes fly
Because computers compute
Because we can change the morphology and genetics of animals and plants by manipulating their genes, thus proving evolution.

Do you get what I'm saying?
Every single modern convenience, every piece of technology that you enjoy today is down to science.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Funny thing about science, is I true rather or you believe it. -Thank you Neil The Grass Tyson.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
I'm just curiuous as to what is our atheist 'dogma'?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6747 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15597 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  [Serious] Atheist Dogma Prof.Lunaphiles 296 21010 April 23, 2020 at 10:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheistic calendar Interaktive 38 3506 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9660 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  One more dogma to add to the rest. Little Rik 102 22450 August 30, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2618 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6769 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4072 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2562 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska